Got my TexasWeaponSystems Top Cover Installed

Its pretty dang nice might I add. I hesitated to get one because of the price, but its nicer in person.

Its Very solid when shut, and I really like how low the rail height is.

It also keeps a close contour to the original AK top cover which I really like (I never liked the top rails to added bulk, or a different shape to my AK. I like to keep the lines close to original even if it is modded).

IMG_0636.jpg

IMG_0628.jpg

IMG_0632-2.jpg

I also did a basic test fit on my S12 (which is why I really bought it).

Its a very tight fit (almost as if the S12 receiver is just SLIIIIIIIGHTLY wider than a regular AK).

And of course it will need to be cut/trimmed on the side so that a 12ga shell can eject without getting jammed up in the cover.

All of that only if you already have the AK47/74 rear sight and gas block on your S12 (so you can attach the front of the cover onto it).

But I do think I can get it to work. So once I get my AK sight/Gas Block & tube from Dinzag.... I'm gonna attempt to install one of these on my S12.

If I can get it to work nicely on my S12 I think that will be awesome!

Edited by ItsAllCreated
  • Like 2

I came very close to switching to one of these. I prefer the standard AK sights over a peep, but I was almost over that when I noticed after borrowing my friend's gun with one installed that the ejection port area is noticeably smaller with the TWS than with a standard top cover installed. This could lead to ejection problems. I'm puzzled as to why TWS didn't just follow the contour of the standard top cover.

Yeah know I didnt notice that, but I see what you mean. I doubt it will make a difference (its not alot narrower) but if it does cause probs... its nothing a dremel can't fix.

Once I get my AKsight/Gas system delivered, I'm going to attempt to fit one of these on my S12. I'll really have to dremel off a big chunk for that.

I came very close to switching to one of these. I prefer the standard AK sights over a peep, but I was almost over that when I noticed after borrowing my friend's gun with one installed that the ejection port area is noticeably smaller with the TWS than with a standard top cover installed. This could lead to ejection problems. I'm puzzled as to why TWS didn't just follow the contour of the standard top cover.

Yeah know I didnt notice that, but I see what you mean. I doubt it will make a difference (its not alot narrower)

Well, it's probably about 3-4 mm. That's not a minor difference in my book. One of the things that reassures me about AKs are the generous tolerances, which lead to greater reliability. I get nervous about compromising it.

but if it does cause probs... its nothing a dremel can't fix.

The same occurred to me, but I'm not happy about the idea of having to fix the designer's carelessness. Also, if I dremel it as such to make it have the same clearance as a standard top cover, I will end up cutting off most of the bottom half of the letters of "IN USA" and "PAT. PEND." I don't like my guns to look bubba'ed and hacked up if I can avoid it.

The same occurred to me, but I'm not happy about the idea of having to fix the designer's carelessness.

Perhaps I shouldn't be so unkind as to accuse the designer of carelessness. For all I know, the extra material that I'm complaining about is necessary to help give the whole cover the stiffness it needs. Nonetheless, it makes me too nervous about potential reliability issues to use it.

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking into the TWS sight package at one time. But when I went to order, they had dropped the windage adjustable rear peep. Since my front posts are off slightly, I wanted the windage adjustable rear so I could pull the front post back onto center a bit. I felt that would help the sight picture somewhat. I emailed them about it, and was told they'd have a new adjustable one available last spring. But, nothing yet. I think this setup would be perfect for a dot setup tho. Greg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Its pretty dang nice might I add. I hesitated to get one because of the price, but its nicer in person.

Its Very solid when shut, and I really like how low the rail height is.

It also keeps a close contour to the original AK top cover which I really like (I never liked the top rails to added bulk, or a different shape to my AK. I like to keep the lines close to original even if it is modded).

IMG_0636.jpg

IMG_0628.jpg

IMG_0632-2.jpg

I also did a basic test fit on my S12 (which is why I really bought it).

Its a very tight fit (almost as if the S12 receiver is just SLIIIIIIIGHTLY wider than a regular AK).

And of course it will need to be cut/trimmed on the side so that a 12ga shell can eject without getting jammed up in the cover.

All of that only if you already have the AK47/74 rear sight and gas block on your S12 (so you can attach the front of the cover onto it).

But I do think I can get it to work. So once I get my AK sight/Gas Block & tube from Dinzag.... I'm gonna attempt to install one of these on my S12.

If I can get it to work nicely on my S12 I think that will be awesome!

I have one of the TWS top covers I'm going to put on my next rifle build. Modifying one to work on the S-12 is pretty involved but could be done. There is something else you probably still haven't noticed though.... Just trimming the right and left side, and expanding the bottom to fit isn't enough. When I modded the Blackthorn AK cover to fit one of my S-12s, I got all that other stuff perfect, but when I installed it I noticed the biggest problem. If you look closely at the S-12 cover, compared to every other Saiga or AK, there is one key difference that sets it apart from the rest. Due to the larger bolt and carrier, they had to expand the dust cover behind where the carrier slides back into it, just behind the charging handle. If you don't put a bend in the dust cover to allow room for that, it's going to bind up when charging the weapon, or firing a round. I fixed mine with a little work to the carrier and the dust cover.

Once I get my AKsight/Gas system delivered, I'm going to attempt to fit one of these on my S12. I'll really have to dremel off a big chunk for that

Just FYI, I contacted TWS about 2 months ago and was told that they are working on an S-12 version. You might want to hold off.

• Like 1

I am getting ready to order the TWS sight system for my Saiga 223. I was lucky and found the peep sight used, and from the looks of it, it seems to be a nice looking setup.

Is it worth the $$$?

Am ordering mine through Carolina Shooters Supply, check goes out tomorrow or Monday.

Thanks for the write up.

• 3 months later...