Barrel Shroud removal help??

Hi Guys

I haven't posted here for quite a while, but I'm in a spot with removing my barrel shroud, so I wanted to ask for some assistance.

I read through the forums here, and it looks like there is a consensus that a pipe cutter is the best tool to remove the shroud. I have a dimpled, non-stepped, 09 Saiga 7.62x39, so there is a chance that I've got a threaded barrel under the shroud. I went at it with a cheap pipe cutter, which broke. I bought a better one, but I'm not sure if I'm making enough headway getting through the shroud. I obviously don't want to bugger my barrel, so it's time to stop and check in. After over an hour of turning (REALLY HARD) I finally took my dremel and made a light lengthwise cut in the shroud, but I'm still not getting it off. Please check the pics below and let me know your thoughts.... THANKS

2011-08-23%25252010.01.31.jpg

2011-08-23%25252010.02.17.jpg

Drive it in the direction you want it to move. Adding the cuts with a grinder serves three purposes - (1) if cut deep enough it works as a stress relief and allows it to slide off, (2) the heat on the part causes it to expand and allows it to slide, (3) provides a striking surface to drift it off.

Drive it toward the muzzle. Use a good cold chisel - I have a few that I've dulled for this purpose, and a good sized hammer - solid hard strikes, no tapping.

good luck

Mark

Drive it in the direction you want it to move. Adding the cuts with a grinder serves three purposes - (1) if cut deep enough it works as a stress relief and allows it to slide off, (2) the heat on the part causes it to expand and allows it to slide, (3) provides a striking surface to drift it off.

Drive it toward the muzzle. Use a good cold chisel - I have a few that I've dulled for this purpose, and a good sized hammer - solid hard strikes, no tapping.

good luck

Mark

Thanks Mark

So, to your eye, it doesn't look like I'm getting close to damaging the barrel with the cuts I've made so far? There is that outer layer, then one more layer before getting to the actual barrel, right? Was a little nervous about the "middle layer".. Figured it was part of the shroud, but wasn't 100%.

Thanks for your input man.

Ok, went back to the hardware store, and bought a different pipe cutter, a cold chisel, and a vise grip. Got home, put on the new pipe cutter, and gave it ONE twist. Heard a crackle sound and the dang thing came right off!! Haha... I was literally 1 turn away from having it pop off when I stopped and decided to ask you guys for help.. haha.. Unfortunately, NOT threaded.

Thanks for the input fellas.

OFF.jpg