I fucked up this afternoon...

I got the stuff today to trim to length a bunch of 458 SOCOM brass I had laying about... NONE of it was oversized! :up: Gotta love THAT!!! Although now I wonder if I WASTED the cash on the case trimmer for that caliber... Probably. But its one of those things... at least ya GOT IT if you EVER need it...

So, I figured why not load it all up... got nothing better to do... so I think to myself... "I bought a whole brick of large rifle magnum match primers a while back... yuppers... there they are... ^_^ I MUST have gotten them for the 458 SOCOM... WHAT ELSE would they be for!?!? -_- "

I load up the handi-prime priming tray with a bunch... had about 25 cases to load.

I start priming the cases and I notice they primers are sitting a little proud... :huh: I know thats not right... I am thinking "flush or slightly below if anything." so whats the NEXT STEP!?!?! well, run the cases on the case mate prep center to ream the primer pocket depth to proper depth for a large rifle primer... :up:

After doing about 12 or 13 cases I am thinking to myself... "I cant imagine the force of shooting blowing out the primer pocket THAT badly... very ODD... Hmm... "

At this point my brain decides it wants to get back into the PROPER GEAR... and I think to myself... " I have NEVER needed to ream a 458 SOCOM pocket... why would I now?!?!?! OOOOOHHHHH FUCK!!!!!!! LARGE PISTOL MAGNUM PRIMERS!!!!!!!" What the fuck am I DOING?!?!?!?!?!? :blink::unsure::blink:

But wait... There's more... It gets BETTER!!! :lol:

Well, at the VERY least I have to DEPRIME the cases I already inserted a LRM primer into... and of COURSE there oughtta be JUST enough lube left in the sizing die to JUUUUUST pop a case in till the primer pops out and I catch it in the priming tool... I get the primer box out, open it up... and return the unused primers to the box, and then I get ready to deprime the cases, planning to return THOSE primers to the box too... First case... "POINK" out pops the primer... I remove the brass... NO PROBLEM... ( Ya ready for it?? ) Second case... "POINK" out pops the primer, I lift the ram handle... and dont ya know it... the rim tears off the case... FUCK!!!!! :o:evil::o

I take the die apart... the primer punch pulls right out... I go get a large phillips screwdriver to bang the stuck case out with... I stick it in the die... start hammering with a 3 pound mallet... I have primers EVERYWHERE!!!! the open box decides to bounce around... primers flying off the bench... wrenches falling on the floor...HOLY FUCK!!! CHAOS!!!!! So now I gotta stop... spend ten minutes picking shit up... SEARCHING for all the primers on the floor... STILL missing one out of about a dozen that jumped into oblivion...

I went and got a long bolt... put the loose items away and two good whacks later... the bad case was FREE... and the die reassembled...

SO... now I have about 6 rounds with the pockets reamed and a large rifle magnum primer in it... Cause I didnt bother to remove them at this point... and about 6 cases with the pockets reamed for large rifle with a large pistol magnum primer in them... seated LOW...

With all that story told... how bad is it to fire those first 6 rounds with a rifle primer in them??? and should I just bite the bullet so to speak, and eat the 10 bucks worth of brass and CHUCK THEM as they have rifle depth primer pockets in them now?!?!!?

I marked all the cases that have the wrong primers in them, so there is no mistake which THOSE are, and the ones with the deep pockets are marked specifically as well... All rounds have 33 grains Winchester 296 powder in them. Hornady 325 grain FTX bullets seated to cannelure.

What do yall think?? Not so much THINK... but what do you KNOW?!?!?! BAD?? IFFY???

I have been reloading for YEARS... and it takes one brain fart to FUCK UP like a rookie... go figure. Thats what I get for NOT looking at any manual and just "going by memory" for the .458 SOCOM load... :(

Go ahead... laugh... I think its funny in retrospect... although irritating... ( insert facepalm smiley here )

:smoke:

Despite popular belief, the rifle and pistol primers have the same priming compound in them. The rifle ones are not "hotter" than the pistol primers. Only the cups are thicker on the rifle. The only reason the .458 SOCOM brass has pistol primer pockets, is that the original protype cases were made by Starline on their 50AE line, then moved to their 44 Auto Mag line to cut the rebated rims.

As for the web being thinner at the base of the primer pocket now.......well, I don't know on that one.

Tony

Ok, thanks for the info, Tony... I will do some "spec-ing" on some empties and see what they mic out to be. Sounds like I will be OK to shoot them... and keep them marked for future reference... but not on the priority "to load" list... :up:

Thanks again!

For 10 bucks I would have just shit-canned them, not said anything about it, and maintained the illusion that I'm a Goddamned genius. :smoke:

True that... but even us certified "Goddamned Geniuses" fuck up now and again... :lol::up: If we never fucked up... we would be able to claim Demi-god status... and thats not really hip... so... :unsure: HAHAHAHA!!!

Plus I figured it would give someone a chuckle at the wide open, deep bin of chaos that I jumped into, blindfolded, head first!!! LOL :lol:

( And maybe help with a lesson for someone else down the road... :up: )

For 10 bucks I would have just shit-canned them, not said anything about it, and maintained the illusion that I'm a Goddamned genius. :smoke:

:lolol::lolol::lolol: Now that's funny!

I think everyone who reloads has been there at least once. Or more.

Ain't that the truth.

:lolol::lolol::lolol: Now that's funny!

I think everyone who reloads has been there at least once. Or more.

Ain't that the truth.

Ain't that the truth. Been there done that. :angel:

Then turned it around and loaded 39 rounds of 50 BMG... all went super smoothly. 220 grains of WC 860 trickled to perfection. 647 grain API silver tips seated to cannelure. Each case sized prior to loading. Primer seating adjusted so that arsenal primers are seated beautifully... no crushing, no deep seating. Got them just under flush and perfect. They all look perfect. Got a hundred 308's to load up tomorrow. Not sure yet what flavor to make.

Amen to that packrat... cockyness and complacency have no business in the reloading room. I got a little complacent and careless thinking I KNEW what primers to use... and had my shit handed back to me. Thankfully it was not as serious as it could have been and was caught before it got way too far!

• 4 weeks later...