What does it take to modify an HK (cheap) magazine

At least one person has modified an HK magazine to work with a Saiga 308:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=80&t=73327

These are inexpensive magazines so what does it take to make them work? This guy, Rick 16 I have been told, says that the modifications are easy once you know what to do.

And how come someone isn't producing modified HK mags for the market rather than have all of us wait for molded magazine to appear if they ever will?

At least one person has modified an HK magazine to work with a Saiga 308:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=80&t=73327

These are inexpensive magazines so what does it take to make them work? This guy, Rick 16 I have been told, says that the modifications are easy once you know what to do.

And how come someone isn't producing modified HK mags for the market rather than have all of us wait for molded magazine to appear if they ever will?

Yep thats my Saiga 308/ HK-91 mag conv.I can tell you how to do it but please call me PM me for PH #.PS We went out and made some videos of the Saiga 308 Hk-91 CONV in action.Rick :killer::dollar:

Edited by rick-16

That's a whole new can of worms. It depends

a.) What parts of the gun you are willing to cut

b.) What you're willing to add to the gun

c.) What you're willing to do to each and every mag

Rick-16's conversion involves mods to both the gun and the mags, and requires steel mags due to welding of attachments. The mags insert and remove the same way as before. I believe, if I remember correctly, that the bolt, receiver, and trunion all involve some modification. He reports excellent reliability. All his work that I have seen is excellent. I own a small piece of it (a flash hider).

My conversion does not touch the bolt or trunion, which sustain the force of the round firing, only the receiver and receiver post. The post must be removed, and the receiver opened up to accept the mag at a farther rearward position. A magazine adaptor must then be installed to guide and retain the G3 magazine. The mags are inserted, retained, and released like on a G3. Each magazine must be relieved on each side toward the front. Any magazine will work, including the cheapest aluminum ones. They will still work in a G3, because I developed this conversion during the now expired AW ban, and any modified mag had to still work in the original gun in order not to be considered a new mag. The skill required to install this is much less than what I'd expect from someone modifying critical parts of the gun. If you can do a standard Saiga conversion to pistol grip and new FCG, I believe that with additional care you can do this modification too. I have not sent thousands of rounds downrange as Rick-16 has, but I have emptied entire mags from it without error.

I will be releasing an updated version of the adaptor very soon.

I have a bunch of HK mags but I would rather save them for my CETME and FA91.

One brother is a boss at a large machine shop and worked in an arsenal in the

Marines, the other is an engineer at Alcoa Aluminum. They were the smart ones,

I went to school for industrial lab tech and ended up making plywood glue (sniff sniff) so I have an excuse for the brain damage?

I don't want to get anything started but I bet they could make something work with the cheap HK mags or something. I just keep expecting to see the new mags

on the market soon.

There's the simple fact that the Saiga 308 has certain parts in certain places that simply can't be moved. You can only cut so far before you're cutting into a critical system.

Folks with access to machine tools could more easily make a new gun than make unmodified G3 mags work in a Saiga without mods to critical parts. The thing with critical parts is that there's a line that must not be crossed when modifying them.

So far NOT ONE PERSON has been able to fit unmodified G3 mags in a Saiga 308 without modifying the trunion. And only ONE person has fit ANY G3 mags in a Saiga-308 without modding the trunion - me. I had to mod the receiver instead. And the mags slightly.

If you want to go the heavily modified G3 mag route, they're cheap enough that you can get enough for your S-308 AND your G3/CETME. You can talk about saving them, but isn't this what cheap mags are good for? You can't make mags for that price.

Regarding S-308 hi-caps, I have them on the drawing board. No promises. We all know what happens when people make promises of Saiga 308 hi-caps...

Yup, I know about promises :cryss:

I'm not sure if anyone can sell me more G3 mags or any other hi cap

mags here in Kalif I mean New York.

My brother at Alcoa Aluminum is a problem solver. I was only wondering if he could duplicate a Saiga mag from aluminum but you still have the to come up with floor plates, springs and followers. Just wishful thinkin.

Edited by Trailblazer

Your right, mine fits nice but it would require the front feed lips to be moved to the rear. I don't have any spare Ishapore mags to cut up or

a source for cheap aftermarket mags.

I'm willing to see what BattleRifleG3 comes up with, he's been at this sort of thing for a while.

Mike.

I was under the impression that the law that a mag can't be modified to an extant that it no longer functions in the original gun is still illeagle. Opinions from those who may understand the leagle jargon better? Of course it all may be moot very soon. The new version of

"the patriot act" basically suspends the constitution. I urge everyone to look into it, we didn't hear any details from the media, but i found out some of it last night, and it is scary guys. Get your supplies in order, because Bush has been given the power to declare martial law, and the goverment to take over control of all communications, power, fuel, food, etc. , if there is a terrorist threat. Congress can't even question the decision for 6 months. Not to mention no search warrents, unlimited phone taps, the ability to aprehend and hold without representation or any other rights, "suspected terrorists". This morning a radio station out of chicago reported police will now be taught to shoot to kill with headshots suspected terrorists. Patriot act two, defines suspected terrorists as anyone with a crimanal record. Anyone got a traffic ticket? You crimanals! Scary stuff guys, look into it.

A hi cap magazine only had to work in the original gun during the now expired assault weapon ban. Drastic mods to any hi-cap mag are now legal. The mod to an M14 mag was pretty dang drastic and in my opinion it's easier to do one mod to the gun and minor mods on the mags than a drastic mod on every mag.

But that's me.

I modified M14 mags to work in S308 all mods done the to mag none done to the rifle. They worked good but good M14 mags cost $25-$40 each.

saigaw-mt2.jpg

I got tired of paying that kind of money for M14 mags so I did mods on my S308 so I could use the cheap $2 G3 mags that are out there. This is what my S308 looks like after the mods.

P1020272.jpg

It works alot better now and I am loving the $2 mags.

BOB G

Edited by BOB G

If you do want .308 high capicity and cheap magazines, the CETME/G-3 or a fal, are the way to go. The two dollar mags for g-3 and five dollar mags for a fal are nice, but I didn't get the Saiga for high cap mags, though it would be nice. I got it complment my other .308 guns.(I am the only one on my block with one in .308)

P.S. Not to say I wouldn't welcome a high cap mag for it, or even reasonably priced eight or ten round mags for it.