saiga 410 for home defense

The .410 is a caliber measurement of a shotgun shell. (very small, slim rounds) Never shot one but I would reserve it mainly for hunting small game, etc.

I don't have a .410, but I know that "home defense" doesn't come to mind when I hear it. If you want a Saiga, get the 12 gauge model...or at least the 20 (if you want to save money).

Personally I like a 12 gauge pump (semi-auto shotguns generally aren't as reliable), but I hear the Saiga-12 is very reliable when the gas setting is set correctly.

A true AK is the most reliable gun I've ever heard of. Most people on here would agree with me on that...but shotguns are good for quick, point and shoot shots, that will take down a person in one hit. (but not the .410)

Whether you get a Saiga-12 or a 12 gauge pump (I recommend a Remington or Mossberg), look to spend about $300.

you wayyyy under estimate the .410, i killed 2 deer this year with mine one at 30yards and the other at 50. the 50 yard shot ran bout 20 yards and fell the 30 yard doe fell right where i shot her. the .410 is as close as you can get to a rifle in shotgun only hunting areas, mid-michigan.

my brother in law hit 4 deer this year with is 12 and only found 2, the 12 blows right thru the critter and doesnt trasfer as much punch. in my opinion the .410 transfers more "shock" because the slugs actually stops inside its intended target

Hi

I cant advise on the saiga .410 as ive never used one but i bet its every bit as reliable as the others in the saiga range , as for the .410 callibre i would stick to the 3" magnum shells for home defence , i have fired both 23/4 and 3" shells in a .410 and the 23/4 shells feel a bit weak (although i would not like to be on the recieving end of them) but the 3" shells are nice and seem to pack a decent punch for their size.

all the best

assassin

arbud --

At close range (as in home defense) the .410 is superior in stopping power when compared to the 7.62 x 39 bullet when used with a slug load. I primarily use the Barnaul steel-cased slug loads -- flawlessly reliable and very accurate at 25 meters which is, of course, far greater than needed for home defense where, at least in my house, would be limited to 10'-15'.

The slug load that would be noticeably superior to the Barnaul load would be the Brenneke slug in the 3" length. Measurably more accurate at 25 meters but at 10'-15' I wouldn't be able to see any practical difference. The difference in effectiveness is the result of the shape of the slug. Insted of the usual bluntly rounded projectile with the hint of rifling/grooves molded into the sides of the slug, it is essentially a cylinder, sort of tin-can-shaped but with a somewhat pointed cone on the front to assist initial penetration. Greater stablization and accuracy is achieved by molding the slug with massive spiral ridges on the sides, giving it the appearance of a thick gear. The attached photo shows how the stabilizing ridges and can-shaped projectile make for almost a cookie cutter precise hole in the target instead of the typical imprecise hole (meaning the way most bullets and slugs leave a hole with imprecise or sort of ragged borders or edges) usually found on a target.

This would mean that, instead of penetrating a large muscle or making an abdominal wound and pushing blood vessels aside (FMJ pistol bullets are noted for this) and thus making a nice, neat but less effective wound, it increases the likelihood of severing any blood vessels encountered.

Even using the Barnaul .410 slug -- which isn't really .410" in diameter at all as it is a sub-caliber sabot projectile -- remember that it is still larger in diameter than a .357 Magnum and has a much higher muzzle velocity, both of which would make it more effective for home defense than the .357 -- and many people use that with no feeling of being inadequately armed.

Certainly, the 12 gauge (especially used with shot) is more effective. While the .410 is certainly a deadly, dangerous round, in the tragic event of a accidental shooting of a family member in the dark of night, at least there is the chance of that person surving whereas the 12 gauge has something like a 90+ % chance of being totally, irrevocably and without recourse fatal.

As some have said, "just my 2 cents worth'...

post-4-1078181930.jpg

Edited by Aethelbert

I have fired 8 boxes of 3" Remington and Winchester shotshells,150 Barnaul slugs,15 rounds of S&B Spherical Bullet 3" shells,and 50 Barnaul shotshells in my Saiga 410. It has been 100% reliable with all. I bought a 2-1/2" Saiga magazine and have not been able to get 2-1/2" shells to feed reliably. I tried the older Rottweil Brenneke 2-3/4" slugs but they won't eject reliably.

Sellior & Bellot makes the perfect home defense round for the 410. It is the Spherical Bullet load which is a 3" shell loaded with five 00 Buck lead pellets.

S&B also makes the Spherical Bullet load in a 2-1/2" shell but I have not tried them yet.

Edited by J A
I tried the older Rottweil Brenneke 2-3/4" slugs but they won't eject reliably.

Haven't tried any 2 3/4" .410 shells of any brand because, while Saiga apparently supplies 2 mags (1 for both lengths of .410 shells) with each .410 sold _in Russia_, mine came only with a mag for 3" shells.

Have had no problems of any kind with the 3"/76mm long Brenneke slug loads. The ones I've used are made in Britain using German components. Cost? $4.95/box of 5.

• 1 month later...

In a home defense situation, .410 slugs like barnaul and brenneke will severely overpenetrate, IMO. I like the Saiga 410 but can't decide between it and a pump gun in 12 or 2o. Birdshot can be nasty at close range and wont penetrate much past that. But does the .410 shotshell pack enough birdshot to be effective? IE will it leave the "bloody rat hole" that a 20 or 12ga birdshot load would leave?

Edited by Looter

I like 12ga. but .410 WILL do the job. But I would NEVER use slugs or 00 for home defense-too likely to penetrate interior walls and cause injury to family---use #1 buck deadly at close range maybe 25 yards and less likely to cause collateral damage,but leathal to watever you shoot. I would not recommend bird shot as this may not penetrate winter clothing if bad guy is stupid enough to try home invasion they may be drugged enough not to feel pain or even to run from a shotgun. Just an old mans 2Ct.

G O B