Ruger SP-101 with Badger grips

None of these are mine. But as soon as I sell my Glock 23, I'll be ordering a 3" SP101 and I'll also be ordering a set of the Badger boot grips. It's probably the sexiest combination I've ever seen. As much as a "function over form" type of guy I am.........I can't get over how good these look. That, couple with the fact that the SP101 has eleventy billion great reviews, and that I've been wanting a revolver for some time now.....makes this a no-brainer.

16703g4.jpg

sp101_badger2_nosn.jpg

sp1012.jpg

SP101.jpg

spboot.jpg

1sfdrb.jpg

DSC02115.JPG

4b3348f9.jpg

........and now for the one I plan to copy, specifically, with the black wood:

sp101jq3.jpg

:o:f0ckers::beer:

It's.....it's.....it's so beautiful.

Now, onto my question: I much prefer the matte look in the last pic, over the shiny look in some others. Ruger's site lists all SP101 models as "Satin Stainless". Is this "Satin Stainless" indeed the matte looking version, and the other shiny looking ones are just the result of different lighting and/or someone doing some polishing? Or did Ruger make a shiny stainless version at one time?

Even when clicking through the different SP101 models on Ruger's site, all listed as "Satin Stainless", some of them look shiny, some don't. No consistency in the pics.

• Like 1

None of these are mine. But as soon as I sell my Glock 23, I'll be ordering a 3" SP101 and I'll also be ordering a set of the Badger boot grips. It's probably the sexiest combination I've ever seen. As much as a "function over form" type of guy I am.........I can't get over how good these look. That, couple with the fact that the SP101 has eleventy billion great reviews, and that I've been wanting a revolver for some time now.....makes this a no-brainer.

sp1012.jpg

Even when clicking through the different SP101 models on Ruger's site, all listed as "Satin Stainless", some of them look shiny, some don't. No consistency in the pics.

From what I understand the Satin Stainless is like the picture above. That is what the finish on my GP100 is like. That is what I have been told, I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time, just ask my wife :unsure:).

A good friend of mine has an SP101 and it is a very nice gun, it is really pleasant to shot with .38 specials and the finish on his looks like the picture and it was supposed to be Satin Stainless. I have heard that Robar's Roguard finish can be applied to stainless guns.

One last note: the grips look great on the gun. :)

Edited by THX1138

Great choice!

The SP101 is a fantastic revolver, I really regret selling mine.

I had similar grips, and they were great for CCW.

The stock rubber grips are fine, but my shirt would always get stuck and ride up on them them when carrying IWB

All of the ones I've seen were the matte satin stainless finish, I polished mine with Mother's mag polish because that inner redneck made me do it.. Gotta have one polished revolver :lol: They're nice CCW revolvers, I've been carrying mine daily since late spring and its comfortable and easy to conceal. Mine seems to shoot dead on with about any 158 grain .357 factory load, actually tore a pretty fresh target nearly in half at 5 yards with the muzzle blast the first time I used some of my carry loads through it.

Might have to look into some grips like that, the factory ones work well but aren't large enough to fit my hand well and the hogue grip I use likes to make my shirt ride up.

Good to hear your going forward with the SP101....remember awhile back you asking about them.

Badger grips have always caught my eye on the SP101's (especially the black/grey with mat stainless). The Hogue mine wears does easy get caught on shirts when bending over or sitting. I have adjusted and don't consider where I'm carrying it to be problematic (no deep conceal situation).

I am surprised how well I can naturally shoot the SP101 which is why I feel fine about carrying five rounds instead of a high capacity. The 3" barrel your planning on will make shooting even more pleasant.

Think about your front sight. You carrying it when its dark or want a some kind of light pipe?

Good luck on your sale and acquisition.

My buddy had one. Nice gun but I wasn't a fan of the heavy trigger pull or the reloading for a lefty. But it did feel nice in my hand and shot nice too

I've never owned a revolver, so I'm not familiar with what a "good" pull is on one. Therefore, maybe "ignorance is bliss" will be my situation, lol. But I have read there are cheap/easy ways to lighten and crisp up an SP-101's trigger pull. Will look more into if need be. Thanks for the heads up.

Man those pistols are pretty. I never had heard of this grips until now. I'll keep them in mind for when I get another revolver.

Yes, indeed! I guess they're made by a one-man-shop in NC. Pretty damn pricey at about $80, but I can't stop drooling over these damn grips.

Good to hear your going forward with the SP101....remember awhile back you asking about them.

Badger grips have always caught my eye on the SP101's (especially the black/grey with mat stainless). The Hogue mine wears does easy get caught on shirts when bending over or sitting. I have adjusted and don't consider where I'm carrying it to be problematic (no deep conceal situation).

I am surprised how well I can naturally shoot the SP101 which is why I feel fine about carrying five rounds instead of a high capacity. The 3" barrel your planning on will make shooting even more pleasant.

Think about your front sight. You carrying it when its dark or want a some kind of light pipe?

Good luck on your sale and acquisition.

Yep. Been looking into a revolver for awhile now. The idea got put on the back burner for awhile while I bought other things. Now I'm back to being focused on this.

As far as carrying it.......I'm not sure. I'm just over 1 week into my 90 day (possibly shorter, depending on how busy SLED is) wait for my concealed carry permit. I plan on carrying my G19 and have toyed with the idea of carrying my G21 once I put some rounds through it, if I can conceal a gun that big. I honestly hadn't planned on the SP101 as a carry gun, but wouldn't be against carrying it in some sort of pocket holster for certain occasions. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

One thing I already know about these specific grips is that they normally interfere with speed-loaders. They'll still work, but they'll hang up on a curve in the grip and make it so you can't flush fit the loader to the cylinder. The guy who makes the grips will supposedly mod the grips to work with speed loaders, though. But I had planned on using some of these "speed strips" anyway.

Can't go wrong carrying your G19 or 21.

With a good holster it is surprising how manageable service size sidearm's ride. Did the XD45 or XD9SC in crossbreed holster for a year or two. Got hooked on appendix carry real quick and still do it depending on where I am. The most comfy has become OWB, in particular the SP101...go figure. The revolvers shape makes them easy/comfortable to carry for me (same with the SW442).

SP101L.jpg

Speed stripes work fine for revolver reloads. I found the speed loaders were bulky to carry so they never caught on with me.

Have seen a few pics of pocket carry for the SP101. It is too big for my pockets. Only carry the J frame in a Mika pocket if I have cargo shorts on. It just doesn't fit in the kind of jeans I wear.

As you mentioned, you can smooth up the trigger on the SP101 and change a spring or two if you want. Both are easy to do and make a world of difference.

No matter what you end up using the little revolver for you will be pleased. They are workhorse tanks that go bang when you need them to.

Good luck.

Can't go wrong carrying your G19 or 21.

With a good holster it is surprising how manageable service size sidearm's ride. Did the XD45 or XD9SC in crossbreed holster for a year or two. Got hooked on appendix carry real quick and still do it depending on where I am. The most comfy has become OWB, in particular the SP101...go figure. The revolvers shape makes them easy/comfortable to carry for me (same with the SW442).

SP101L.jpg

Speed stripes work fine for revolver reloads. I found the speed loaders were bulky to carry so they never caught on with me.

Have seen a few pics of pocket carry for the SP101. It is too big for my pockets. Only carry the J frame in a Mika pocket if I have cargo shorts on. It just doesn't fit in the kind of jeans I wear.

As you mentioned, you can smooth up the trigger on the SP101 and change a spring or two if you want. Both are easy to do and make a world of difference.

No matter what you end up using the little revolver for you will be pleased. They are workhorse tanks that go bang when you need them to.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info.

The SP101 might be too big for my pockets, too. I'm not sure yet, since I've never handled one, lol.

The 2 1/4" has a little bit long of a grip for the pocket. Now the badger grips look like they would shorten it up but you would know better than me on that. A 3" would be big for the pocket I would say. On a side note I never thought I would carry IWB until I got my permit and now thats pretty much it. You wont know what you feel comfortable with until you carry it IMO.

The 2 1/4" has a little bit long of a grip for the pocket. Now the badger grips look like they would shorten it up but you would know better than me on that. A 3" would be big for the pocket I would say. On a side note I never thought I would carry IWB until I got my permit and now thats pretty much it. You wont know what you feel comfortable with until you carry it IMO.

Yeah, after watching some more videos of people handling the SP101, it does look a tad big for pocket carry.

I'm comfortable with IWB carry. Well, as comfortable as I can be at the moment, considering the only time I've carried is around the house, just breaking in the holster while I wait for my permit to arrive. But carrying a G19/23 in my Crossbreed Supertuck is very comfortable. I can only imagine it would be even easier with something the size of an SP101 with the boot grips.

........[edited for effect]... with the black wood:

LMFAO!!! You like black "wood"??!!! :lolol::lolol::lolol: I prefer brunettes or redheads myself.

On a serious note though my next CCW pistol is going to be a SP101. I need a one-stop shot pistol and this fits the bill perfectly.

NICE CHOICE!

........[edited for effect]... with the black wood:

LMFAO!!! You like black "wood"??!!! :lolol::lolol::lolol: I prefer brunettes or redheads myself.

On a serious note though my next CCW pistol is going to be a SP101. I need a one-stop shot pistol and this fits the bill perfectly.

NICE CHOICE!

Once you go black, you never.........wait, what?

:lolol:

I own a 3 inch barreled SP101. Behaves well in .38, so much I taught 5 people to shoot with it a couple weeks back.

.357, with the stock Ruger grips, is firm, but good.

The gun is a tank, and the short radius and short barrel make it easy to miss, but it CAN shoot bulls at 25 yards,

if you do your part.

It is not too big, but it IS heavy. I've pocket carried it before, and it's heavy for that. However, a good holster at 4 oclock

and you won't know it's there.

I consider it one of the best value modern revolvers.....and get the one in .357

I consider it one of the best value modern revolvers.....and get the one in .357

.357 indeed. It'll be nice to be able to shoot .38 for cheaper range time.

Come to think it, why do they even make a .38-specific version if the .357 will also fire .38? Both models are the same price, so I see no reason to go with the .38-specific version. :huh:

Well I ordered a SP101 today! 2 1/4" this will be my main carry. Pretty stoked, hopefully should be in by Friday. Cant wait. I also picked up the wife a S&W. Was going to get a .357 but yhey only offer the alloy ones in black (PD models). She wanted the silver finish so we just went with the .38. I do totally agree, you basically have 2 guns in 1 with the .357

Well I ordered a SP101 today! 2 1/4" this will be my main carry. Pretty stoked, hopefully should be in by Friday. Cant wait. I also picked up the wife a S&W. Was going to get a .357 but yhey only offer the alloy ones in black (PD models). She wanted the silver finish so we just went with the .38. I do totally agree, you basically have 2 guns in 1 with the .357

Be sure to post pics of both!

Still haven't put my order in. I'm like a woman in a purse store; I change my mind every 2 fucking minutes! :lolol: I've been contemplating a Glock 26 for when my CWP gets here. So I'm flip-flopping back and forth between the G26 or SP101. Decisions, decisions.

Anyway, congrats on the purchases!

Still haven't put my order in. I'm like a woman in a purse store; I change my mind every 2 fucking minutes! :lolol: I've been contemplating a Glock 26 for when my CWP gets here. So I'm flip-flopping back and forth between the G26 or SP101. Decisions, decisions.

BTW thank you! Im the same way. I went back and forth last year when I bought my .45. This year Im gettin the revolver. If you are anything like me you will probably end up with both. I was pretty set on a Smith until I saw this thread. I went back to the gun shop 3 times before I made up my mind. I sure I will be very happy with my decision, thanks again shooter!

BTW thank you! Im the same way. I went back and forth last year when I bought my .45. This year Im gettin the revolver. If you are anything like me you will probably end up with both. I was pretty set on a Smith until I saw this thread. I went back to the gun shop 3 times before I made up my mind. I sure I will be very happy with my decision, thanks again shooter!

No problem. Enjoy!

...............and you're probably right; I probably will end up with both at some point, lol.

• 1 month later...

Just got mine today!! I would post a picture of mine but all "factory" SP101's look alike with rubber grips...gunna take her out and shoot it this evening. I got a KILLER deal to boot. It is used but looks like the guy fired it and had a second thought and brought it back. (1) Box of .38spl, (1) Box .357 JHP's, (1) Soft case and the pistol......

$475 out the door!!!greedy.gif

Just got mine today!! I would post a picture of mine but all "factory" SP101's look alike with rubber grips...gunna take her out and shoot it this evening. I got a KILLER deal to boot. It is used but looks like the guy fired it and had a second thought and brought it back. (1) Box of .38spl, (1) Box .357 JHP's, (1) Soft case and the pistol......

Sounds like a decent deal with the ammo and case added on. Let us know how she shoots!

FYI we went out a few weeks ago. The trigger break is awesome. Dont understand why I heard so much about the Smith trigger being smoother?? My wife shot 158 grain .357 out of the Ruger better than 124 grain .38 out of the Smith (granted a bigger rubber grip vs. the little wood one and weight difference). Much harder pull on the 642 IMO. I love that Ruger! Edit: Congrats MCASSgt.

Edited by Yoshi

Sounds like a decent deal with the ammo and case added on. Let us know how she shoots!

Took her out with some .38spl rounds and some .357 Hornady 140gr FTX loads. Neither one seamed too bad and of course the .38spl was the easiest. I'll be looking for some good home defense rounds. Not sure if I wanna go with light loads 125gr or buffalo loads 158gr+ rounds. Thought or other suggestions are appreciated.

I would stick to lighter loads for home defense and heavier for woods. I would think the 158 would be too much penetration for us soft skinned mammals, but thats just me speculating, however the 125 is what 357mag built its reputation on.