SGM 8 round mag level mod

I got my 3x 8 round mags today. I decided to add holes on the rear of the mag to tell how many rounds are left when firing. I started by loading a round in the mag to give a start point, then stacking rounds on the outside of the mag as they would lay in the mag. I initially made the marks on the left side of the mags where the brass/metal portion would show but that lands it right in the middle of the support rib that runs inside along the back of the left/right sides to guide the rounds/follower. So, I transferred the marks to the rear of the mag, to the left of the molding seam in the center rear. I drilled out the marks with a 3/16 drill bit. I then checked the inside for any plastic flashing that would interfere with the rounds or follower. I had to shave off some flashing around some holes on the inside, I used a sharp dinner knife for that and chamfered the holes on the outside. Looks good so far. I have to wait for my bolt to come back from Pauly's to test it out, but they all manual unload from the mag by hand. If anyone wants measurements of the holes from the top (to use on SGM mags only, since others may be a little different) let me know. I was pretty spot on just eyeing them, you can see the primers through all of the holes.

Full mag:

post-35779-0-00071600-1314758803_thumb.jpg

5 rounds left:

post-35779-0-85996000-1314758829_thumb.jpg

Why not stager them like Glock mags or S&W mags.

Thus preserving the integrity of the body.

Or cut a window on the side. or one window on each side stager like.

I like mine whole and buy my MD drums with the "black" back since that's the same material the rest of the drum is made from.

I figure if it was meant to have round count holes they would come with them.

To each their own.

I would like to get some clear mags though I see some people posting with those and have a few of the blgies for my Chink polytech.

Who sells the clear S-12 mags?

Edited by armalite_ar50

I believe the staggering is for the double stack mags. That's a neat idea though and I might have to try it

ETA: Throw up a video of the mag emptying when you do get the bolt back. That would be cool to watch.

Edited by theturtlepond

Why not stager them...

Why not just keep count of how many you've fired.. If counting to (or backward from) 8 is hard, maybe you shouldn't be shooting a gun anyway..

Cause if the poopoo hits the fan at your house or something, you probably won't be going "1,2,3,4 OH SNAP another guy just went by my other window, 5, 6, Crap! Did he just shoot my dog? 7, 8, I better change mags now......"

I'd rather go BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM. Quick look down while repositioning in my hallway, 2 rounds left. BOOM, reload (saves from cycling bolt). Also, when the zombie apocalypse occurs, you may bust 3-4 zombie gourds and then not see any more for an hour or two. I'd like the ability to look down an hour later and see I have 4 left.......

:electric_shock::killer:

Interesting idea. Not sure how much that'll weaken the mag, but still cool.

I was going to get one of the clear SGM mags and paint everything except a small window on the side or back. Seemed like a good idea.

Interesting idea. Not sure how much that'll weaken the mag, but still cool.

I was going to get one of the clear SGM mags and paint everything except a small window on the side or back. Seemed like a good idea.

I think that is a pretty cool idea.