What did I do wrong...

Well I put the first rounds thru her last night and I got a problem. I pull the bolt back, let it go, round chambers and fires. Spent shell ejects, new round chamber and nothing. I was stupid and didn't pull the cover off to see if the hammer was locked back but I'm pretty sure it's not. Then I manually cycle the bolt, live round ejects, let the bolt go and the same thing repeats. It's like something is stopping the bolt from going all the way back when fired. Any ideas? Should I hand cycle the bolt a thousand times to see if it loosens up? :cryss:

I had the same problem when used my Saiga first time. In my case everything cocked correctly, except the trigger was not reset correctly and felt loose. As a result it was doing what you described. I cleaned it very thouroughly, especially gas ports. It worked correctly afterwords.

Here's what I got goin inside...

did you re-use the factory Saiga spring? if so, it may be wrong...

now understand that i havent converted my saiga, and dont really know how long the spring is supposed to be, but if you look in the attatched picture, you will see the spring going underneath a component that i will assume is the hammer...

thats pretty much the only difference between the two that i could spot.

Here's what I got goin inside...

did you re-use the factory Saiga spring? if so, it may be wrong...

now understand that i havent converted my saiga, and dont really know how long the spring is supposed to be, but if you look in the attatched picture, you will see the spring going underneath a component that i will assume is the hammer...

thats pretty much the only difference between the two that i could spot.

on second thought, thats not the hammer. it may be some tension rod or something though...

post-32465-0-35975300-1313763844_thumb.jpg

Your trigger may be assembled incorrectly. Whats happening is the hammer is pulled back by the bolt/bolt carrier, but does not lock into place in the trigger group. I would check that first to make sure.

Yep, installed the spring. It's a CSS G2 kit. Rifle was never fired before the conversion and the hammer sets every time when cycled by hand. How would I clean the gas ports? I know, dumb question but I didn't look when I had the tube off. Got some gun scrubber and Rem Oil. At the office now so I can't look. Thanks everyone

Check the disconnect spring.. and also WHAT is the thing near the TOP of the picture (near bolt-handle side) near the hammer spring LEG?? looks like a THICK piece of STEEL??

Is your rifle converted to an AK grip?? can't tell from the pic??

You mean the BHO lever? Yes it's pistol grip

You guys are killin me! :lolol: I pushed myself to the point of rage to get that in! But the only reason I wanted to keep it is cause the range I go to is run by democrats that are deathly afraid of closed chambers. Besides the fact that we have to stand behind the line when the range is cold, if I wanted to shoot people I wouldn't do it where EVERYONE else has a gun...but it's their rules and I respect that

and note that the photo in Red Star's post is not my gun, but in the photo I posted does my hammer spring look correct?

Edited by JB!

By chance did you get the modified G2? the modified one has some material removed from the hammer so that the OEM BHO lever works, if you got the regular one it could just be a little too much friction for the gas system to overcome. There are pictures that show the difference between the modified and standard ones so you maybe able to fix your problem that way.

By chance did you get the modified G2? the modified one has some material removed from the hammer so that the OEM BHO lever works, if you got the regular one it could just be a little too much friction for the gas system to overcome. There are pictures that show the difference between the modified and standard ones so you maybe able to fix your problem that way.

Yup, modified G2 from CSS

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-714/Saiga-Rifle-Conversion-Kit/Detail

He shouldnt (i say shouldnt because there is variation) be able to fit the BHO lever between the hammer and receiver, if the hammers not modded.

Take the dust cover off, charge it and fire it (without a round chambered of course) and look for anything out of the ordinary.

It has to be something simple, there isnt anything complicated in the way an AK works internally.

If you end up removing the BHO, and need to have the bolt open, stick a casing in the opening to hold the bolt slightly back. Thats how all of my nazi ranges do it.

My range requires either open bolt or a chamber flag. I made one from a .38 Special shell, and aluminum pop rivet, and a piece of neon orange plastic from my kid's Nerf gun.

My buddy says if I go with him when it's not open to the public it's different. But back on track, the hammer has been modified for the BHO. If I do pull it off (giggity) will there be too much side to side play on the hammer? Or is a little side to side just another "AK shoots every time" thing?

if you remove the bho with that hammer it could shimmy from side to side and not hit the firing pin properly, that being said check to make sure your bolt is in correct, pull it apart from the carrier lube the guide and make sure the bolt is in good shape and re-install it, your problem has to be in the bolt or in the trigger. by the way trick to putting bho in is bending the retaining pin for it on the end closest to the trigger and a pair of needle nose pliers. go to css web site and check out the videos that may help you deduce your problem.

suggesting that he remove the BHO is akin to telling someone to ditch their rear brake drums because they squeak.. sure it will solve the problem.. but there is NO reason he can not run gun with the BHO..

after the gun cycles.. and you go to shoot and "nothing" happens.. what DOES happen?

does the trigger pull?

is it binding?

is there any noise?

what do you have to do again to make it work..

I am sure there is a logical explanation..

• Like 2

Iremoved the dust cover and fired it. The BHO was putting a bit of pressure on the hammer spring so that when it fired the hammer spring moved in from the right side and either bound the trigger or wasn't putting enough back pressure on it because the rear hook on the disconnect wasn't backing off the hammer when I let off the trigger. Took the BHO out and she ran like a top. Now I have to decide if I want to mod the BHO or leave it out. If I left it out should I figure a way to plug that slot by the trigger? Thanks everyone for the help!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

You should be able to put a slight bend in the hammer spring to relieve the contact on the BHO.

I'm having the same problem as OP. Can someone show me where to bend the spring and which direction?

go here, Video #4 about mid way thru he explains it.... http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-template/Videos-and-Links/Page

Iremoved the dust cover and fired it. The BHO was putting a bit of pressure on the hammer spring so that when it fired the hammer spring moved in from the right side and either bound the trigger or wasn't putting enough back pressure on it because the rear hook on the disconnect wasn't backing off the hammer when I let off the trigger. Took the BHO out and she ran like a top. Now I have to decide if I want to mod the BHO or leave it out. If I left it out should I figure a way to plug that slot by the trigger? Thanks everyone for the help!

If you decide to leave it out you could make the end of the BHO in to a washer. That's what I was considering.

As for a BHO you could try this, I didn't even remove it from the rifle to dremel it.

post-36219-0-81526200-1318463799_thumb.jpg

post-36219-0-97553100-1318463820_thumb.jpg