Need advice buying a gun online and shipping it

I try to contact my FFL first out of respect, even tho i built a relationship with him to where he said "just let me know you have one on the way".

Some FFL's wont accept firearms from a non FFL holder, so its wise to find out if the one you plan on using, does. That is if its shipping from a non FFL holder.

Some FFL's are also dealers and dont like to do, or wont do transfers on firearms that they themselves can sell.

IMO, its best to notify them first before it gets shipped. But at the same time, buying the firearm to secure it, doesnt hurt either. Finding an FFL to accept and transfer it can be dealt with after. I have done it both ways.

Edited by Mullet Man
  • Like 1

I would find the FFL that will do the transfer first. Like Mullet Man said, some don't like doing transfers because they can sell the same thing. I have a great one here that will transfer for $20. Other ones may transfer it after jacking up the fee to equal what they would have made selling the weapon.

Yep, find a willing FFL with decent prices first. They'll need to provide a copy of their license to the seller before the gun ships.

I just have an electronic copy of my guy's license and let him know whenever a new one is on the way--but we're got a pretty good relationship.

As mentioned, each FFL has their own idea of what level of service they want to provide and at what cost. Some don't want to be bothered with transfers at all.

Another vote for "Find an FFL first, then make the purchase". The only reason to do it the other way around, IMO, is if the place you're buying from has a limited quantity or it's a rare item.

Call multiple FFL's to get the best transfer fee price. Like MT said, the guy does transfers for me only charges $20, which from my experience, is on the cheap-side. Some charge $50 and up, and that's a ridiculous price that I'd refuse to pay.

My FFL charges $10.00

With no fuss, no muss.

I make a purchase, Call him with the address of the place to either FAX or send a copy to, and what I just bought, so he knows what to expect... and its handled... DONE. Then its just a waiting game to go pick up my goodies and fill out a NICS. Easy. simple. fast. cheap.

Sometimes the people on the other end ACTUALLY have a BRAIN in their heads and will LOOK UP on the BATFE website, my dealers FFL that they have on file, for verification, and just ship, knowing hes current, and valid within the BATFE system, which allows things to happen VERY quickly... :up:

Unfortunately, many people are too scared in this day and age of all the litigation, corruption, and governmental anti-gun agendas, and propaganda and media hype, that guns are scary, evil, horrific weapons of death sort of bullshit... and have their heads so far up their asses that they can look out their own eyeballs... that they wont use the website...

Maybe they fear that the BATFE website is lying to them or something... and need a real copy...

:smoke:

What do you consider a "kitchen table FFL"? I am an FFL and I run my business out of my home and I am listed on the ATF's web sight. Anyone who is a Federal Firearms Licensee is listed on the web site, and they are just as able to do a transfer as anyone else. I do them for $20 all day long.

its best like many have already said,to contact a dealer first and ok it with them first.its not a hard process to do.just follow their requests and after you have built a relationship with them you will find yourself ordering in more guns :killer: oh and by the way...my dealer prefers liquor over cash :lolol:

So I finally have enough for my first pistol and was wondering what I should do first before I purchase the handgun online and have it shipped here, do I contact an FFL first, then purchase it or do I purchase it then contact an FFL? In need of some detailed info lol, thanks.

The other advice is good, and I'd add that, unless you've bought from this vendor before, call them and confirm that the gun is in fact in-stock and ready to ship before you place the order. Some online dealers have really bad ordering policies, and they will cite ridiculous fine print in order to tie you up in a credit card hassel trying to get you to pay percentage-based cancellation fees for phantom items that were never actually in stock nor was there ever a realistic ETA for their arrival.

Edited by Koljec

What about the "kitchen table" FFLs? Those should be good to go too right? And I will have to fill out a NICS form too right?

They're good to go. Actually, they're usually easier to deal with than a shop, in my experience. My guy is a "kitchen table" FFL and runs it out his apartment. One plus is that they're usually not stocking dealers, so no worries on wanting to order a gun for cheaper than a shop keeps in stock.

Kitchen table ffl's are NOT listed on the ATF website under FFL's... sorry.

Are you saying there's an actual list of FFL's on the ATF's website, that doesn't include non-shop FFL's? Never seen the list. If you're talking about the FFL license verification on the ATF's website, anyone with a valid FFL should be able to be verified through it.

https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

What do you consider a "kitchen table FFL"? I am an FFL and I run my business out of my home and I am listed on the ATF's web sight. Anyone who is a Federal Firearms Licensee is listed on the web site, and they are just as able to do a transfer as anyone else. I do them for $20 all day long.

To me a "kitchen table FFL" is not a "REAL" FFL business... just a guy who does gun work out of his house... but not LEGALLY holding a license to deal in firearms.

If you are listed on the ATF website you have a REAL FFL. If you happen to do it out of your house, thats fine.. I would not call you a "kitchen table FFL" myself... but thats just *MY* way of looking at it... others may view things different... just a matter of SEMANTICS in this instance... Sorry for the confusion... You all are correct... I just never use that terminology myself...

All I am saying is that if an FFL is listed on the ATF website, they are on the up and up and legal to have firearms shipped to their business. EVEN if they do it on their kitchen table!!! :lol:

To me a "kitchen table FFL" is not a "REAL" FFL business... just a guy who does gun work out of his house... but not LEGALLY holding a license to deal in firearms.

If you are listed on the ATF website you have a REAL FFL. If you happen to do it out of your house, thats fine.. I would not call you a "kitchen table FFL" myself... but thats just *MY* way of looking at it... others may view things different... just a matter of SEMANTICS in this instance... Sorry for the confusion... You all are correct... I just never use that terminology myself...

All I am saying is that if an FFL is listed on the ATF website, they are on the up and up and legal to have firearms shipped to their business. EVEN if they do it on their kitchen table!!! :lol:

Gotcha. Had me confused for a minute.

I guess, technically, my guy's not a "kitchen table FFL"............because he does everything on his dining room table, lol.