Unmodified Saiga upgrades

A new fella here with a couple of questions.

Is there a trigger mod or upgrade for the standard un-modified Saiga?

Is there a wood buttstock and forearm available? I'm a southpaw, so the monti carlo or thumbhole won't work for me.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Great forum, by the way. :)

They make wood stocks I'm pretty sure. Why don't you want to convert it to the real deal? Just curious.

I'm glad you asked that, tsc. I've never been comfortable with pistol grip-styled rifles. I've shot shotgun style stocks all my life. It's matter of consistency and a comfort zone.

• Like 1

I also am torn as to do a full conversion...I own pistol grip rifles, including an AK. Like them just fine. But, I also like the straight sporting stock too. I find the sporting stock to be very quick handling...fast to the shoulder, and excellent pointing.

As far as the trigger goes, I see a lot of criticism of the stock trigger. In my Saiga 5.45, out of the box, it was stiff and notchy. I took the time to clean it well, and lube all the contact points in the linkage...after each range session, I have donr this again as part of my cleaning. I have now fired about 600 rounds through this Saiga, and the trigger has gotten very good indeed...just light enough, and a crisp break...and smooth.

The only reason I am considering doing a conversion is that I want to run the AK74 muzzle break...doing the pistol grip conversion seems like the easiest, cheapest way to do that, and keep 922 compliant. Funny that the law is almost forcing me to add "evil rifle" features just to add a muzzle break.

I also am torn as to do a full conversion...I own pistol grip rifles, including an AK. Like them just fine. But, I also like the straight sporting stock too. I find the sporting stock to be very quick handling...fast to the shoulder, and excellent pointing.

As far as the trigger goes, I see a lot of criticism of the stock trigger. In my Saiga 5.45, out of the box, it was stiff and notchy. I took the time to clean it well, and lube all the contact points in the linkage...after each range session, I have donr this again as part of my cleaning. I have now fired about 600 rounds through this Saiga, and the trigger has gotten very good indeed...just light enough, and a crisp break...and smooth.

The only reason I am considering doing a conversion is that I want to run the AK74 muzzle break...doing the pistol grip conversion seems like the easiest, cheapest way to do that, and keep 922 compliant. Funny that the law is almost forcing me to add "evil rifle" features just to add a muzzle break.

All I have to say is that the sporter trigger looks like something Rube Goldberg would've made... That whole set-up as compared to the standard AK trigger group is just plain absurd,,, I would never in a million years say that the sporter trigger setup is as good as a standard AK setup.

• Like 2

"Looks like" is an opinion. Have you shot one that was properly broken in and lubed? I have a lot of trigger time on the AK. The Saiga trigger can do good work once it is broken in.

Yes... the stock trigger I had worked. AK standard trigger is far more superior than the stock one. Glad to know you enlighten me that what I wrote previously was an opinion... I gets confuseds and stuffs

I too have to say that a judicous bit of cleaning up and polishing can do wonders for a stock trigger. I know my 91/30's trigger is pretty decent after a little "fluff n' buff".

I may be one of the only guys you'll find around here that doesn't have an opinion on whether you should convert or not :) It's your rifle, run it how you want.

I shot my S12 a whole bunch before I converted it, and the trigger did work in pretty nicely.

Personally, I like monte carlo stocks, so I didn't convert for awhile because of that. But, the AK platform really does work better for me with a PG in the proper location. The safety is in a better location, and you'll probably find that it balances better by getting some of the receiver above your hand. It isn't so much that the factory Saiga set up is BAD, it is just much BETTER when converted.

Even still, my father in law has a little .410 saiga that he shoots clays with.. never converted it, and he doesn't miss with that .410 very much. It balances and swings fine for him, so why mess with it?

My wife likes her Saiga unconverted too, she shoots better with her factory stock Saiga than my converted one. So, I'm not going to argue.

Use what works for you.

That said, you don't know how converting will work for you if you don't try it. Just a thought.