66 members have voted

1. 1. Do you give?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I vote yes. I willingly give them all one way rides to our county hotel. The vast majority of the ones that I make contact with are not homeless and travel in big groups that drop each other off at va

I don't give handouts. I give opportunities. If someone wants money, and I can get them work, I will.   TANSTAAFL    

We all give to beggars. It's called taxes.

Posted Images

It simply depends. I remember once around Christmas when my daughter was small, I told her to turn around and look out of the back window of the truck. I stopped and then placed an envelope with a $20.00 bill into a gentleman's tin can. About 15 seconds later, the guy went sky high. Other cars in traffic must have thought the guy was on fire or stepped in fire ants. I did it as a lesson to my daughter.

Yakdung

No.

I've been burned too many times.... See the same guy in the same parking lot week after week asking for "gas money".

I also refuse to support able bodied people that aren't willing to go to where the day-laborors hang out (read illegals) and actually work for a day's pay.

If you give most of these beggars food in lieu of money they will throw it away. Thus, they are not needy.

I tend to give them things they'd need, like half a pack of newports with 4 dollar bills stuffed in it thrown out the window at a stop light. But then again, those aren't really beggars, just people I can tell are in need. At the walmart near Hartford there was this vet that used to stand by the exit every day during the winter so on Christmas I gave him a $50 (had felt good, just got a G bonus from work, ended up quitting/getting fired 4 months later, maybe stupid in retrospect?).

While shopping at Marshall's (by shopping I mean sitting outside waiting for somebody) I saw this guy that was blind in an eye going through the trashes, gave him a holler and gave him my last smoke. He didn't seem to think much of it and ended up going through the ashtray next to me to get more butts (herps anybody?).

I'm really in no financial position to be giving as I am unemployed right now but I can't help myself. I will never mail money into an organization that probably keeps 80% of it but I do end up sneaking a $20 in the can for a Veterans Day poppy instead of a dollar and donate all my old clothes.

I'm not really religious but I know most of you believe this is a Christian country and I was raised that way, isn't 10% of your earnings supposed to go to something charitable?

NO and I tell them "WHAT THE FUCK DO I LOOK LIKE A ATM?"

If they are playing music or busking then yes I do as they are working for their money.

I preform magic on the side ( paid shows) but would have no problem tying balloon animals and preforming magic in a city park if I needed to eat.

There is a BIG difference between asking for money and doing something for a tip in a bucket.

BTW Pauly

I beg you to do my carrier and bolt. Will you do it for free I spend so much money on my NFA stuff I just can't afford your 100% quality work. So since I am begging will you?

See what I mean?

By no way meant as a slam. but just a " I like what you have" and am begging for it free of charge. ( same as asking for money) they like the money you have but will do nothing for it.

As far as I'm concerned the "entitlement crowd" needs realize what I have IS not a right to them. It's MINE go earn your own.

So again wash my windshield @ a redlight or show me a trick play a song. yer good for a few bucks. ask for it?

WTF do I look like a ATM?

Edited by armalite_ar50
  • Like 1

No, not because some of them aren't worthy and truly in need but many of them aren't. Seen too many scams in person and documentaries of bums with places to live and even cars that I'm jaded.

I have a neighbor that lives across the street, she can barely make it down her own stairs or complete a sentence due to physical difficulties but she makes it work every day and comes home with a paycheck on her own terms.

What I will do is give food to beggars, if they refuse a half-eaten bag of fries then they really aren't in need.

I can't vote, because it's not a simple "Yes" or "No" for me. While I have given money before, I don't do it all the time.

The times I've done it, it was because "something" made me do it. Gut feeling, etc, etc. There's a guy who sits at the entrance to a Walmart parking lot down here with a sign about whatever his plight is. I've never taken the time to read it, but it's awkward when you happen to be the car sitting directly next to him, about 4' away, waiting to pull out.

My girl and I stopped into a Wendys right near there before, for a quick bite to eat before we headed to the airport (fuck airport food prices! :lolol: ). I shit you not, the same guy was in there eating, and we watched him pull a STACK of bills out of his wallet. No idea how much it was, but even if it was all $1 bills......it was a still a nice stack. Even more so if it was only from that day.

It's too situational for me, which like I said, is why I can't vote in the poll.

My dad lived in NYC for a couple years and experienced beggars to the extreme, so he's jaded beyond the point of no return. He'll never give a beggar money. Never ever.

I tell them I'm not interested. Get robbed once, you won't be interested either. There is nothing in the bible or in written law that states I have to trust others. When you dig in your pocket, you are distracted. When you lean over and dig around in your console for change, you are distracted. When you are distracted.... you are an opportunity to run with a wallet, carjack, and assault. Not worth the risk to look like a nice guy to someone I will likely never see again.

I do help people that I personally know are down and out by no fault of their own, but are not drug addicts, alcoholics, or just plain sorry.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

I won't give money. But I will buy someone a meal or give them clothing. With most of the encounters I've had, they wanted money... Turned down the meal. There was a woman last summer in front of my local walmart holding a sign "down on luck. Lost job. Naything helps."

I called the manager and told him what a shame it was that they hadn't given this woman a job. The manager told me he had offered to let her start that week and that she had turned the offer down and said that she made more money begging with her signs. As I drove by her, I told her that I had talked to the store manager for her and that they wanted to offer her a job. She turned her nose up and glared at me as if she were better than me. People like that make me sick. I work every day for what I have and take pride in that. Some people just think they are deserving of a free ride.

• Like 2

No, because my wife who is a saint, saw a guy with a sign that said will work for food and wanted to buy him some food. I cautioned her but relented. She goes into the Burger King the guy was standing near and bought him a full meal and proceeded to give it to the man. This scum-bag peice of shit takes it turns around and tosses it in the garbage! I swear if my wife was not there I would have shoved that whole meal, paper included up his ass sideways. Real people in need can be found and not on the street corner. Kids with POS parents comes to mind and that is where I donate because I know that kid will get some clothes ,food ,etc.

Edited by U.S Praetorian

I never give out money, I used to give out food on a regular basis.

Back when I worked a Bar/Snack Bar on some Harbor Tour Boats, I'd save all the ol'hotdogs, and make a last batch of dogs on the last trip.

I'd walk through San Diego's Gas Lamp Quarter handing them out with mustard/ketchup packets.

The street people were always grateful and said sincere "Thank You's"

At the same time, I'd drop by my buddy Frank's work, he was a parking lot attendant.

He would throw handfuls of small change and watch the mad scramble and random fist fight.

I remember way back, News8 in SD did a expose on beggars/panhandlers.

They proved that way too many conduct it as a real job, many have homes and even vehicles.

Almost all made better money than a minimum wage earner.

The best one they found, in the way of earnings, was a guy in three piece suit and carrying a briefcase.

He roamed SD's Lindbergh Field Int Airport, he'd have a $5-$10 bill and was at the various banks of payphones (remember those days :rolleyes: ) asking for change.

Busy travelers would simply sigh, and hand him whatever change was in their pocket and wave him on.

They straight up confronted him and he said he made $250-300 a day.

Generally NO! because I don't trust anyone that has not earned it and there is too many beggars and that's all they are. They don't want to help themselves and they only want to take advantage of others.

Now i will give when i think it is earned or really needed.

I give to the local FD, and various fund raisers if i think its legit. I will give to a person in need if I feel they are really in need. I help out when there is emergency need. IE: recent fires in Texas. OR for example a coworkers house burned a few years ago and they lost everything they had. IT takes time for insurance and other things to come through, I helped him out a bit with some money. SO on and so on.

When i see a beggar on the street holding a sign asking for money, or standing outside the beer store begging I cant help but think...Gee why is he holding a sign asking for money or begging for beer money. He could be at the local shelter taking a shower. Getting some nicer clothes, and trying to ask for food or a job. But the local shelters have a curfew and don't allow you to drink alcohol.....ya

Sorry but I cant those who cant help themselves.

Pauly, you didnt tell us why you do or dont give. :haha:

Edited by Chevyman097
  • Like 1

I never respond to beggars at intersections. They are a traffic hazard. Except onetime I saw this guy standing with a sign that read " Beer Toll, Pay here" it made me laugh, so he earned my dollar. The only other time I can remember giving to a beggar, was when I was 18. I was walking home from the corner store near my house and as I passed by this guy sitting in the bushes with blood stained rags wrapped around his feet.It was August in Houston and approaching 100 degrees. He ask me for a buck to buy a bottle of water. I told him I didn't have any cash, but to wait there. I walked back to the store bought the biggest bottle of water I could find with my debit card. Brought it back to him and looking at the rags on his feet I figured I could make it back to my house 2 blocks away barefoot so I gave him my sandals. The guy was so busy chugging the water I don't even think he said thanks. I didn't stick around to listen, mostly cause my feet were fucking burning on the concrete! Typically I only give beggars the finger.

• Like 1

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

One time in particular I didn't and it racked me with guilt.

Was having a bad day and eating a burger in the car in the lot of a Burger King. As I was eating, a guy on crutches and missing a foot hobbles over towards my car and I actually said to myself, "Oh, here we go!". I knew what was coming. The guy only asked for a quarter and I said no. I watched him hobble away over to the Burger King doors, only to also be turned away by them. By the time I got home, I hated myself for not giving the guy 5 bucks for a burger and fries. He was probably a vet and I turned him down.

I went back to the Burger King the next day around the same time just to see if I could find him, but he wasn't there. Sometimes you don't get a second chance to help.

I felt like I was given a test by God, and I failed miserably. I helped some old ladies change a tire a few days later, but that still didn't help the other guy very much.

For the record, I'm a pretty conservative guy. In general, I don't give handouts to people who just seem to be looking for a free ride. That's repulsive. The scammers who say, they just need 5 bucks for a train ticket to get home get nothing.

But too often I have ignored those who are truly in need.

I need to do better.

Good post Pauly.

No. Because I don;t trust them and because I give to real charity. I used to, I even accidentally gave one a $20 bill. He was there the next day and, instead of asking if I had change again, he asked if I had $20. :D So, I'm good for 20 more years. Besides, I give to real charity.

I have given away my lunch sandwiches before to people with signs on off ramps and what not. Rarely do i give cash, i wont be a potential benefactor of a habit. Demeanor and approach determines on how, what or if i do.

Edited by Mullet Man

Given out a few sandwiches and tacos, but I don't give out cash since I was a kid. I went to college in East Texas, and after Katrina, the regular Wal-mart beggars were suddenly Katrina refugees trying to get to Dallas to see their 3 kids and grandparents and just needed some gas money, man.

I had more respect for the guy trying to sell me weed at Taco Bell

• Like 1

Not No, but FUCK NO. I spotted one pregnant chick by Walmart with a sign, Pregnant, Homeless, etc. After getting my shopping done, I come out and see the same chick getting in a brand new Ram. Then there is the angry homeless guy at my local Tom Thumb all the time. I believe he really is homeless but he yells at everyone for money in an angry way like we all owe it to him because he is homeless. Everytime I see him walk, he is shitfaced and oblivious to the world around him. Then there are all the fuckers with the Homeless Vet signs. I specifically ask to see a copy of their DD Form 214 and I would help them out. To you non-mil types, it is the most important document from your military career which is generated and given to you upon discharge. (It outlines your military sevice). Most of these "Homeless Vets" have no idea what a 214 is. Fuck them for trying to use that moniker to earn a buck. Shit pisses me off! Around here, localities have ordinances preventing panhandlers from entering the road. Plus, in the panhandler hotspots, signs stating those ordinances and directing motorists not to give handouts.

Also what evlblkwpns said, you are going to get distracted digging for a couple of bucks and something bad may result. Also, take notice how clean some of these Sons of Bitches look being homeless. Just saying...

• Like 1

I won't give money. But I will buy someone a meal or give them clothing. With most of the encounters I've had, they wanted money... Turned down the meal. There was a woman last summer in front of my local walmart holding a sign "down on luck. Lost job. Naything helps."

I called the manager and told him what a shame it was that they hadn't given this woman a job. The manager told me he had offered to let her start that week and that she had turned the offer down and said that she made more money begging with her signs. As I drove by her, I told her that I had talked to the store manager for her and that they wanted to offer her a job. She turned her nose up and glared at me as if she were better than me. People like that make me sick. I work every day for what I have and take pride in that. Some people just think they are deserving of a free ride.

I can only imagine who she would vote for...

I rarely give out cash. I rarely have much to give anyway. I have on many occasions taken them to eat at a nearby fast food place (if they are hungry). Many accept, but many don't. I even offer to get it and bring it back to them sometimes. I don't ask them to get in my car to ride there.

With my several scars, when one asks for money, I point to one and say "The last dude that asked me for money did THIS." :rolleyes:

I vote yes. I willingly give them all one way rides to our county hotel. The vast majority of the ones that I make contact with are not homeless and travel in big groups that drop each other off at various locations. They treat it just like a job, without the work or taxes.

Edited by GeorgiaPD
  • Like 5

I vote yes. I willingly give them all one way rides to our county hotel. The vast majority of the ones that I make contact with are not homeless and travel in big groups that drop each other off at various locations. They treat it just like a job, without the work or taxes.

I see what you did there.

:Johnboy:

I like.

• Like 1