Saiga 100 series form atlantic, half converted saiga out of the box

Seemed like a good deal until seeing no dimples, bayo lug ground flush and no lug on gas block. Guess it's not a bad option for people who are just concerned with proper handguards and the use of a '74 brake, though. :rolleyes:

so can you get replacement parts that have all that stuff on them ?

• 4 months later...

What is the function of the magwell dimples?

I've heard that they strengthen the receiver, stabilize the magazines in the mag well, and make it easier to reload. You won't have to tilt the gun completely sideways to know the exact position of the magwell.

From a structural perspective, Dimples do increase the overall resistance to flex of metal, however I am not really sure with how small the dimples are on my AK if they actually do anything to benefit it.

Also I would love to see if this is true, but supposedly the stabilization of the mags is a bust. I have seen where that sourced from and I tend to believe it as it makes sense. People have issues with loose fitting mags, but that is generally from receivers that were made to fit single stack mags, and were machined to fit dual stack versions. The flaw is in the thousands upon thousands that were machined with too much of a tolerance which made them fit loose. I don't believe this was an issue on the Russian models, however all of the other variants from other countries.

I am going to try this myself, but if you take your dust cover and spring out as well as bolt you can see the mag clicking in, and if it even touches the dimpled parts of the receiver.

This is an example of where a dimple in metal would truly benefit you. A roll cage, you save weight as well as gain some strength against chassis flex.

I don't think the little dimples in the AK receivers do much.

629356013_NapBu-M.jpg

Edited by gasper44
  • 1 year later...