My prediction for the future of the bumpfire stock...

as far as the recoil impulse from a .22LR is concerned i got one word for you a "swaging barrel".....if anyone here even knows what i am talking about i will be highly impressed....doing a google search will most likely not yield any material on this subject as it is a little known process....but in a nut shell it will increase the velocity and the recoil of a standard .22LR...i am up to my eyeballs in something til May of this year, if no one has run with the idea of producing a turn key bumpfire 10/22 rifle i may run with it...and a swaging barrel will be part of the design....;)

Man, you really are a pompous asshole.

He 'predicted' you were gonna say that. :)

• Like 1
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

#3 Bill Akins sues Slide Fire for patent infringment.   Tony

if you knew shit you would know that getting an SOT is as easy as putting a check in the mail...getting the FFL 07 first was the hard part....hey smart guy the NFA 34 is what started the whole thing r

OMG!...ive been slammed with negative reputation votes....

as far as the recoil impulse from a .22LR is concerned i got one word for you a "swaging barrel".....if anyone here even knows what i am talking about i will be highly impressed....doing a google search will most likely not yield any material on this subject as it is a little known process....but in a nut shell it will increase the velocity and the recoil of a standard .22LR...i am up to my eyeballs in something til May of this year, if no one has run with the idea of producing a turn key bumpfire 10/22 rifle i may run with it...and a swaging barrel will be part of the design....;)

Man, you really are a pompous asshole.

that statement was not meant to be arrogant...i did not even know such a thing existed until last year....the idea is from the 70's or 80's, can't remember, it never got much attention from what i could tell...i imagine that the idea is so old and never found a niche that there probably is not any info on the subject on the internet...

Anyone ever heard of it?

Edited by ckrockets

Swaging barrel. Being a barrel that reduces in diameter to increase constriction. I beleive they tried that in several large bore cannon as a way to increase muzzle velocity (1800s if I recall correctly). Its basically like shooting overbore ammo, it increases the pressures a lot.

My thoughts on swagging barrels is that they will have more pressure variations as additional constriction will affect each alloy of lead differently.. But I've never made one, so I can't say for sure.

PS. Swaging Barrel is two words. :haha:

(sorry for the multiple edits, brain is running slow right now).

• Like 3

Swaging barrel. Being a barrel that reduces in diameter to increase constriction. I beleive they tried that in several large bore cannon as a way to increase muzzle velocity (1800s if I recall correctly). Its basically like shooting overbore ammo, it increases the pressures a lot.

PS. Swaging Barrel is two words. :haha:

BINGO! ;) I always took you for a knowledgeable person...:)

Did you know someone tried it with the .22LR?

Edited by ckrockets

No I don't know of anyone that tried it in a rifle. But I am aware of hardness variations that exist in commercial .22 ammo. Its just a variation that you would need to factor for.

I did something like that in a cloud gun (air powered BB machine gun). Over bored 'chamber', then constricted near muzzle to get the velocity up.

• Like 1

No I don't know of anyone that tried it in a rifle. But I am aware of hardness variations that exist in commercial .22 ammo. Its just a variation that you would need to factor for.

I did something like that in a cloud gun (air powered BB machine gun). Over bored 'chamber', then constricted near muzzle to get the velocity up.

you're definitely right about the differences in Brinell hardness from batch to batch....

I'll see if I can find the article, scan it and post it to this thread....he got some really interesting results from .22LR.....

Edited by ckrockets
  • Like 1

im not familiar with the term swaging barrel. can you explain exactly how it works?

so basically what happens is the bore diameter starts out normal and gradually decreases as it reaches the muzzle...this has the affect of swaging the lead bullet down to a smaller caliber as is it travels down the barrel....which increases the pressure of the hot expanding gasses behind the bullet which in turn increases the velocity of the projectile...

don't hold me to these numbers their fictitious it's just so u have an idea of what i am talking about...

if same ammo was used for the below two examples...

normal 22LR barrel: solid lead 40gr bullet leaves barrel at 1250fps with a diameter of .2170"

swaging 22LR barrel: solid lead 40gr bullet leaves barrel at 1600fps with a diameter of .1680" (these are the fictitious numbers but you get the point)

Edited by ckrockets
  • Like 1

im not familiar with the term swaging barrel. can you explain exactly how it works?

so basically what happens is the bore diameter starts out normal and gradually decreases as it reaches the muzzle...this has the affect of swaging the lead bullet down to a smaller caliber as is it travels down the barrel....which increases the pressure of the hot expanding gasses behind the bullet which in turn increases the velocity of the projectile...

don't hold me to these numbers their fictitious it's just so u have an idea of what i am talking about...

if same ammo was used for the below two examples...

normal 22LR barrel: solid lead 40gr bullet leaves barrel at 1250fps with a diameter of .2170"

swaging 22LR barrel: solid lead 40gr bullet leaves barrel at 1600fps with a diameter of .1680" (these are the fictitious numbers but you get the point)

yea that makes sense. see, im not a gunsmith, but i have been studying physics for awhile.

i would think it would be pretty important to not have the barrel decrease significantly in diameter. it can be pretty ugly if the projectile gets stuck in the barrel.

• Like 1

All you guys are forgetting a few things. #1 - they can ban the use of lead in bullets, making ammo prohibitively expensive for the average joe. #2 - they can go back to the Clinton days and ban high capacity magazines....

Ammo really really expensive or no way to effectively dump countless rounts down-range = bumpfire that's worthless.

Does anyone know if these are legal in Cook county IL? I've looked through a sites (including vendors), called a few local local gun shops and asked around. The collective answer - idunno. Most shops don't want to carry it because they feel it will "potentially attract unwanted attention" I don't care so much about that as a potential for the BAtf to take them. One of the shops I talked to mentioned the gsg 22 with the faux silencer that recalled/stopped by the batf after a "reevalation" of the ruling. It seems sadly likely that these will suffer the same fate. My question is- is something like this possible? i'm still fairly new to the firearms hobby but this is just one piece of badassery i just can't pass up on. ( for the record i want 2 for a pair of s&w m&p 22's for me and the wife). but i hate to drop 600+ and then be told no no

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I got my cmmg 22lr bolt a month ago. It doesn't have enough recoil to cycle. So while it may work on the little 22 ARs, it didn't work on mine.

Actually I just had an idea. It is possible that the buffer spring is taking some of my recoil. So maybe if I remove it before hand, or pin it back it may have enough recoil to work.

I know this probably should go on the ar15 forums but, any thoughts?

Patents only protect very specific designs unfortunately, so even though Slide Fire did copy the idea off previous attempts, they did not duplicate it, they changed it enough to be considered a variant. like why Mike didn't get to sue promag for their md-20 copy.

And in fairness, Mike's design was a fairly straightforward copy of another 12-gauge drum design, modified for use with a Saiga-12. Innovation generally involves the use and adaptation of others' ideas for new or slightly different purposes. These slide fire stocks are not simply the Akins Accelerator less the springs.

Yeah I think I know where they got the idea for the stock. Same concept? :haha:

I think the product is a legal nightmare. Just imagine the next big school shooting happens, with your bumpfire stock.

You can't wiggle out that your making hunting and sporting products with this thing. Its only function is to puke lead faster than anything else civilian legal.

IMG_4945.jpg

Needs that thing that goes up.

:lolol: keep those negative reputation votes coming viados....this place is as bad as barfcom.....wacko.gif

Thanks to all those that positively contributed to this thread that I started....smile.gif

I think scenario 2 could lead to a drop in registered full auto prices.... and I like that.

• Like 1