Saiga-12 as a slug gun

Hey guys im looking to pick up deer hunting this year but i dont have a rifle with a proper caliber for deer hunting cept my benelli nova pump and my saiga-12. the benelli is nice cuz i can get a slug barrel for it but idk any of you guys have seen the price of these OMG! expensive...more than i payed for the whole shotgun besides its a little long for carrying through the woods and trying to bring up for a deer in a stand. so what i was thinking is using my saiga with some slugs, only problem is idk which ones to choose. since it is a smooth bore ill have to use rifled slugs. which ones do you guys recommend for accuracy and most stopping power at a distance?

Oleg also sells paradox chokes. I have one but haven't been able to try it being my S12 is gettn sexied up at rifle dynamics for about three more months. Beats payn $$$$'s for a new barrel but then again u get what you pay for so?.?.?

Like the guys above, i'm a fan of the 1560fps 2-3/4" Sluggers and 2-3/4" Winchester Super X 15 packs. I've consistently hit bowling pins at ~90yds, which is the farthest i've been able to test it out so far.

Nice shooting Beef.

Edited by Mullet Man

Remingtons sluggers work great at 100 out past that they seem to drop pretty fast. winchester super x is also good. After 1000 rounds of centurion slugs I'm actually doing really good with them kinda figured out their quirks so I'm gonna try them this year they make a mess out of ground hogs

Nice shootin BC. I'm also a huge fan of Remy Sluggers but another thing to think about is sabots through a rifled choke or extension. I have a Paradox rifled choke, and also the choke adapters that take winchoke rifled tubes. They will give you even better range and accuracy. Higher pressure and the round is spinning like a bullet to keep it more stable. Those raised spirals on so called "rifled slugs" are doing nothing but swaging the slug down the barrel to keep a good deal.

What optic are you using? I would certainly be proud of that target, were it mine. Great job.

Optic? Optic?!

I don't need no stinking optic... :ph34r:

:lolol:

Honestly though. No optics have been used on my Saiga 12. Just the factory sights.

Edited by beefcakeb0
  • Like 1

Optic? Optic?!

I don't need no stinking optic... :ph34r:

:lolol:

Honestly though. No optics have been used on my Saiga 12. Just the factory sights.

Same here, only thing i have done is added a Dinzag "AK" FSB, for the increased sight radius and adjustability.

EDIT; Thats impressive for the short radius bead sight!

Edited by Mullet Man

KgitG.jpg

How is that for 100 yards?

NICE SHOT! I have been experimenting with slugs trying to see what my beasty likes. I was hitting "Minute of Man" at 50yds with low recoil law enforcement rounds Federal and Remington, the other day, putting them a little right though but still at center of mass. I will have to pick up some sluggers and try'em out! 100yrds is ideal for a slug out of a shotgun, IMHO. :super:

1) Rifled slugs is just a marketing gimmick. There is no way for grooves on a soft lead projectile to get any sort of grip on a smooth, steel bore (especially a chromed one). Putting rifling grooves on slugs thinking it will increase accuracy is a dumb idea that's been around long enough that most people accept it as something that works. At least it doesn't really hurt anything.

2) +1 on the Remington sluggers; they are what I keep in my S-12 when I carry it in the woods up here. I chronoed a box of 3" sluggers a couple months back and they averaged 1588fps out of a 19" S-12.

Just yesterday I shot a bunch of slugs outta my S12. My S12's reddot is sighted at 50yrds.

I can hit a 1ft round target at 100yrd fairly easy, and yesterday I was shooting over 150yrds hitting a target that was under 2ft round (not that fun with a shotgun!)

The look on peoples faces when they see me regularly hit @ 150+yrds with a shotgun (its kinda funny). People are dumbfounded that a shotgun can be that accurate.

And thats not bench rest shooting either.

EDIT: Oh and thats with no choke on my 19" barrel using Remington 1oz slugs

Edited by ItsAllCreated

I've engaged IPSC silhoutte targets at the Pan Am last year at 95 yards standing and had all hits in the "B" zone. I was using Remington 1 ounce Sluggers out of a full-choke, 19 inch barrel with AK-type front sight and fully adjustable rear sight similar to that on a Ruger 10/22.

Wish I could find someone to make a slug barrel!!!

Why? Nobody seems to be able to get the stock barrels out anyway! lol

Shouldn't be that hard. I could make and impression of the barrel face and chamber and have my machinest make me a brass pusher block to those dimensions. He also makes barrels.and already told me he would make S12 slug barrels if he could get the rifled blanks. (I may have found a source?) I don't want to pull the barrel on my N.I.B. S12 IZ-109 BHO moldel, I only bought it in case my VER 30 doen't make it.

If I had a pulled S12, I'd already have had it sent off to have a rifled copy made.