5.46 or 7.62 for my next Saiga

Edit: typo in the title which I can't change - should say 5.45 or 7.62

Ok I realize my answer might be biased in this forum. But anyway, I'm thinking of picking up a Saiga rifle, I currently own a shotgun. I would like a shortish barreled ak (shortish meaning 16", not SBR). I plan to strip the paint and duracoat it in a desert camo parttern, then convert it myself and add a wire collapsable stock, similar to what you see on those tantals. Probably keep the synthetic foregrip (duracoat that as well) and swap internal parts for 922 compliance.

It probably will rarely come out of my gun safe except for range trips and show and tell but in theory it would be a nice little gun for carrying inside the car folded (got used to that in Iraq with folding stock AKs). I don't really need it for SHTF either as my collection is already more than me and my family could carry, so the debate as to which round is better for SHTF is moot.

Anyway I'm debating going with a 5.45 or a 7.62 here are the only discriminators I've found:

Advantages of the 7.62

1. More rounds of ammo already at my house than I will ever use in my SKS, so I wouldn't have to add another caliber or buy any more ammo.

2. Could be occasionally loaned out for whitail hunting to a small stature shooter (would loan a bigger caliber for a bigger person)

3. Deadlier if I ever do carry it for self defense.

Disadvantages if 7.62

???

Advantages of the 5.45

1. Cooler.

2. Less recoil so easier for my 8 YO son to shoot

Disadvantages of 5.45

1.Need to buy ammo.

Right now I am leaning towards 7.62, what do you think? Anything else I should consider before deciding?

Edited by auburn2

I have AKs in both calibers. Right now Im more into the 5.45 because its still new to me and because the price of ammo. I can get it for about $140 +/- at the gun shows and about $150 shipped. So the price is a big advantage. Other then that the 5.45 has less recoil (about same as 223 if that matters to you)also flatter shooting.

As for deadlines I think they are about the same. No bullet is a guaranteed one shot kill and either one will drop 2 and 4 legged critters!

My understanding is you only have an SKS and no AKs right? So besides the stock of x39 you arnt heavily invested in either caliber as far as gear, accessories.....On the other hand that's more then you have in 5.45. I think at this point stick with what you already have unless you want to add another caliber.

If you have your heart set on a wire stock, the 5.45 will be more comfortable to shoot.

I have been shooting a lot of 5.45, it's dirt cheap and has a slight edge in accuracy partly due to the ballistics and partly to the thicker barrel walls. Very easy to keep on target too.

They will take down small game just fine, guys hunt with 5.56 and this is a similar round but it tumbles rather than fragments. The heavier 7.62 round definitely as a lot of punch isn't always the better performer depending on intended task.

Edited by rob-cubed

Urban (100 yards and in) and wood usage the 7.62 is better for the less likely the bullet will get deflected. The 5.45 round is hands down better for open area shooting upwards to 400 meters +. It could be considered an acceptable round for urban and wooded areas, but defections are more likely, but follow up shots are also more likely more accurate as well vs 7.62 (huge run on).

I shot both and I have to say that 5.45 is funnier to shoot and accurate out pass 100m. I seriously doubt it matters if you hit something with a 5.45 vs a 7.62 within 100 yards.IMO you have more applications with a 5.45 vs a 7.62 AK. You hear about weight sometimes b/w 7.62 and 5.45, but I find it negligible (holding a loaded rifle that is). Lugging around 7.62 vs 5.45 rounds would have a definite weight difference however.

All differences a side I like both and shoot more 545 but one thing to keep in mind is the cheap 545 is very corrosive which will have to be really cleaned up good every time you shoot which could wear the cool dura coat finish you are wanting to do out pretty quick. I typicaly use brake cleaner and hopes to clean my 545 up which I think would eat dura coat up. Threre is a lot of other things to consider as well just throwing this out there from expirence.