Gas settings backwards? Shot mine today.

OK, I finally went out with some friends and shot my conversion today. I had some Rem HV All purpose 7/8 oz 8 shot. My manual says Pos 1 is non-magnum and 2 is Magnum. Having remembered that you can mess up your shotgun shooting magnums on the wrong setting, I followed the manual. With the All Purpose, it would shoot the first round and not eject, 2nd round, same thing. Sometimes it would feed the last 3 of a 5 round string and sometimes the last 2, sometimes all 5 were singles. I switched the setting to 2 for magnum per the manual and shot some 3" Max Dram 1 1/4 oz 5 shot Turkey loads (got them on sale). It ran like a top. I shot only 10-15 rounds of 3" through it. I then reviewed the manual and followed the directions of turning the gas nut c-clockwise till it stopped and backed it up to 1 for light loads. Same thing as before. I don't believe I put more than 13-15 rounds of 3" through it. I put a total of about 30 2 3/4 through it. Before you ask, I did use the 2 3/4 mag with the 2 3/4 shells, and changed magazines out to make sure it wasn't a mag problem.

Is the manual just backwards? I'm looking at it as I type this post and it reads, "(Options: Position 2 is for Magnum, heavey loads; Position 1 is for non Magnum loads)". I certainly don't want to hammer my rear trunnion.

If I would have been smart I would have tried shooting the lighter loads on the magnum setting, just ran out of time. It was still fun to shoot. We were shooting into east MS kudzu and had a trail cut after a few rounds. The guys I was shooting with had never seen anything like it and really enjoyed it.

Also, the Colibri primer only rounds in a Ruger Single Six are a hoot to shoot. You don't need hearing protection (really, and I were it with 22 LR) and they can make a can jump at 15 feet. My 8 yr old son could hit with it, no problem, as well as my wife and my buddies wife (who doesn't shoot a lot). I don't think I could recommend a better pistol/caliber combo for someone starting to shoot. No recoil, no loud noises, get close to your target and see the results. Great fun.

OK, back to the topic, is the manual just bass ackwards? I'll check back tomorrow because I'm out of state and using another computer.

Thanks,

jd1

heres the thing....

UNSCREW the plug.... LOOK AT THE ANGULAR CUT... see where it is oriented as far as 1 or 2 position... and go from there....

the manual *SHOULD BE* right... doesnt mean it is... look and make sure, so you will have ZERO DOUBT that when it is set "here"... the angle is lined up more open... and when set "there"... the angle closes off the gas porsts more...

no doubts, no worries! 1 minute to unscrew, check, reassemble! :D

:smoke:

Yes, I believe it is backwards. My S-20 is an '02 model and the manual states it exactly like yours. My S-410 is an '03 model. The manual is identical, except for the page about the gas settings. It has a sticker over that part and says the opposite. I will take pics and post them.

#1 is for magnum loads and #2 is for light loads.

The plugs for both of mine are the same. The chamfer is located behind the #2.

It's a good idea to remove the plug and see for yourself. You can also take out the gas piston and make sure it's clean. Should slide freely.

Yes, I believe it is backwards. My S-20 is an '02 model and the manual states it exactly like yours. My S-410 is an '03 model. The manual is identical, except for the page about the gas settings. It has a sticker over that part and says the opposite. I will take pics and post them.

#1 is for magnum loads and #2 is for light loads.

The plugs for both of mine are the same. The chamfer is located behind the #2.

It's a good idea to remove the plug and see for yourself. You can also take out the gas piston and make sure it's clean. Should slide freely.

If the chamfer is behind the #2 on the .410 or the 20 then that is for light loads. The chamfer allows more gases to flow into the tube and that makes it easier to cycle the light loads.

Thanks guys. That was my next step, take out the plug and see which setting was which. I'll let you know how it turns out. I hope to shoot it again this week.

Thanks for the quick reply.

As a side note, I have an AK style stock on my Saiga, metal buttplate and all, and I have some good shoulder marks today. I had a good cheek weld and the shotgun tight into my shoulder but that buttplate is unforgiving, but it sure looks cool!

Later,

jd1

I believe when referring to shotgun shells, magnum refers to the amount of shot in the round. Length doesn't matter. (so my wife tells me :unsure: ) As far as rifle cartridges, magnum refers to the amount of powder. This is my professional internet opinion so take it for what it's worth.

Anyone else???