For those of you with Draco's (or experience with them)...

I am going to get a Draco here soon but I am on the fence between the standard Draco and the Mini Draco. I understand that the Mini is about 5" or so shorter than the standard, other than that, why would I choose one over the other? Pro, cons, good, bad - give me your opinion. Thanks!

I have the 11.5" version and I really like it. It only loses a little velocity over the 16" but definitely gives a good fireball.

The other advantage is the handguard compatibility on the full sized Draco.

Obviously the smaller one is smaller and probably works double duty as a flame thrower! :lolol:

Joebanks, where'd you get that awesome signature logo??? :super:

• Like 1

I don't have any experience with the mini, but I have one Draco, and have shot a bunch of them, along with the Champion (.223 Draco). I also have an AK pistol I built from a Romy G kit. The Draco definitely cycles better than the one I built, but it was the first AK I ever pieced together, so I probably fucked something up. I won't say that the mini is purely a novelty, because that's what people used to say about the Draco, but I really can't see much use for it, other than the fact that its ridiculous and you can buy it. I like the fact that they Draco with the underfolder trunnion (or even without the underfolder trunnion, depending on what you're going for) is probably the cheapest SBR project you're going to find.

I have a standard draco with underfolder trunnion. I love mine although it seems to get pretty hot after a couple mags. I assume the mini would as well. It'll be a SBR at some point but I haven't decided on side or underfolding.

Iiuc, the mini is classed as a pistol, where the Draco is an SBR. If you actually want to carry it(ie Concealed?) the Mini is the way to go, at least here in Ohio as you can only carry a handgun concealed. I'm sure there are some mag restrictions depending on locality but hey, carry a couple 40s as backup, lol.

I'm wanting to get a mini and bullpup it. Then hang it off a shoulder strap with a couple mags on the off side. Maybe next year. :angel:

Iiuc, the mini is classed as a pistol, where the Draco is an SBR. If you actually want to carry it(ie Concealed?) the Mini is the way to go, at least here in Ohio as you can only carry a handgun concealed. I'm sure there are some mag restrictions depending on locality but hey, carry a couple 40s as backup, lol.

I'm wanting to get a mini and bullpup it. Then hang it off a shoulder strap with a couple mags on the off side. Maybe next year. :angel:

The Draco is considered a pistol in most parts of the country,

If it was a SBR, Draco's would not be sold over the counter.

• Like 1

I have the standard Draco. As mentioned above, it is nice that the handguards are compatible with other AK furniture. I hand picked mine and made sure it had the underfolder trunion as I already had the underfolder stock and plan to SBR it. Until my stamp comes in, I continue to run it in pistol configuration. It runs great as it should because it was made in the same factory as the Romanian AIMR so you have a mil-spec weapon that the Century monkeys haven't jacked up. I'm still playing around with various muzzle devices to see which one mitigates the fireball and recoil the best.

As far as the mini goes, they seem more of a novelty to me. At least the standard Draco is more on par with its Romanian military counterpart.

Thanks for all the comments and opinions. I am STILL on the fence since there are a lot of good arguments for both. One thing I did notice in my research was that it seems almost everyone is sold out of the standard Draco's right now, but I was able to find Mini's. What to do, what to do???

Iiuc, the mini is classed as a pistol, where the Draco is an SBR.

Many Dracos are sold w/o stocks so that they can be classified as pistols, even in Ohio. The standard pistol version is a 11.5-12.25" barrel I believe. The mini has around a 7.5" barrel, does not accept the fullsize AK handguards, and has a shorter sight radius.

If you actually want to carry it(ie Concealed?) the Mini is the way to go, at least here in Ohio as you can only carry a handgun concealed. I'm sure there are some mag restrictions depending on locality but hey, carry a couple 40s as backup, lol.

I think either one is way too bulky to use as an actual conceal carry weapon though I was considering getting the regular version to use as a truck gun. In Ohio pistols are the only type of firearm we're allowed to keep loaded in our vehicle, and even that requires a conceal carry permit.

The tapco birdcage flash hider does very well with the fireball. And underfolders suck. They look classic but to be useful drill and tap two holes and put a side folding ace stock on it. After either extending the barrel or getting a stamp ofcourse. I extend mine. A 2" extension and a "krink" cone made it 16 1/4 it was perfect. Then welded on. The cone does nothing for the fireball but the weight all the way put there makes it kick a little less.

Iiuc, the mini is classed as a pistol, where the Draco is an SBR.

Many Dracos are sold w/o stocks so that they can be classified as pistols, even in Ohio. The standard pistol version is a 11.5-12.25" barrel I believe. The mini has around a 7.5" barrel, does not accept the fullsize AK handguards, and has a shorter sight radius.

If you actually want to carry it(ie Concealed?) the Mini is the way to go, at least here in Ohio as you can only carry a handgun concealed. I'm sure there are some mag restrictions depending on locality but hey, carry a couple 40s as backup, lol.

I think either one is way too bulky to use as an actual conceal carry weapon though I was considering getting the regular version to use as a truck gun. In Ohio pistols are the only type of firearm we're allowed to keep loaded in our vehicle, and even that requires a conceal carry permit.

The Dracos all come into the country without stocks - they are unimportable with a stock attached unless brought in as dealer sample/LE/MIL only guns. Some enterprising manufacturers add buttstocks, the resulting weapons being classified as SBRs. Some individuals do the same. I have one on the way from Tom Cole with a vz. 58 folder, and am very much looking forward to it.

I have fired both the regular and mini. Both were amazingly accurate when fired with both hands as if it were a normal handgun. I know it sounds crazy, but it works amazingly well if you have at least average upper body strength. Holding them by the grip and the handguard is strange feeling and I couldn't hit shit with either of them that way.

I have a standard size draco, and honestly i had no understanding for just how large this firearm was until i had it in my hands. mini dracos are cool too, although ive never actually held one

all in all, i prefer the appearance of the standard size draco, although i think it would be pretty difficult to ccw either of them.