Wooden Furniture?

Hello everyone. I'm wondering if anyone makes wood furniture that will fit the S12? I'm interested in blonde, red, and any other nicely stained wood. I've found some vendors but they all say they're made for AK 'XX', so I'm unsure if they will actually fit the S12.

Thanks for any help.

Hello everyone. I'm wondering if anyone makes wood furniture that will fit the S12? I'm interested in blonde, red, and any other nicely stained wood. I've found some vendors but they all say they're made for AK 'XX', so I'm unsure if they will actually fit the S12.

Thanks for any help.

I've considered wooden furniture too. I actually think it makes a converted Saiga 12 look more "AK like" and potentially more "sporting" as well.

From what I have read- the but stock and pistol grip will adapt just fine. The hand guard needs some massaging to get it to fit. I'm sure someone who has done this will chime in.

Putting wood furniture on an S-12 to make it look like a classic AK,was the very first thing I set out to do when I got my first S-12 in ' 05. It seemed like a no brainer to me... something that would obviously improve the weapon's looks and handling. Even with poly AK furniture, they look much, and feel much better than all other configurations IMO. Sure there are lots of folks who like all that tacticool this or that hanging off their guns, and I have played around with a couple of mine just to explore that side of things, but my preference has ALWAYS been classic AK styling and particularly wood over poly.

http://forum.saiga-1...ersion-details/

post-1293-0-41805300-1315403475_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-91945000-1315403512_thumb.jpg

More modern poly AK style, using some after market bolt on parts...but custom modified to look better.

post-1293-0-92394400-1315403550_thumb.jpg

When I first had the idea to put AK furniture on an S-12, and built mine in ' 05, There were no others to use for a model, and no parts were available for such a thing. I also wasn't as experienced with the way the shotguns could be completely disassembled. I didn't know then, how easy it is to remove the gas block, so the only option I saw right then, for putting AK HG retainers on an S-12 or S-20, was to fabricate something that could be adapted to the much larger barrel, and added to the existing gas tube. I wanted it ALL AK and I wanted it right then, so I went right to work cutting up AK rifle parts and making them fit the shotgun. Only way to do that (that came to mind at the time...) was to 'weld' them to the barrel, gas block, and gas tube, with the only means I had at the time. I used JB Weld and it did exactly what I needed it to do, it held steel to steel and kept it firmly in place, without using ANY heat. This was imperative with the way I assembled everything with the wood going on like it had to....before the front lower retainer, and the rear upper retainer. Later on, I took it a step further, and cut/ ground the bottom portion out of an AK RSB, and JB'd it to the rear of the gas tube as well...completing the aesthetic and functional AK clone I was after. I had already had a front AK sight cut and fabricated with a larger barrel hoop, to press onto my barrel and allow me to use the detent for brakes / hiders, and give me the ability to use the sights over the wood upper HG, which otherwise sits too high to use the factory S-12 sights. I'm perfectly happy with the way it all turned out, and even though I've had to listen to shit from very few people about the JB Weld, like I said, it was the ONLY way to achieve what I was trying to do, without removing the gas block, or burning the shit out of that beautiful Bulgarian blonde wood. It lasted for over 5 years too, before finally cracking loose around the lower HG / gas block bond, and even then only on one side. My HG is still very tight, it's just the sling loop side that came loose a little...most likely from all the carrying on the shoulder to and from the range, and at gun shows. Now that I have the capability and know how to do it better, I'll soon be pulling the gas block off it for the first time, and have the upper and lower retainers tig welded back where I put them to begin with. The gas tube will likely stay as is, and just have a couple of spots tigged for reinforcement where I attached the RSB. There are other, easier to install, "bolt on" lower HG retainers on the market, designed and built by Brian of Dinzag Arms, and even copied by others.... The beauty of the way I made mine though, is it allows me to put a cleaning rod through it, just like the AK rifles. My custom bayo lug keeps it in place at the front.

To answer the OP's question directly, yes...there are some vendors who can and do make wood AK furniture that will go right on the larger S-12 barrel, assuming you have the means to keep them there. Dinzag sells it, and has a new system now of attaching it. See his website for details. Matt at Ironwood Designs, also sells readily mountable AK wood, and makes it himself, so it counts toward 922r compliance.

I can also take anyone's existing AK furniture, (wood or poly, bakelite, etc), and fit it to the S-12 or S-20, just PM me for details if you are interested. I also do refinishing on AK wood, and have everything to re-create a TRUE Russian Red on Russian or even Romy, Polish, etc... laminate wood. I can also do red or blonde on the Bulgy or other solid wood furniture, for regular rifle use, or modify it to fit an S-12.

The lower hand guard is easy to do yourself! Just get a run of the mill ak47 lower hand guard, wrap some sandpaper around a broomstick,and go to town sanding out the inside of the hand guard. The back of the hand guard that fits in the receiver will need a little taken off the top to fit the saiga receiver. The hand guard retainer can be made from a standard AK hand guard retainer thats been dremeled out to fit the barrel, but you will need to weld a tab with a hole on the front of it to mount it in the hand guard retaining screw hole. also Dinzag sells this part already made. AK wood grips will fit a converted saiga, but you will need the longer grip screw,and a nut that fits. The top hand guard is a pain! Cadzid sells it already done, but you will need their sight block because you wont be able to see the front bead with the rear sight that comes factory. I just used a cobra type gas tube cover with the holes in it. Looks fine, and you can wrap your hands around it. A standard AK butt-stock will fit a converted gun without issue if you want the all out wood hardware. DIY and save a ton of money, or Dinzag and ironwood designs have pre-made parts to put it together. Good luck!

xacex

post-33284-0-58051700-1315588227_thumb.jpg