splitting handguard retainer question

Well,my handguard retainer idea using a laser mount I got from Cheaper than Dirt didn't really work so well.The barrel diameter gets smaller half way where the mount is so it doesn't grip as tight as it should.The recoil pushes the hanguard forward and the mount slips right off.

saiga_conversion_retainer.jpg

I would like to buy the retainer from K-var.How easy is it to split the retainer and bolt back on?For those of you that did this what tools did you use and how did you do it?

If anyone has one already modified I'll buy it.

Thanks.

I used a dremel with a cut off wheel. I made a vertical-slit from the top. On the bottom side, I did not cut all the way thru. I cut just far enough I could "spread" the retainer to slip over the FSB/Gasblock from the front.

I then used a hardened bolt ( T8? ) that I got at Ace hardware. It was just slightly larger diameter than the hole for the "retainer lever" of the retainer, so I could self-form threads in the retainer.

After testing it at the range, I filled the slit on the lower half with JB Weld. ( probably not needed, but figured what the hey )

Been working great, even with a bi-pod mounted to the handguard.