pick em up or not?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Well do you pick up the person looking for a ride?

• yes
    • no
    • play chicken with'em
    • stop and drive off when the get to the door
    • take 'em to a crowbar hotel

In response to Pauly's beggar poll.

That I don't give to them.

DO YOU pick up hitch hikers?

I always do when I'm alone. I NEVER pick them up with the wife or kids though.

and I never take payment since I only take them as far as I'm going.

two best I ever picked up were a teen with a sign that read.

ELMIRA NY

I DON'T SMELL

and a fellow Jeeper that's wrangler was in a complete ball of flames.

Had his thumb out and picked him up before the FD or police were on scene. on the side of rte 81 ( pretty much 30 miles from either station)

Man once he told me his day I felt better and I was having a bad one.

SO do you pick 'em up?

NEVER. Ok actually once but they weren't really hitch hiking. Once I was sitting in traffic and when I got to the cause of it I saw a car stalled out in the middle of the road with a man and woman standing next to it. I helped the guy push it into a parking lot and they asked if I could drive them to their work where they had a second car. It was only a few miles away and both were professionally dressed and seemed to be good people who just happened to have some bad luck. I drove them back to their work (a funeral home :blink: ). They offered me some gas money but I declined. Shit happens sometimes, if I can help I will but not because I want to make money of off it.

That was it.

Occasionally I will. It depends on my gut feeling. I've been on both ends of this debate, having traveled long distances on my thumb when I was younger. Hell, I went to spring break in Florida on my thumb. What a summer that was. :angel::super:

This one time, I was driving with my then girlfriend, and came up on this early 20's blond girl in pigtails and a short skirt hitchhiking. I saw her and let off the gas only to get the most aweful look and to be told "you are NOT giving her a ride .... " as I look back I should have picked up the girl and left my gf on the side of the road. Im sure she didnt wait long! It was out on an unpopulated highway so I doubt she was a working girl ......

I will... SOMETIMES... as was mentioned before... never if I am with someone... pretty much only cause I have a pickup truck, and if someones in the front seat there is *VERY LITTLE ROOM* in the back seat... and I am not ricking a ticket letting them ride in the bed...

If I am alone... I might... If they dont look too crazy... I am not too worried about crazies, though... they cant control my foot on the gas pedal... or brake... even if someone pulled a gun on me... I would probably be so scared shitless that we will probably both die in the high speed crash cause I would instantly floor it and not stop till either I had the gun, or we hit something.

Aside from that... again... as was said above... lots of times nowadays, its just someone having a bad bit of luck and needs a lift... :up:

Although... last time I picked up a freaky looking dude that hitchhiked around the area ALL THE TIME... I got a lesson on jesus... etc... :unsure: I never picked him up again... LOL Not that I minded the topic... It was just not the proper venue to discuss it...

:smoke:

hitch hikers don't flag me down :-(

Yeah I get the same thing, when they look at me the thumbs go away, go figure

Thats what I'm talking about! Whats up with that shit?

You guys probably look scary! Lol! Some people say I look scary too. 6'5" 350lbs tats and guages. I don't find myself scary though...

I recently found out it is illegal to pick up hitchers in Tn. This was after giving a domestic abuse victim a ride to the police station from the gas station, my cop buddy told me.

I was like "NO SHIT?" How fucking stupid. I knew it was illegal to hitch, but if I wanna pick up some stranger its my damn choice.

I have a few times when I was younger, but don't do it anymore because these people usually have issues. One was a girl a few years older than me who wanted a ride to her boyfriend's house that was 25 miles out of my way. One was a vet who had lost his license and needed a ride to the VA. One was just a kind of transient looking dude about my age who I felt sorry for because no one else would probably pick him up and he was in the middle of nowhere. All of them pretty obviously had substance abuse or mental problems (two of them even asked if I had any weed).

Most obnoxiously, NONE OF THEM WOULD SHUT THE HELL UP THE ENTIRE DRIVE. I got to hear all their theories about Jesus and the government, even though I never asked. I live in a pretty rural state and was stuck in the car with them for way longer than I wanted to be each time.

The moral of the story is that there's usually a reason these people don't have cars, licenses, or friends to bum rides from.

Edited by Dudethebagman
  • Like 1

I have a few times when I was younger, but don't do it anymore because these people usually have issues. One was a girl a few years older than me who wanted a ride to her boyfriend's house that was 25 miles out of my way. One was a vet who had lost his license and needed a ride to the VA. One was just a kind of transient looking dude about my age who I felt sorry for because no one else would probably pick him up and he was in the middle of nowhere. All of them pretty obviously had substance abuse or mental problems (two of them even asked if I had any weed).

Most obnoxiously, NONE OF THEM WOULD SHUT THE HELL UP THE ENTIRE DRIVE. I got to hear all their theories about Jesus and the government, even though I never asked. I live in a pretty rural state and was stuck in the car with them for way longer than I wanted to be each time.

The moral of the story is that there's usually a reason these people don't have cars, licenses, or friends to bum rides from.

i know how you feel. that shit sucks. and your right, there is usually a reason for their walking.

I picked up a few in my younger years, one when it was raining and I was drunk. I scared the hell out of him pulling the e brake on turns, listening to metal loud as fuck, and swilling beer, not one of my prouder moments. He asked me to let him out.

When I first started my job I was riding in the van with this dude, and we were on the entrance ramp to the freeway, there was a hitchhiker. I said you wanna pick up a hitchhiker? He said, and I quote: Only if we can kill and rape him, because if we did it in the order it would be gay.

I laughed my ass off.

I hope everyone realizes, that according to the FBI and crime statistics, that crime is actually going down and has been for quite some time. Don't believe all the putrid bullshit you see on tv. Crime has been going down for some time now. TV and newspapers use crime to sell. It's not all that bad. Yeah, shit happens. But, it's not like everybody and their neighbor are out to kill you. TV news wouldn't exist without crime and killings. Don't get caught up in the living in fear trap.

I hope everyone realizes, that according to the FBI and crime statistics, that crime is actually going down and has been for quite some time. Don't believe all the putrid bullshit you see on tv. Crime has been going down for some time now. TV and newspapers use crime to sell. It's not all that bad. Yeah, shit happens. But, it's not like everybody and their neighbor are out to kill you. TV news wouldn't exist without crime and killings. Don't get caught up in the living in fear trap.

Citation?

Nope, I don't pick up hitch hikers. It's not worth the risk, and most look like they haven't bathed in weeks, besides. I don't need that stank in my ride. Then again, I've never seen a hitcher who looked anywhere close to 20-Mags' pics. :D

Perhaps more hitchers should follow the unwritten book of the road:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXz-HCcDUHY

I'm sure they'd have more luck. :lolol:

I should specify; I don't consider stranded motorists to be hitch hikers. In those situations, I'll usually pull over to help, (to change a tire, give a ride to a gas station, etc).

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Nailbomb and I had this discussion tonight. YES I do. Not all but some. The last one was the other day, he was walking the other way than I was driving. I turned around to pick him up, was he hitch hicking, thumb out, NO. But a man in battlefield dress, 10th MTN tabs, and carrying a K-pot deserves enough respect to not be walking down the road.

• Like 2

Picking up hitchhikers is a good way to get killed. Though you're probably more likely to be murdered by someone you know... setting yourself up where you're alone with a complete stranger has to be a close second. Contrary to my name, I generally prefer to reduce risks to my well being when I can and I try to not end up as another story on an episode of some crappy TruTV cold case show.