Removing scope rail from Saiga12

I want to remove the scope rail from my Saiga 12.Pretty useless to have on a shotgun.My question is,do you think its critical as far as adding strength and rigidity to the receiver?I wouldn't be worried with any other AK,but with the 12 gauge it seems like it asking alot of that sheet metal receiver.Thanks

If you do remove it, have a way to re-rivet the rear mount rivet be it modified bolt cutters or a real rivet tool.

Don't try a screw or half-ass weld to the stud of the remaining section of rivet, just do it right & you'll have no issues.

As for decrease in strength, there'll be none.

The force is tensile on the receiver & you're thinking about the benefit that the mount would have if it were subject to compression forces.

Good luck on your project. :up:

• Like 2

Accualy you can leave enough of the rear rivet(the one pauly is talking about in the rear trunion) in to simply peen the end over with a small hammer.

Once the front one is out completly, grind the head off the rear one, and pry the mount off. that should leave you enough of a stub to peen. It did on my Digital S-12 with the polish safety.

If you do remove it, have a way to re-rivet the rear mount rivet be it modified bolt cutters or a real rivet tool.

Don't try a screw or half-ass weld to the stud of the remaining section of rivet, just do it right & you'll have no issues.

As for decrease in strength, there'll be none.

The force is tensile on the receiver & you're thinking about the benefit that the mount would have if it were subject to compression forces.

Good luck on your project. :up:

Very well stated.

• Like 1

Don't take it off.

You will reduce the monetary value of your gun by doing so.

It is designed to have a scope rail, and can be used with a red dot sight.

It will leave you with holes in the side of your reciever you will have to plug up.