K-VAR RPK handguard, thoughts/comments?

I'm thinking about switching to the K-VAR RPK handguard and bracket.

Wondering what everyones thoughts were about the mounting bracket fit? Is it a tight fit with no play, has a little bit of play in it etc.? Also, how does the setup feel when its slung over your shoulder, or holding it by the sling, do you notice any movement when using the built in sling loop? Has the bracket loosened up over time?

Also, is it a US made part?

Edited by Mullet Man

been doing ALOT of researching the RPK handguards lately as I just scored a RPK that's gonna need one to match the rest of the rifle once I get done with the mods.... I'm wondering though, which specific handguard your looking at? the milled ones won't fit to best of my knowledge, and the stamped ones only come in plum unless I've missed something ( which is what i'm hopeing... maby they have a conversion kit? that I could rob the handguard from for my actual RPK and not have to make do with the plum one ghetto painted black )

as a side note... someone REALLY needs to make a good handguard for the RPK.... something....quadish..... its just a bit bigger than an AK handguard, couldn't be THAT hard to run off a few hundred of em and have the market cornered... theres alot of us folks that are trying to get away from the wood, and damn few options for em... Kvar plum... or no...thats it.... Kvar plum =o(

saw the set your looking at, it is US made, and shoot a PM to Dinzag on this forum, he's had his hands on em and could attest to their quality, he sells them from his storefront as well so that says alot... he dosen't strike me as a guy to pawn crap off on folks

sadly its an RPK style handguard and not an RPK handguard.... Still though, the 12ga barrel is easily as wide or more so than the RPK heavy barrel.... I'm just wondering if it can be made to work if I trim those gas tube ears off and.......

anyway, someone CNC a quad for the rpk already!

edited to add: Ohhhh! CSS has em too! now thats nice

Edited by datrowl

I like it. Lots. After a ton of shooting theres maybe half a millimeter of front to back play in the HG. Nothing to be concerned with.

Best part (IMHO) is that with just one extra screw and a 2" section of rail one can easily attach a mini-rail just forward of the HG. I did this in under an hour with a drill press and a hacksaw. I'm very pleased with the results, perfect for mounting a tac-lite without all the bulk and weight of the quad-rail systems.

Anybody else done this? I'll try to get a few pictures tonight.

• Like 1

I like mine, it fits tight with no wiggle whatsoever and no fitting was needed. I haven't run the gun real hot since installing it, but like most of K-VARs line it is well made and should hold up to heat.

Good to know. I have 3 KVAR stocks and like them on all my Saigas, they are built tough.

Do you use a sling on the RPK HG? Does it have a steel liner [EDIT:] ...err heatshield?

Edited by Mullet Man

I'm not understanding why it is named the RPK handguard as I have never seen one on an RPK. It looks good, but seems like it might be too short to use comfortably with a 20 round drum. I wouldn't mind trying one out for use with sticks mags though.

I like it. Lots. After a ton of shooting theres maybe half a millimeter of front to back play in the HG. Nothing to be concerned with.

Best part (IMHO) is that with just one extra screw and a 2" section of rail one can easily attach a mini-rail just forward of the HG. I did this in under an hour with a drill press and a hacksaw. I'm very pleased with the results, perfect for mounting a tac-lite without all the bulk and weight of the quad-rail systems.

Anybody else done this? I'll try to get a few pictures tonight.

Ha, nice.

CSS sells a spring retainer for standard AK lower HG's that is meant to keep slop out of it. I wonder if one could be made to work with the RPk setup?

I have one on my S12. It came that way. I got a few busted knuckles off it @ first till I figured it out. Wasn't used to the recoil it had. Used to a pump not something that only weights 4lbs. I like it but am looking for a quad rail in the future.

The Kvar handguard fits good, feels good. Much better than the "Galil" that's not a galil handguard that Tapco makes. If you like the look of the black AK handguards without all the head aches it's a good light weight compromise. For the price on a simple conversion it's a good option. Of the three 12's I have now one has a real Galil HG, one a Chaos Tri rail, and one the Kvar unit and I don't see that changing any time soon. I was actually a little shocked it was as good as it turned out to be.

The Kvar RPK handguard is a nice try, and it is better than the stock handguard, but it really has a "imitation RPK" look to it. If you want the real AK style front end, I agree that you have to go with Dinzag which also gives you the ability to put the upper handguard on there too.

aks12-002.jpg

Dinzag Arms

• Like 1

The Kvar RPK handguard is a nice try, and it is better than the stock handguard, but it really has a "imitation RPK" look to it. If you want the real AK style front end, I agree that you have to go with Dinzag which also gives you the ability to put the upper handguard on there too.

http://www.dinzagarms.com/saiga_12/large/aks12-002.jpg

Dinzag Arms

Oh, i know all about Dinzags RSB setup, trust me, i love it! Someday for sure.

------

angrychair, how do you like using the sling with that bracket, any complaints or thoughts? I use the "H&K" style sling hooks too and like them alot.

Edited by Mullet Man

post-33240-0-71675200-1314418596_thumb.jpg

Best part (IMHO) is that with just one extra screw and a 2" section of rail one can easily attach a mini-rail just forward of the HG. Anybody else done this? I'll try to get a few pictures tonight.

YUP

Did it on my wife's S-12:

Edited by Odd Man Out

005.jpg

Best part (IMHO) is that with just one extra screw and a 2" section of rail one can easily attach a mini-rail just forward of the HG. Anybody else done this? I'll try to get a few pictures tonight.

YUP

I think he meant on the gas block, instead of on the handguard.

YUP

Gotcha

• 2 months later...

YUP

I am looking at using the KVAR bracket like thism but with another forend.

I would like to know 2 things from those of you who have them:

1) is it solid, or can you wiggle the bracket?

2) will this work with any AK forend, or just that one?

--It looks like it fits in the same point as the Bulgy 74 LHG I reamed out, which ends about 1/16" before the rear edge of the gas block, leaving just enough room for thickness of the modded bulgarian bracket. It would be simpler to just tap into the next one if the KVAR bracket would fit. see pic for clarity.

post-17871-0-21518600-1320204451_thumb.jpg

post-17871-0-92418700-1320204536_thumb.jpg

post-17871-0-46406500-1320204554_thumb.jpg