Anyone sell an accurized S.308?

Well, has he contacted them about it? didn"t they mention some sort of $2800 price tag? Seems like the place to start, or just get a S-308 and find a good gunsmith.

Cheaper to get a M1A and work with it. Much more available for that rifle.

Well, has he contacted them about it? didn"t they mention some sort of $2800 price tag? Seems like the place to start, or just get a S-308 and find a good gunsmith.

Cheaper to get a M1A and work with it. Much more available for that rifle.

Might as well keep it real, exactly like you said.

The RJF gun was an exhibition gun to prove what the AK platform could do in the face of naysayers, not a cheaper alternative to a better platform for the intended use.

That said, if they'll sell one and you(your friend) has his heart set on that specifically with money to burn, then I suppose go for it.

After seeing how accurate my 16" barreled saiga in 308win is at 100yds with surplus ammo i figure the 21" barreled 308win saiga with a better quality ammo would go out to the farther distances. I find it odd no one has tried the 21" 308 saiga at the farther distances. All i have here is 100yd ranges. Everyone wants to rework the saiga before even trying it at the longer distances.

I been wondering if my newly aquired m14 will shoot as good as my 308 saiga's? There's a shoot off comming soon. The $289 308 saiga against my $799 norinco m14. The norc's usually go for $1,200 + here.

RJF did say there ak sniper was the fisrt semi auto to go longer distances. I guess they never heard of the m14?

I like to see a gun benchrested first to see if it meets there claims. Blowing up explosive charges doesn't mean squat to me the paper does the talking. If its that great then take it to camp perry.

Edited by Unknown Poster

Honestly, that episode of RJF really turned me off to the show. Stock versions of the S308 can shoot 1-2 MOA with decent ammo. Suarez has essentially listed a few rifles capable of pushing out to 1000 yards in one of his classes (FAL, AR10, M1A, S308, and even some PSLs)- http://www.warriortalknews.com/2010/10/the-guerrilla-sniper-revisited.html#tp

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the S308 that RJF made was of considerable quality, but the cost to reward ratio is just way off IMO for a gun that could already pull off the degree of accuracy required for 1000 yard ranges.

the cost to reward ratio is just way off IMO for a gun that could already pull off the degree of accuracy required for 1000 yard ranges.

Sure, much in the way custom work on cars is. If factory performance is adequate for your needs you would be a fool to buy a custom.

I really think the barrel used was a little overkill. The free floating rig, and a match barrel with their other improvements was probably more then enough. But I know when it comes down to it, shop time is more expensive then parts and they have a time table for projects. Plus for what it is, the heavy barrel is not a bad thing.

The factory Saiga .308 action is more then enough for my needs.

....Stock versions of the S308 can shoot 1-2 MOA with decent ammo. ....

And you will never see it in the real world. The only place this seems to happen, is on the Internet. Please don't offer any "Me and Joe were shooting down by the creek and...." stores as support by this statement. You NEVER see these types of rifles being shot to that effect in High Powered Competition and you never will.

The only reason I am stating this is for the benefit of the truly uninformed who on reading these type of statements will buy these rifles and then post here in fruitless threads wondering endlessly why their S308 will not shoot "1-2 MOA." :)

The S308 is a very good rifle, it is just not a platform intended for the type of accuracy we are talking about here and most attemps to make it so will destroy most of the things that make the AK great for what it is.

And you will never see it in the real world. The only place this seems to happen, is on the Internet. Please don't offer any "Me and Joe were shooting down by the creek and...." stores as support by this statement. You NEVER see these types of rifles being shot to that effect in High Powered Competition and you never will.

The only reason I am stating this is for the benefit of the truly uninformed who on reading these type of statements will buy these rifles and then post here in fruitless threads wondering endlessly why their S308 will not shoot "1-2 MOA." :)

The S308 is a very good rifle, it is just not a platform intended for the type of accuracy we are talking about here and most attemps to make it so will destroy most of the things that make the AK great for what it is.

I just wanna drop my $0.02

Out of the box with whatever ammo the particular rifle likes best and with a good rifleman behind the trigger, some S.308s will shoot 2-3 MOA fairly consistently.

But, it is my personal experience with my rifle and the range reports of other's on this forum, that that 2-3 MOA is not repeatable enough to be considered definitive.

Inconsistencies in commercial/milsurp ammo and inherent to the AKs action, cause some groups to open up to 3-6 MOA, and see a flyer here and there.

These are designed as minute of man rifles, they are not precision bolt guns for target shooting.

A good rifleman finding themselves with that fairly consistent 2-3 MOA rifle, may with carefully developed hand loads, keep that 2-3 MOA and perhaps do a little better from time to time.

:2c:

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 1

I just wanna drop my $0.02

Out of the box with whatever ammo the particular rifle likes best and with a good rifleman behind the trigger, some S.308s will shoot 2-3 MOA fairly consistently.

But, it is my personal experience with my rifle and the range reports of other's on this forum, that that 2-3 MOA is not repeatable enough to be considered definitive.

Inconsistencies in commercial/milsurp ammo and inherent to the AKs action, cause some groups to open up to 3-6 MOA, and see a flyer here and there.

These are designed as minute of man rifles, they are not precision bolt guns for target shooting.

A good rifleman finding themselves with that fairly consistent 2-3 MOA rifle, may with carefully developed hand loads, keep that 2-3 MOA and perhaps do a little better from time to time.

:2c:

I dont know I have seen some fairly good results from guys that get real compulsive about hand loads, not boltie results but sub-2MOA. You know the types that keep detailed notes on every minor detail matched against results and vary the load at the range. In commercial ammo I was shocked how much improvement comes with 110g stuff but I cant afford to throw that kind of money down range so it remains more a curiosity than anything else.

M1As or Saigas after skill its ammo thats the main factor just that groups are gonna be a lot tighter on the M1A. Cheap steel cased ammo isnt gonna yield but a rough 4MOA it but its not supposed to. Same for some mil-surp unless you hit on some that your rifle really likes the way one of mine does the MEN variety but hates Pakistani.

MBRs are not made to be competition rifles they are made to take a lot of abuse and still produce a consistent hit. Something we tend to forget, I am as bad as anyone else.