"Certain additional information must also be conspicuously placed on

the frame, receiver, or barrel of the firearm by engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), that is, they

must be placed in such a manner that they are wholly unobstructed from plain view. For firearms

manufactured on or after January 30, 2002, this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch"

I don't think the trunnion is acceptable.

the only marking I ever see on the trunion, foreign made AKs, is the serial number. the manufaturer names are always marked on the receiver. there is no room on the trunion to even put a manufatuer name. unless you are talking about a arsenal mark on the trunion, that really isn't a manufaturer name, just a logo.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

Some permanently attached parts are considered valid, perhaps (guessing here) even part of the receiver. The front trunnion might be considered part of the receiver, hence the legality of placing the serial there instead of the receiver itself. Similarly, the serial number of a Glock pistol (or any of several other pistols) is not actually on the frame, but on a piece of metal permanently attached to the frame.

When in doubt, write for an opinion letter.

• 2 weeks later...

There are somem AK type firearms with the information on the trunion.. My Saiga 12 has the serial number on one side and the model, importer, city and state on the other side of the trunion. Granted... Those are very big trunions.

Regardless, I do have a letter from the Tech Branch regarding the trunion. Once riveted to the sheet metal receiver, it becomes part of the receiver (basically considered as permanent as the metal strips in polymer framed firearms). If the trunion contains the original manufacturer's serial number, then it cannot ever be replaced because doing so would remove the original serial number. If not serial numbered or if it does not contain original required NFA marks,then it can be replaced.

Edited by RDSWriter