What's the best shot shell for home defense

Went out shooting & tried Remington 7 1/2, 1 1/8 oz shells. Shot mainly Winchester HP rifled slugs & 00 buck shot(about 800 rds) liked the feel of shells but might be a little overkill for the house so wanted to try a lighter shell. Went to Walmart & picked up 100 rd box of 7 1/2 shotshell I shot in setting #2 with no problems then tried in setting #1 also with no problems(I lucked out it fired in #1) but it felt too light after 800 rds of the slugs & 00 buck. I was satisfied with the grouping at 25 yrds at a 5 gal. propane tank but compared to the damaged the slugs made only chipped paint off. I read on other posts of guys shooting with #4 shot shells, so my question is what do you guys recommend. Will see if I can post of video of 7 1/2 shot shells & pics of damage to propane tank on this thread http://youtu.be/9ZUE4ocjOZY

Edited by Big June
  • Like 1
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Remington 3" magnum 15 pellet .00 buckshot out of a Russian mag.   It's nearly 2 ounces of lead coming at the intruder real quickly & it's so common, that an overzelous DA can't call it "an exot

I use my reloads of bird shot #8 1 1/8 ounce load thats like 400+ pellets coming at you at a speed of 1479 FPS. And at 10-20 feet your dead because the average hight of a person is 5-6 feet so your go

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=109958

Posted Images

Home defense is 10' or less. Leave the bird shot for birds and snakes. The best choice is reduced recoil 00 buck shot. Sadly, you will have to leave the realms of China-Mart to get it. Ammotogo.com, abbleammo.com, cheaperthandirt.com, sportsmansguide.com are all good places.

Remington 3" magnum 15 pellet .00 buckshot out of a Russian mag.

It's nearly 2 ounces of lead coming at the intruder real quickly & it's so common, that an overzelous DA can't call it "an exotic ammo that's designed to kill people better"

• Like 3

I use my reloads of bird shot #8 1 1/8 ounce load thats like 400+ pellets coming at you at a speed of 1479 FPS. And at 10-20 feet your dead because the average hight of a person is 5-6 feet so your going to either get it in the head or the neck or both.

Any buckshot. As for 3' magnums, does anyone really thing they are going to make a significant difference at home defense ranges, especially for the tradeoff in flash, recoil, and ability to get on target for a follow-up? 2-3/4 or even reduced recoil are fine if it makes you more confident shooting the gun. If they're wearing body armor a magnum isn't going to help, either. If they aren't a 2-3/4 in buckshot shell of any variety is going to ruin their day from 10-20'.

Went out shooting & tried Remington 7 1/2, 1 1/8 oz shells. Shot mainly Winchester HP rifled slugs & 00 buck shot(about 800 rds) liked the feel of shells but might be a little overkill for the house so wanted to try a lighter shell. Went to Walmart & picked up 100 rd box of 7 1/2 shotshell I shot in setting #2 with no problems then tried in setting #1 also with no problems(I lucked out it fired in #1) but it felt too light after 800 rds of the slugs & 00 buck. I was satisfied with the grouping at 25 yrds at a 5 gal. propane tank but compared to the damaged the slugs made only chipped paint off. I read on other posts of guys shooting with #4 shot shells, so my question is what do you guys recommend. Will see if I can post of video of 7 1/2 shot shells & pics of damage to propane tank on this thread http://youtu.be/9ZUE4ocjOZY

I would recommend reading the StressFire books written by Massad Ayoob

Yakdung

Remington 3" magnum 15 pellet .00 buckshot out of a Russian mag.

It's nearly 2 ounces of lead coming at the intruder real quickly & it's so common, that an overzelous DA can't call it "an exotic ammo that's designed to kill people better"

+1 and another vote for 15 pellet 00 buck.

15 9mm sized projectiles will get your point made. other people that need convincing? no need to worry about that vodka special with loads of gas from a 3" load, and the extra length makes sure the barrel hood funtions as designed. that all adds up to reliability to me.

Any buckshot. As for 3' magnums, does anyone really thing they are going to make a significant difference at home defense ranges, especially for the tradeoff in flash, recoil, and ability to get on target for a follow-up?

The idea is not to need a follow up shot. :D

However, unless you do a barrel hood extension tothe S-12 there's always that 1% possibility that a mag hiccup or weak load could cause that stovepipe FTF that simply cannot happen with a 3" shell.

Also, being as I personally live in a city that makes San Francisco look conservative, I decided it would be a bad idea for me personally to use my S-12 for home defense lest it be portrayed as a "deadlier" weapon. Also, the weapon used to "stop"an intruder will be held for Lord knows how long until the case is closed.

I wear a Sig P239 in 357 Sig, even at home, I have a G-17 in reach & my go-to HD Long gun is a polished nickel SXS dual trigger Stoeger Coachgun Supreme.

It looks like Jed Clampet's gun, but it can send 1/4 lb of lead at an intruder's ass at once if need be.

But being as it's 2 shots until I go to the pistol, I'd like those shots to count.

If a picture of the Stoeger ever made the news, people would think of Elmer Fudd as opposed to an "Evil AK-47 chambered in 12 gauge".

• Like 1

Make sure you don't confuse #4 buck with #4 shot. The #4 buckshot is 6mm in diameter while #4 shot (great for squirrels) is 3.3 mm in diameter. The #4 buckshot is generally considered the minimum shot size to be viable for self defense.

Yes, and the 3" mag has 41, 6mm copper plated pellets. 000.gif

Birdshot at 15 feet or so is damn near like a slug since it doesn't have much time to leave the wad if it does at all. I've seen plenty of "customers" from close distance bird shot. If you're talking any distance, then buck shot all the way.

caspian

Any buckshot. As for 3' magnums, does anyone really thing they are going to make a significant difference at home defense ranges, especially for the tradeoff in flash, recoil, and ability to get on target for a follow-up?

The idea is not to need a follow up shot. :D

However, unless you do a barrel hood extension tothe S-12 there's always that 1% possibility that a mag hiccup or weak load could cause that stovepipe FTF that simply cannot happen with a 3" shell.

Also, being as I personally live in a city that makes San Francisco look conservative, I decided it would be a bad idea for me personally to use my S-12 for home defense lest it be portrayed as a "deadlier" weapon. Also, the weapon used to "stop"an intruder will be held for Lord knows how long until the case is closed.

I wear a Sig P239 in 357 Sig, even at home, I have a G-17 in reach & my go-to HD Long gun is a polished nickel SXS dual trigger Stoeger Coachgun Supreme.

It looks like Jed Clampet's gun, but it can send 1/4 lb of lead at an intruder's ass at once if need be.

But being as it's 2 shots until I go to the pistol, I'd like those shots to count.

If a picture of the Stoeger ever made the news, people would think of Elmer Fudd as opposed to an "Evil AK-47 chambered in 12 gauge".

You can never know that your first shot will do the job...I have enough experience with 3" shells to know I would never want to need to be firing one from an awkward position and expect to be able to control the gun for the next shot. YMMV. IMHO the odds of being screwed by excessive recoil on followups is nearly 100%, vs 1% chance of jamming a 2-3/4" shell.

Like you, however, my S12 is not a HD weapon. I have a G23 and a G26 in the fingerprint safe, often a Taurus 38 revolver stuffed in back too. Can get to all of them much quicker than loading an S12 -- with kids in the house, no way I would keep anything loaded or "nearly loaded" if not locked in a safe. Much easier to manuever a pistol in the house. Before I had kids, when I did keep a shotgun ready to go, it was a 20ga double barrel coach-type gun. Not much chance that will fail to cycle ;D

Bottom line, if STHF, you need to be confident and comfortable with whatever you are using. That may be different for different people. I bought the G26 for my wife so if I ever needed to leave the bedroom she would be armed too. Turns out she likes the G23 better....so she gets the G23.

• Like 1

It makes me cringe when someone recommends bird shot. Please do some research and read an article,"Best Choices

for self defense ammo". Bird shot does not act as a slug and it will not reliably kill someone and you could

die because you made a bad choice of defensive ammo. Stick to the buck shot it will penetrate at least 12" and

get the job done. Like many others have said use bird shot on birds!

Buckshot is preferred for anti-personnel use. Birdshot is for birds. If it won't go through sheetrock it won't go through a bad guy.

But I don't want the shot to go THRU the bad guy, I want it to leave all the energy in him. My neighbors will also appreciate that.

I live in an apartment, so 1 1/8oz of #6 for me. (also happens to be a good competition load)

If I lived in a house, then I might go for something heavier.

Buckshot is preferred for anti-personnel use. Birdshot is for birds. If it won't go through sheetrock it won't go through a bad guy.

But I don't want the shot to go THRU the bad guy, I want it to leave all the energy in him. My neighbors will also appreciate that.

I live in an apartment, so 1 1/8oz of #6 for me. (also happens to be a good competition load)

If I lived in a house, then I might go for something heavier.

OK, but before you go thinking it's going to act like a slug, consider this. My wife was an ER nurse and over the course of her time there she had 3 -- not just 1 -- guys come in who had put shotguns under their chins and pulled the trigger in unsuccessful suicide attempts. You can't get any more point blank than that. The reason it was not successful is because as soon as the shot hit the hard palate at the back of the mouth, it deflected forward and simply ripped off their jaw and face from the eyes down.

The reason it was not successful is because as soon as the shot hit the hard palate at the back of the mouth, it deflected forward and simply ripped off their jaw and face from the eyes down.

A large factor to that may have been the angle. A shot angled back toward the medulla would have done them in just from the release of pressure from the shot blast regardless of load. Just because the guys were underachievers, does not make birdshot ineffective at point blank.

The reason it was not successful is because as soon as the shot hit the hard palate at the back of the mouth, it deflected forward and simply ripped off their jaw and face from the eyes down.

A large factor to that may have been the angle. A shot angled back toward the medulla would have done them in just from the release of pressure from the shot blast regardless of load. Just because the guys were underachievers, does not make birdshot ineffective at point blank.

Good to know you will always have precise control of the angle in a HD situation. rolleyes.gif Why not just use a pellet gun, if you pick a straight line through the eye and up the optic nerve into the brain you'll drop them every time...

• Like 2

Good to know you will always have precise control of the angle in a HD situation. rolleyes.gif Why not just use a pellet gun, if you pick a straight line through the eye and up the optic nerve into the brain you'll drop them every time...

good to know you missed the point. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Oh, I know #6 shot won't act like a slug at all, other than the 'rat-hole wound' at very short ranges (less than 10 FEET). I *really* don't want to have any unintentional shootings on my hands (like where a slug or buckshot goes thru my wall and hits my neighbor!), so I am willing to doubletap with the shotgun in order to deal with the bad guys. Same reason I bought Extreme Shock Air Freedom rounds for the pistol.

All home defense loads are a compromise, I am choosing to compromise a bit of terminal effect for reduced overpenetration. If you choose high penetration, you have to deal with the fact that you are increasing the chance of a shot going through the walls. I accept that this increases my personal risk of injury somewhat.

• Like 1