just ported my gas tube...

i had read in an earlier post that hi temp BBQ paint is a pretty good match for the original finish for my gas tube. I have no complaints about the color/texture but the first time i cleaned it, the solvents i used just seemed to melt the paint away.

Is it necessary to use a hi temp paint on the gas tube?? what is a good one to use that i can bake on??

thanks much

HOOP

That Brownells sounds like the way to go. What's the temp range of the BBQ paint? I have been using the engine enamel from any autoparts store for all types automotive products and the receiver of my .308 conversion. These are cheap spray cans but the paint is fuel/ oil resistant, looks good and rated for up to 500 degrees. The max temp may be too low for for a gas tube application. Just a thought.

RSH

Edited by rscotth
  • 2 weeks later...

Errr...

Unless the drill walked badly during punching the holes in the tube, the only thing "silvered" should be the I.D of the hole and what shows from removal of "flash".

I just retouch mine when finished with some cold blue via a Q-tip.

Lollygagger :unsure:

Saiga308vents-4.jpg

...On my.308 (there's 4 holes under there).

Another shot...

Siaiga308vents-3.jpg

Edited by lollygagger

the drilling into the tube was not the problem. There were some very small scratches in the finish but nothing major. There were just some fairly large scratches from everyday use. i picked up some engine enamel, baked it on, and so far its held up pretty good. thanks much for the info though. Im sure that will come in handy in the future.

HOOP

Birchwood Casey makes a dandy touch-up pen . Workes wonders to hide scratches and for --well---touch-up!

Indeed they do... I bought one at Bass Pro for my Saigas... got a satin or flat black, I forget now which one it was... Satin I THINK.... to better match the Saiga finish...

Anyways... I used it to cover the bottom of the receiver where the plate was removed... it worked GREAT although... be careful... it will leave a "brush stroke" appearance if you dont take extra time to REALLY make it nice...

I just said SCREW IT... its black... hell, no one even saw it before when it was that odd color metal... now its even better... and since I dont care... it was GOOD ENOUGH for me...

If you want "spot on perfection"... you need a spray on type... if you are like me.. and want it DONE now.. the Birchwood Casey pen is the shiznitz!

:smoke: