I been working up a pet load to cycle through my saiga 12. My thoughts are to establish a baseline load that will be strong enough to cycle the action, which is setup with the reduced power return springs. Since I'm handloading I have the option of really tuning the load for my gun. SO I set off to make up 9 pellet 00 buck at a very reduced power factor. Using an old MEC 600 jr. Modified the sizing station to cycle high brass hulls. Had to extend the decapping bolt by 1/2" to it will push the high brass back out of the sizer. I noticed all hulls are NOT alike and some do not want to take a full primer seat. So I had to tweak the priming ram with a shim to get full seat, depending on which hull I'm using. I'm picikng up range hulls and so the only issue there seems to be whether some hulls will crimp tightly. The ones that don't, I toss in the trash. I'm using Winchester primers, Win AA wads and HS6 powder. The smallest charge bar measure that came with the press was dropping a 30gr charge. The hulls were flying a good 8 ft out of the gun. I went to the lathe and turned out 2 charging measures, boring each hole incrementally smaller. One turned out to drop 25 grains and the other 20gr. The 20 gr would not cycle the action. The 25 gr produces a smooth shot with brisk ejection. I read up on the MEC jr and saw how the wad seating can be increased, so I added just a tad of seating pressure and everything seems to be cycling and shooting realiably. I'll probably only ever be shooting cardboard and metal plates at 3 gun matches. So with this in mind I think I have developed at great powder puff 00 target load. I hope to shoot at a 100 yd range this weekend and will see how the gun patterns at various distances. Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

Hello

I have to speak up here, I don't condone the shooting of ones' pets.

:lolol:

-guido

• 1 month later...

I been working up a pet load to cycle through my saiga 12. My thoughts are to establish a baseline load that will be strong enough to cycle the action, which is setup with the reduced power return springs. Since I'm handloading I have the option of really tuning the load for my gun. SO I set off to make up 9 pellet 00 buck at a very reduced power factor. Using an old MEC 600 jr. Modified the sizing station to cycle high brass hulls. Had to extend the decapping bolt by 1/2" to it will push the high brass back out of the sizer. I noticed all hulls are NOT alike and some do not want to take a full primer seat. So I had to tweak the priming ram with a shim to get full seat, depending on which hull I'm using. I'm picikng up range hulls and so the only issue there seems to be whether some hulls will crimp tightly. The ones that don't, I toss in the trash. I'm using Winchester primers, Win AA wads and HS6 powder. The smallest charge bar measure that came with the press was dropping a 30gr charge. The hulls were flying a good 8 ft out of the gun. I went to the lathe and turned out 2 charging measures, boring each hole incrementally smaller. One turned out to drop 25 grains and the other 20gr. The 20 gr would not cycle the action. The 25 gr produces a smooth shot with brisk ejection. I read up on the MEC jr and saw how the wad seating can be increased, so I added just a tad of seating pressure and everything seems to be cycling and shooting realiably. I'll probably only ever be shooting cardboard and metal plates at 3 gun matches. So with this in mind I think I have developed at great powder puff 00 target load. I hope to shoot at a 100 yd range this weekend and will see how the gun patterns at various distances. Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I highly recommend a means to check your pressures to load safely outside published data. We don't want you to wear your gun on your face.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

30 grains of HS6 behind an ounce of #8 shot works great in my S12. So too does 30 grains of HS5.

The only other reload I have tried is 18 grains of Bullseye behind an ounce of #8 shot. It failed to reliably eject.

I would be interested to see if anyone has a Bullseye, Red Dot, or Herco load that works well in the S12.