weld on flash hider

Alright I've got a new to me converted 16" S 308. I think the gun is just about the perfect MBR, but it needs a flash hider.

Has anyone had a flash hired welded onto the end of the front sight base? The fsb already extends beyond the muzzle. Does anyone see any potential broblems with removing the fsb welding on a FB and reinstalling? I don't intend to ever use a sound supressor, so allignment doesn't have to be absolutley perfect, and its not going to be a brake so again perfect allignment shouldn't be too big of a deal.

Let me know what you guys think.

Been there - done that. Tried a HK G3 flash supressor (modified to fit the end cap and go about 1/4" over the verticle part of the FSB) using a TIG. The FSB and FH were too dissimilar metals (steels) to weld reliably. It blew off after about 40 rounds. Mind you, I didn't remove it prior to welding. Made a jig to hold it in line with the bore, in place. Just couldn't hit it with enough pedal to weld without damaging the barrel. Might work if you remove the FSB and weld it seperately. I ended up having DINZAG machining my FSB to sit back on the barrel about 1/4" back and I threaded the muzzle 5/8-24. I am usng a M-60 machinegun FH and it is fricken awesome.

Macbeau sends.

Been there - done that. Tried a HK G3 flash supressor (modified to fit the end cap and go about 1/4" over the verticle part of the FSB) using a TIG. The FSB and FH were too dissimilar metals (steels) to weld reliably. It blew off after about 40 rounds. Mind you, I didn't remove it prior to welding. Made a jig to hold it in line with the bore, in place. Just couldn't hit it with enough pedal to weld without damaging the barrel. Might work if you remove the FSB and weld it seperately. I ended up having DINZAG machining my FSB to sit back on the barrel about 1/4" back and I threaded the muzzle 5/8-24. I am usng a M-60 machinegun FH and it is fricken awesome.

Macbeau sends.

Did you sent the rifle to Dinzag? I really want a muzzle break on my 308.

Macbeau sends.

Did you sent the rifle to Dinzag? I really want a muzzle break on my 308.

Nope. I just sent him the FSB. He removed the front cap on the FSB and bored out the back to fit back farther on the barrel - which allows you to thread the muzzle about 1/2" or so.

Macbeau, thanks for that info. I was just trying to brainstorm and see if there was a simpler solution. I guess I'll just have to give up a little more time and money and do it right.

BTW How much did you spend on the total process of adding the flash hider.

I have a TROMIX converted S-308 16 inch with TROMIX Folder. In the conversion he permanetly attached a 74 style brake with NO PROBLEMS, IT CAN BE DONE SUCCESSFULLY.....can't even tell it's welded on. It looks as if factory, never had any problems and works VERY well, especially rapid fire... Much more pronounced effect over my 7.62x39 AKs with a 74 stlye brake. I put a MOJO peep sight on it....(I HIGHLY RECOMMEND for the 308)....and can put them on a pie plate @ 300yrds all day long....with roughly hand size goups or smaller. I also have a Ver. 21 308 with a Burris 2-7 compact w/a balistic Reticle (Excellent scope and well proportioned to the rifle), Harris Bipods, BP-02 mounts and a nice sling... Nail Driver and will shoot SUB-MOA consistently with the Federal 150gr Power Points that are usually a gooa deal at W-mart. I haven't even tried anything Match Grade yet. AND Still can't decide which I like better....