barrel heat sinks/stiffeners?

Hi everyone,

I posed this question on an older thread, so I decided to start a fresh one. I have a 7.62x39 with the 20" barrel. I've clamped two of these on the barrel:

http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Universal-Single-Rail-Barrel-Picatinny/dp/B001WJ0CFQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1313695214&sr=1-1

one up against the gas block, and the other butted up to the first one.

I want to get some thoughts/constructive criticism on this. My theory is that they will A: stiffen the barrel, and B: act as heat sinks for the barrel. Is there any glaringly obvious problem with this I may have overlooked?

My main concern is that I may be putting some sort of unwanted stress on the barrel, but I'm thinking you'd strip the threads before you ever got it tight enough to harm the barrel or misshape the bore.

Hi everyone,

I posed this question on an older thread, so I decided to start a fresh one. I have a 7.62x39 with the 20" barrel. I've clamped two of these on the barrel:

http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Universal-Single-Rail-Barrel-Picatinny/dp/B001WJ0CFQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1313695214&sr=1-1

I want to get some thoughts/constructive criticism on this. My theory is that they will A: stiffen the barrel, and B: act as heat sinks for the barrel. Is there any glaringly obvious problem with this I may have overlooked?

My main concern is that I may be putting some sort of unwanted stress on the barrel, but I'm thinking you'd strip the threads before you ever got it tight enough to harm the barrel or misshape the bore.

Yes it will act as a heat sink.

I doubt that will have any real effect on stiffening the barrel.

It will introduce a pressure point which can become variable when the barrel heats up and expands. Variations of pressure on the barrel can change the point of impact.

I saw a shotgun at a turkey shoot throw a pattern 6 to 8 inches higher because it was rested directly on the lower barrel half. The box o truth also tested this out in one of their episodes. Unless you absolutely need a mounted light or lazer, this mount is more trouble than it helps.

I've got a tri-rail version on my RPK mounted between the gas block and the forend/handguard(an already constricted area), for a bipod and a light. I tried one of those on up towards the front sight post to mimic the front mounted bipod I took off(which was extremely heavy) but found it and my bipod almost as heavy as the original. But my RPK has a thicker, chrome lined barrel anyway. Designed for extended periods of fire.

Also, since those rails are aluminum, I would expect that if things get hot enough to have any major effect on the barrel, they'll start to soften themselves and have little effect on the actual barrel. Possibly even to the point of haveing to be retightened after such an incident.

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure I understand. What is the problem with your rifle that these modifications might correct? Is the barrel malfunctioning in some manner? Are the shot patterns out of specification? Just not sure why you'd undertake this project unless there was a problem. Is this theoretical or practical?

This was all theoretical on my part. I was under the impression that this barrel should be thicker for the extra length. It seems the Ruger mini rifles have a similar barrel dia to length ratio, and a lot of those owners have installed clamps and struts on the barrel to correct/avoid excessive "whip" and stringing. I made the assumption that I would be facing similar problems, but it sounds like I'm trying to fix a non existent problem.

Sometimes, it's best to wait till there IS a problem, before trying to fix it. Also, Saigas have chrome lined barrels, which, iirc, help reduce friction, stiffen the barrel and dissipate heat. Not all rifles(barrels) are made the same.

Shoot it as is till you notice somethings not right. Also, alot of people do things just because someone else is doing it, even if they can't tell you why.