South African NATO surplus

Anyone used the SA NATO surplus in a S308?

Its hard to find and know the M1A guys swear by it but wondering how it performs in a Saiga before shelling out for the stuff.

Normally use the German MEN but its getting tougher to get also.

Thanks in advance.

I have run a few battle packs through my Saiga without any problems. Some have complained about the tar sealant on the primers, but I never had any problems with it. Its decent ammo, nothing great. It used to be very cheap, but like all surplus ammo, it drys up. You used to be able to buy it and Portugese ammo for $150 per 1K.

• Like 1

R1M1 headstamp SA stuff is good to go. I have about six battlepacks with a $32 pricetag still on them, ahhhh the good ole days of .22 cents a round.

No chit it was the good old days.

Thanks all for the feedback think I will let the M1 guys have it and stick with the MEN while it lasts.

Some Malaysian out there also but never ran it.

I bought many, many battlepacks of SA 308(@$.18 per round) and while it is not the ideal ammo for my S308 it can turn in 2.50-1.75 five shot groups. I have never had a misfire or primer issue with this ammo in several thousand rounds in FALs, M1As or my Saiga.