So I've had my Saiga 7.62 for a month or 2, and I decided that my next addition will be a red dot ( I don't do much shooting past 150-200 yards) in the $300-400 range. I've been reading this forum and have heard great things about combloc optics, in particular the PK-AS and Rakurs A. However I noticed most of these are mounted on 5.45's, and I started to wonder: is there a good reason many do not put red dots on 7.62 rifles?

ok disclaimer before I even open my mouth here... I'm no optics expert, I'm no russian expert, I'm no AK or Saiga expert, but... I've done a fair amount of research in the last 2 weeks on optics specifically in reguards to the 7.62 AK platform and if it helps..... heres what I THINK I know

all the new optics avaliable, the red dots, the tritnums, the everything with electronics that need to be updated in style on occasion or remanufactured due to tritnum shelf life are being produced for the 5.45 as that is what is current issue for the commies now days...

For them to continue to produce 7.62 optics would be akin to the US manufacturers for GVT contracts still makeing optics for the 30 carbine. its just not current production stuff and thus not being kept up with.

from what I understand as well.... the PK-AS and the Rakurs both are made for the 5.45 but specifically designated for that round ( and this is where I get fuzzy ) due to built in bullet drop compensaters pre adjusted for the drop of the 5.45

this does not mean they cant be used with the 7.62, it just means they wernt MADE for the 7.62 and once zeroed your zero will hold true for the firearm its zeroed for... be that 5.45 or 7.62.

The reticles that have hold over marks for extended range though, will not be spot on for the 7.62,and the data cards that come with the scopes to show correction for drop at range will be off as well as the 7.62 drops faster than the 5.45 and the scope is calibrated for 5.45

now... this is where preferance comes into play.

7.62 is a GREAT round for about 200, 300 meters max... after that your looking at 21+ inches in drop

given the expected range of the round, a 100 meter zero will hold center mass from point blank to 200ish and still be effective as long as your worried about shooting minut of center mass and not minut of eyeball, but to me... thats what the round and any weapon designed to shoot it is for.

if you wanna get tighter than that, grab a PSL instead of an AK and run the 4x scope on it and dial in your dope.

hope I havent confused you more than you started out being, and hope i'm not giveing you info that is just plain wrong cause if i am LOL... that means I have it wrong in my head and my last 3 weeks of research on 7.62 optics has REALLY been wasted

long story short... if you want an optic to just make snap shots with, eithor should work fine once zeroed on your firearm, your not gonna be dialing in a bunch of adjustments inside of 300 anyway. but if your wanting to group tight on paper your gonna have to spend some time at the range, blow some ammo, and work up your own dope sheet for the scope to correct the settings for 5.45 to 7.62

or I could just be wrong wrong wrong... someone who knows better should be along soon to set ya straight if thats the case

Optics such as RDS on AK rifles are great tools.

Ultra quick target acquisition and accuracy with both eyes open, wider field of view and in the better optics, parallax free aiming past +/-50 yards on average.

No wonder so many people put them on both 7.62 & 5.45... Yeah, I said so many people put them on 7.62, I see'em all over the place. ;) No clue as to why you don't.

Datrowl pretty much nailed the reasons for newer optics being primarily designed for 5.45.

Now what I see on both the 7.62 & 5.45AK is primarily new US manufacture RDS, e.g.Aimpoint Micro and clones, and various reflex style RDS.

These are increasingly being offered with new low profile mounting systems that co-witness the optic and iron sights.

I don't see alot of Russian manufacture RDS, unlike Russian manufacture 'Scopes', which I see a lot of on AK rifles.

I personally don't care for Russian optics of either style, as they're IMO big & bulky, sit too high or off center and I don't care for side mounts.

I plan on RDS for my 7.62 AK, just don't haven't made the funds a priority.

In the mean time, I like showing the non-believers at my favorite range, that the AK with iron sights is a accurate main battle rifle and good to go out to 300 yards on man size targets.

I love watching their expression when I ring the steel human silhouettes at 100, 200 & 300 in quick succession with iron sights.