Midwest Industires AK minidot mount Review

This is a review of the Midwest Industires AK minidot mount(Aimpoint micro/clones)MSRP $79.95. I recently acquired this mount last week and will do a complete review with range report once I receive my .308 bolt carrier. First pic is of the packaging and the hardware included which comes in a blister pack. Mounting instructions are written on the back of the package.

Included Hardware:

- Mount that replaces factory rear sight

- Various allen Keys and screws for mounting optic

- Vibratie Threadmate

The finish on the mount itself is excellent and lacks any tooling marks. All mounting hardware is also backed by a lifetime warranty.

post-16002-0-23606600-1314041407_thumb.jpg

Edited by XXasdf
  • Like 1

The Mount itself is a two piece design attached by a set screw. I have circled the midsection where the two pieces attach. The front piece attaches to where the AK rear sight would sit and is held on by the AK rear sight spring pressure. The second piece attaches to the front via a set screw, it is also where the optic mounts and has the rear iron sights. The set screw can be backed out of the 2nd portion of the mount and can be adjusted for lateral movement/windage. I added a very generous amount of loctite blue to the screw once I centered the rear mount/ironsight.

post-16002-0-12153800-1314041643_thumb.jpg

Edited by XXasdf
  • Like 2

For this review I am mounting a Primary Arms Micro dot clone with a removable base. Mounting hardware for the optic was included by Midwest Industries but I ended up using the ones provided by Primary arms instead. The mounting screw provided by MI would not sit flush(red circle) but the one provided by PA would(green circle). Blue loctite was used to secure the screws.

post-16002-0-16143800-1314042275_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

When mounting the sight the factory rear sight needs to be removed while the spring is reused. I would suggest that the optic be mounted after the mount is on the rifle. After the mount is secured on the rear sight base there is an elevation adjustment screw(circled in red) that can be adjusted to level the mount with the AK dust cover. Then there are the infamous button head screws(circled in blue)that people have found to be a pain. They are meant to tighten around the rear sight base but due to many variances of the AK, on some it will only sit at the edge as shown on the second pic.

post-16002-0-99358000-1314043137_thumb.jpg

post-16002-0-21434300-1314043224_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Final pics are of the optic mounted and shows the co witness capabilities of the mount. The only problems I have with the product are the lack of detailed instructions and the vibratite thread mate that was included. All in all I'm pretty happy with it but we'll see how it holds up to .308 recoil. Hope to do a range report with it soon.

post-16002-0-67866700-1314043766_thumb.jpg

post-16002-0-98691200-1314043776_thumb.jpg

Edited by XXasdf
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I just received mine 2 days ago... I won't be able to take it to the range til next week.

The assembly/ installation for this mount is so "complicated" for its size. (not that simple)

It has so many parts for something that replaces a two piece part of the gun. Then theres

the adjustments... I haven't used the locktite/vibratite yet since I have yet to sight it in.

When I get this zeroed, what then remove apply the locktite?:rolleyes:

What about cleaning the gun after using corrosive ammo? I'm not saying its not possible but

I was hoping for it to be as simple hosing the gun down and rinsing with hot water.

XXasdf, Where is the range report?

Bump for OP's Range report. :D

I just received mine 2 days ago... I won't be able to take it to the range til next week.

The assembly/ installation for this mount is so "complicated" for its size. (not that simple)

It has so many parts for something that replaces a two piece part of the gun. Then theres

the adjustments... I haven't used the locktite/vibratite yet since I have yet to sight it in.

When I get this zeroed, what then remove apply the locktite?:rolleyes:

What about cleaning the gun after using corrosive ammo? I'm not saying its not possible but

I was hoping for it to be as simple hosing the gun down and rinsing with hot water.

XXasdf, Where is the range report?

Bump for OP's Range report. :D

I recommend doing the windage adjustments before mounting the RDS then back out the screw and loctite (vibratite kinda sux) it in the position you want it in. Unfortunately I am unable to do a range report with it yet since my .308 bolt carrier is at pauly's (polish and new CH which pauly has generously added). I promise to do one ASAP when it returns. Also I emailed Midwest Industries about the mount popping up due to the sight retention spring. They have replaced my previous sight at no additional cost, which is a +1 to MWI customer service. They have redesigned the mount and it is now held via a dowel pin and has a elevation adjustment at the front of the mount as well as the rear. I'll post some comparison pics between the two when I install the new mount.

I recommend doing the windage adjustments before mounting the RDS then back out the screw and loctite (vibratite kinda sux) it in the position you want it in. Unfortunately I am unable to do a range report with it yet since my .308 bolt carrier is at pauly's (polish and new CH which pauly has generously added). I promise to do one ASAP when it returns. Also I emailed Midwest Industries about the mount popping up due to the sight retention spring. They have replaced my previous sight at no additional cost, which is a +1 to MWI customer service. They have redesigned the mount and it is now held via a dowel pin and has a elevation adjustment at the front of the mount as well as the rear. I'll post some comparison pics between the two when I install the new mount.

I guess I got the new and improved version since mine came with the dowel to hold it in place.

When I first installed it I didn't read the instructions and assumed it mounted like the old LaRue Iron Dot.

I didn't install the dowel pin and thought, this isn't going to hold zero. I also realized that the windage had to

be centered, and then tightened with the RDS off... (don't ask how I found this out.)

So I decided to undo everything from step one with the help of the instructions. Since mine had a lot of extra

parts (dowel, and set screws) I thought it would be safer to just follow the instructions than wonder where all

the extra parts go afterwards.

I really hope this set up will hold up to recoil, and long term storage without re-adjusting everything after

every range trip or clean-up. Range trip will probably this weekend.

Good luck with yours

Well, I took mine out today:

Not too impressed.

It does hold zero and it is compact, but I'm not too fond of the semi-permanent /

loctite everything design. Once everything is adjusted there is no turning back

@ the range at least.

Once things start to shift due to insufficient amount of vibratite (my mistake) then

it's almost back to step one.

Good if you don't use corrosive stuff so clean up wouldn't be too much work.

The issue is mostly on the MI design, not the PA RDS.

I don't understand why they did a two piece design for their mount (adjustable

windage). Were they trying to accomodate the other AKs with canted front sights?

If only Midwest Industries would make another improved version (one piece) I

would get another one and I mean this.