Saiga 100 series form atlantic, half converted saiga out of the box

If it wasn't for that horrible etching on the receiver I would be all over one of those. Too bad they didn't go all out and add a proper gas block.

If you break the price down you can see that it's worth it just in parts:

FSB: ~$45

Handguards: ~$25 to $40

Gas tube: ~$15 to $20

Lower handguard retainer: ~$15 to $20

It also says "thread protector welded on for import purposes". Are these imported like this or is someone doing the front-end work? Also, who is the importer?

For several years we have been working on getting in a better version of the basic Russian IZ132 Saiga rifles for our customer and conversions. Below is the Saiga 100 Series IZ132 Model 2 that features >>>>>

Russian Installed Gas Tube

Russian Installed Gas Block

Russian Installed Hand Guards

Russian Installed AK74 Front sight & 24 mm threads

They are imported with a thread protector welded on but can be removed during conversion.

Yes they are more expensive than the basic IZ 132 but only about half of what it would cost in parts & paying a gunsmith to do the work plus all of this work is Factory installed .

IZ132MODEL2.jpg

• Like 3

Seemed like a good deal until seeing no dimples, bayo lug ground flush and no lug on gas block. Guess it's not a bad option for people who are just concerned with proper handguards and the use of a '74 brake, though. :rolleyes:

I saw these on another forum. They are certainly worth the extra $100 dollars. I wish they had a regular FSB with a muzzle nut that way people could use a slant brake if they wanted :cryss:

They do have regular muzzle threading. 24mm has been the standard since the 1970s

If it had dimples I'd have another f'ing Saiga.

I was ready to buy at least 5 SGL 10 rifles if the price was far under $800 the last time I checked on the atlantic website last year or so.

Now it finally happens but no dimples. :smoke:

Less than $500 and dimples with 24mm threading and then I may get interested again. Until then, I won't hold my breath.

Saiga_Arsenal_1.jpg

You can not legally import the rifle with bayonet lugs the rifle is a alternative to the basic IZ132 with most of the more expensive & harder front end work already factory completed in Russia .

True. These rifles are an improvement over the standard "sporter" IZ-132, although it would definitely be nice if they all came with guaranteed magwell dimples and "no step" chambers; features which US import laws do not affect and are mil-spec, (what most people want).

These are still pretty far from a SGL-21, (don't know exactly how Arsenal/K-VAR does it, but I suspect their Bulgarian connections help), but are a nice new option on the Russkie 7.62x39 carbine market.

+1 Atlantic! :up:

Edited by post-apocalyptic

IZ132MODEL2.jpg

Why are there two "match strike" areas? Why would the cyrilic 'Saiga' be hatched out? I do see it imprinted on the opposite side.

Something seems a little off.

Did we find out who int he importer is?

These are questions that were not answered when I asked them.....still waiting

• 2 weeks later...

Received rifle from Atlantic. My particular rifle has the receiver dimples. The lower front handguard does not have heat shield. Front end conversion is acceptable. The lower handguard retainer is a little loose when locked down on barrel ( moves left and right about eight of inch ) , most of my other AK type rifles have very tight handguard retainers with little to no movement. As this is only Saiga rifle I dont know if this is normal for these guns or not. No other problems detected.

Received rifle from Atlantic. My particular rifle has the receiver dimples. The lower front handguard does not have heat shield. Front end conversion is acceptable. The lower handguard retainer is a little loose when locked down on barrel ( moves left and right about eight of inch ) , most of my other AK type rifles have very tight handguard retainers with little to no movement. As this is only Saiga rifle I dont know if this is normal for these guns or not. No other problems detected.

The left to right looseness is really not normal. Does your barrel have notches for the retainer to track through like circled in the picture?

2cf75o1.jpg

I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

Does your retainer have folded ears like in the picture below? It should.

Even though it does not have a heat shield on yours, does it have the heat shield slot also seen in the picture about 1 inch below the top right corner? If it does, you can buy a stainless steel heat shield for $4.19 that will snap right in.

dovw3l.jpg

Edited by my762buzz
  • Like 1

Response to questions in previous post ....

There are no notches for handguard retainer to track through on barrel.

The handguard retainer does have folded edges.

The lower handguard does not have heat shield slots.

Any ideas on how to tighten handguard retainer other than welding up slot on barrel and re-cut it?

Thanks.

Edited by Machodoc RiverRat

Response to questions in previous post ....

There are no notches for handguard retainer to track through on barrel.

The handguard retainer does have folded edges.

The lower handguard does not have heat shield slots.

Any ideas on how to tighten handguard retainer other than welding up slot on barrel and re-cut it?

Thanks.

It is new so I would send it back and get a replacement. Call them Monday.

Edited by my762buzz

So the good news: some have dimples and the muzzle nut is easily removable.

The bad news- the lower handguard is not held on tight and there is no heat shield.

Still don't know how I feel about these.

I don't get it. Is the retainer itself loose as in not fully locked in place on the barrel notch or is it the handguard slipping or rotating inside the retainer?

I figure if the problem is the handguard fit alone and it can be fixed by purchasing an Arsenal US made handguard to take its place then all is good enough.

If the problem is a loose retainer to notch fit, then that is a big problem. This would require to much fixing and I would be quite surprised that this even happened.

• Like 1

So, if I read these posts correctly, this is a partial half conversion? It sounds like the front stuff is not 100% of what one would expect it to be. How difficult is this stuff to fix?

Can someone please post a photo of the scratched out writing?

Do normal unconverted Saiga 7.62s come with the magwell dimples? What is the function of the magwell dimples?

It sounds like the front stuff is not 100% of what one would expect it to be. How difficult is this stuff to fix?

If the front end is as loose as some people are saying, I would buy the cheaper version. IF the barrels are lacking a notch like 762buzz said, that can be fixed rather easily.

http://forum.saiga-1...post__p__617224

Do normal unconverted Saiga 7.62s come with the magwell dimples?

Some do, you can call the company you are ordering from and specify that you want a dimpled receiver.

What is the function of the magwell dimples?

I've heard that they strengthen the receiver, stabilize the magazines in the mag well, and make it easier to reload. You won't have to tilt the gun completely sideways to know the exact position of the magwell.

It sounds like the front stuff is not 100% of what one would expect it to be. How difficult is this stuff to fix?

If the front end is as loose as some people are saying, I would buy the cheaper version. IF the barrels are lacking a notch like 762buzz said, that can be fixed rather easily.

http://forum.saiga-1...post__p__617224

Do normal unconverted Saiga 7.62s come with the magwell dimples?

Some do, you can call the company you are ordering from and specify that you want a dimpled receiver.

What is the function of the magwell dimples?

I've heard that they strengthen the receiver, stabilize the magazines in the mag well, and make it easier to reload. You won't have to tilt the gun completely sideways to know the exact position of the magwell.

They actually have some kind of new etching under or near the front trunnion.