storing steel mags

I like to store my AK 74 polymer mags in surplus mag pouches in order to keep them organized. Can steel mags be stored in this manner? I've heard before that storing guns in soft cases was bad because the cases would sap the oil, with the eventual result of rust; wouldn't this also be the case for steel mags in canvas pouches? How do you guys go about storing steel mags, apart from just stacking them?

I like to store my AK 74 polymer mags in surplus mag pouches in order to keep them organized. Can steel mags be stored in this manner? I've heard before that storing guns in soft cases was bad because the cases would sap the oil, with the eventual result of rust; wouldn't this also be the case for steel mags in canvas pouches? How do you guys go about storing steel mags, apart from just stacking them?

That can occur with foam linings in direct contact with steel. You could just plastic bag each mag individually and then store it in a surplus mag pouch.

A light coat of wax on the blued or parked mag outer surfaces will also be extra insurance against rust.

I store my short term storage mags lightly greased on the outside in plastic utility bins away from any foam. Painted ones are already protected and wouldn't need anything else.

Edited by my762buzz
  • Like 1

heck, I have been storing all my steel mags in a east bloc country weapons crate in the basement, for the last 15 years. I didn't do anything special to them or wiped them down with oil etc.., and not one of them has rust on it. I think that sometimes people get way over cautious when there is no need to.

the only mags that have rust on them, is my chinese 10 rounders. that is only because I put them in a plastic bag and put them in the garage and they sat there for years, until I accidently found them when I was moving stuff in my garage. I didn't even bother cleaning the rust from them, I just stuck it in my crate.

post-22408-0-44813800-1315277871_thumb.jpg

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

heck, I have been storing all my steel mags in a east bloc country weapons crate in the basement, for the last 15 years. I didn't do anything special to them or wiped them down with oil etc.., and not one of them has rust on it. I think that sometimes people get way over cautious when there is no need to.

the only mags that have rust on them, is my chinese 10 rounders. that is only because I put them in a plastic bag and put them in the garage and they sat there for years, until I accidently found them when I was moving stuff in my garage. I didn't even bother cleaning the rust from them, I just stuck it in my crate.

When the SHTF, this dude is ready. Sweet jesus, Im jealous.

I put on a rubber glove and give a light coat of Tetra grease, to all my mags and my steel case ammo inside them. It seems to hold up well in my bulgarian 4pocket mag pouches.