polychoke problems

Hey I just bought a poly choke for my saiga 12 and it will not fully seat. I cleaned the threads really well and checked for anything that would gum them up and its super clean. The choke screws down about half way and then there is a lot of resistance. I can only tighten it down to about 1/8" from bottoming out. Im kinda pissed that I just bought a $100 choke just to probably have it be defective. Have you guys had any problems installing yous? Is this normal?

Have you tried on other brakes to see if the guns threads are the problem or the poly choke? The gun may have shallow threads or a defect in the chokes threads.

First, I have recently experienced Poly Choke's customer service and have absolutely no complaints. I think the word "excellent" may not even adequately describe it. I had an old PolyChoke that I paid $50 for and it fit loose on my barrel. Called PolyChoke and they said send it to them. About a week after sending mine off, I received a brand new one that fit much better. If there is a problem with yours, I have no doubt that they will take good care of you.

ETA: Sorry for the confusion. I thought you were referring to the adjustment of it.

When you adjust the choke all of the way in, do the slots almost completely close. If so, the choke is probably fine. One of mine will not quite screw all of the way to where it looks like it should stop, but the slots are closed and the choke is adjusted as "tight" as it will adjust. Hope this helps.

Who was your S12 imported by and what year was it made? Apparently, the older S12s had a different thread spec which was had a slightly larger O.D. Call Polychoke and see what they say.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

Perhaps a couple pics? When you say cleaned the threads, do you mean the barrel, choke or both? Pretty sure mine came with a wrench that I had to use to fully seat it on the barrel - have you used the wrench or are you just hand tightening?

I've looked at the factory chokes, the conventional choke tube adapters, and the poly choke on the S12, and the Poly choke on my gun seats against the muzzle flush with an almost indiscernible transition from barrel to choke tube. Others seem to have a bit of a gap between the barrel & choke.

With that in mind, I just got a Poly for the S20 as well & wish they made them for the .410...

I used the wrench and tightned the choke as far as it could go and it stops about 4 threads from bottoming out. I checked inside the choke to see if the barrel is is flush and it still has that small 4 thread gap. Can I shoot it like this? Im concerned because dove season starts in a week and I need a choke and dont really have time to ship it back and wait for it to return. I checked my S12 threads and they all are perfect and clean and the poly chokes threads look perfect as well. I installed my thread protecter and it screwed on with no problems at all.

Call PolyChoke

(920)929-0667

Absolutely top notch customer service. Greg will probably swap one out, but what if he has a bad batch of them? More wasted time and more frustration. Tell PolyChoke CS what is going on and they can figure out what the problem is. I would almost bet money that they will just send you a new one. Call them.