Alternative finish for your 7.62x39 rifles

Well, I decided to see how resistant my favorite spray can auto parts store coating VHT CALIPER PAINT (900 degree) is against brake parts cleaner. Most anything I have tried up to now in the sub $10 can price range has not faired well against brake parts cleaner. Dupli-color 500 degree paint was a big disappointment. It did not take long for brake parts cleaner to ruin the dupli-color finish. The older Dupli-1200 degree coating was also too easily affected by the same brake parts cleaner. Brake parts cleaner is pretty harsh and while some may wonder why go to this level of chemical solvent it really is close enough to gun scrubber a popular gun cleaning solvent that it helps to set some kind of testing bench mark for a inexpensive home made evaluation. This and the fact that I wouldn't ever use anything stronger than brake parts cleaner to clean any of my firearms. It is perfectly safe on steel but can easily destroy most carbon based finishes and can also harm plastics/synthetics.

Initially, I sectioned off an area to coat on a spare steel mag.

6jcxz5.jpg

I fully cured the coating for 1 hour at 200 degrees as indicated on the can instructions.

2nlb9tl.jpg

I got a glass bowl to soak the magazine in for ten minutes. The finish was fully submerged in the solvent.

2mpfqec.jpg

Afterwards, I dried the magazine and scratch tested the coating with a finger nail.

The coating help up better then anything else I have tested so far, but it was softening a bit and a paper towel could wipe some minor surface particles from coating fairly easy.

I guess it would be safe to use something mild like kerosene to clean any coated parts in the future but a steady use of anything really strong like brake parts cleaner, acetone, or MEK would slowly erode the finish over time. Three of the better reasons why I like this coating are it cures in 1 hour at 200 degrees which is very safe for steel tempered springs, it resists chipping very well, and it can endure up to 900 degrees which is no where near what a typical AK barrel will need to endure. I don't think you can find anything tougher and more solvent resistant in the sub $10 category.

2rd8avm.jpg

• Like 2

Great write up excellent pictures. I'd like to see how it holds up on poly parts, and traditional gun solvents like hoppes #9..maybe acetone?

Thanks.

Hoppes #9 should be no problem at all.

Acetone is very extreme also.

Edited by my762buzz

Great write up excellent pictures. I'd like to see how it holds up on poly parts, and traditional gun solvents like hoppes #9..maybe acetone?

Thanks.

Hoppes #9 should be no problem at all.

Acetone is very extreme also.

The CLP Powder Blast seems to be a very strong solvent as well.

I do enjoy your testing OP, but I will tell you this, try brake cleaner on your car and see how it holds up! I only say that because I use it on a daily basis. Not much will stand up to it. Even less will stand up to it after repeated use!

I do enjoy your testing OP, but I will tell you this, try brake cleaner on your car and see how it holds up! I only say that because I use it on a daily basis. Not much will stand up to it. Even less will stand up to it after repeated use!

Yes, most any carbon based coating will not hold out very well against brake parts cleaner.

I really like plating for better solvent resistance.

My choice would be black chrome.

blackchrome01.jpg

Yes, most any carbon based coating will not hold out very well against brake parts cleaner.

I really like plating for better solvent resistance.

My choice would be black chrome.

blackchrome01.jpg

Hmmm, I 'd like to see that one.