Number 1 or number 2?

THIS might help.

Number 1 is the setting that allows the least amount of gas through, while number 2 allows more for really light loads. If you can make everything work on setting 1, leave it there. Only go to setting 2 if the rounds aren't cycling/ejecting properly.

Because I am lazy and don't want to re-type everything:

Okay, for the newbies (I was one as well not long ago):

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~Magnum vs. Non-Magnum

~~~~Technically for the .410ga. "magnum" means a 3" shell with a heavy hunting load at maximum safe pressure.

~~~~Realistically "magnum" means a shell that will cycle the action on the more constricted #1 setting.

~~~~General "rule of thumb" = 3" shells are magnum and 2-1/2" shells are non-magnum for the .410ga. There is the occasional exceptions to the rule that you should mentally note for further refrence. For example my gun will cycle the Federal brand 2-1/2" slugs on the magnum setting. In addition guns are all slightly different from one to the other of the same model and where as yours may cycle one shell on a certain setting mine won't or visa versa.

~~~~Best policy, is to attempt to fire a clip full of a specific shell through your gun on the magnum setting (#1) and if the action does not fully cycle or jambs up then switch to the non-magnum setting (#2). A magnum shell will cycle on both the magnum and non-magnum settings but using it with the non-magnum setting works the action extra hard and increases the wear and tear on your gun over time.

~~~~If you leave your Saiga-410 loaded next to the bed-side leave it on the non-magnum (#2) setting. It will thus cycle any shell you put in it. Yes, it will be a little harder on the gun, but not enough to worry about in a fire-fight and will actually help make sure you get no jams. You don't want to be fiddling with the gas piston setting when someone is shooting at you !!!!

~Specific info on Saiga-410 Gas Piston Settings

~~~~ Setting #1 is for magnum shells. This setting constricts the gas flow slightly to save wear and tear on the guns action when using magnum shells.

~~~~ Setting #2 is for lighter shells (including the vast majority of 2-1/2" shells). This setting eliminates the constriction and is "wide open throttle."

~~~~ Specific graphical illustration of the two settings:

2007-11-08_232723_Saiga-410_Gas_Valve.JPG

~Specific info on using 2-1/2" shells in Saiga-410

~~~~Must have adjustable gas valve or limit yourself to 2-1/2" loads hot enough to work the action --- the only hot factory load I know of is the Federal brand slugs and they may not work for every gun like they do for mine.

~~~~ For standard 3" mag it is possible to load and fire two (2) of the shorter shells. Load the mag with a single shell. Put the mag in the gun and work the action to chamber the round. Turn safety on and remove the mag and again load a single round. Replace the mag and you will have one shell in the chamber and one in the mag. At least on my gun this single 2-1/2" shell in a 3" mag will feed correctly for a second shot.

~~~~ Get yourself a dedicated 2-1/2" mag. Here is a link to where I bought mine and it works great: http://www.armsofamerica.com/magazines/saigamags.html -- mag for 410 2-1/2" shells is the forth one down on the page.

I understand that some of the earlier manuals have the number settings switched, and that causes the confusion in some cases, plus, the system defies logic, 1 should indicate smaller than, IE, use this for little shells, 2 then, should be the bigger setting, IE, big shells, but the designers think opposite, so remember one is little gas, two is double gas, and you should be OK.

I know which is right, but my brain still wants to link the settings to the former logic.