vertical grip

My local gun range decided to change all standing rifle spots to handgun so all rifle & shotgun spots are sitting except for trap. Sitting and trying to use the md arms 20 rd drum is really uncomfortable so I think a vertical grip would help but i'm not a really big fan of those grips. I was wondering if anybody has used the magpul angled grip with the drum & if it's as comfortable as a vertical one.

what is it you dont like about vfg, i don't have a magpul afg on my saiga so i couldn't really help you there, but i've held ARs with them and didn't really care for them compared to a vfg. i do have a CAA vfg on the factory s12 handguard and i love it, works great with drums

I have used the drum with the AFG and it's comfortable, but never sitting down. My club is the opposite, in that I can't shoot my shotguns anywhere but the trap field. If you need to use the drum while sitting, think about getting a Grip Pod. It is a vertical grip with a deployable bipod.

I shoot trap and sporting clays with my Saiga, and I think the AFG gives me a more comfortable angle for my supporting hand and more control than the OEM handguard or a VFG. YMMV, because the angle is closer to what I am used to shooting (Remington 1100 and Beretta 391.)

I just grab the bottom of the drum. I shoot 00 Buck, and the recoil isn't that bad where it will fly out of your hand. the problem I would see with a VG, is that you would have to reach around the drum to grab onto the VG, which is a very awkward position. unless you make a VG that is like 2 feet long so you can grab it from under the drum.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

I just grab the bottom of the drum. I shoot 00 Buck, and the recoil isn't that bad where it will fly out of your hand. the problem I would see with a VG, is that you would have to reach around the drum to grab onto the VG, which is a very awkward position. unless you make a VG that is like 2 feet long so you can grab it from under the drum.

Extendable Harris bipod???

http://www.krebscustom.com/PartsPages/KalashnikovParts.shtml

get a quality quadrail, quality VFG ( I'm REALLY likeing the Troy modular atm ) then click that link and scroll down to the

KCI FORE-END GRIP ADAPTER

CATALOG NUMBER 9

I use this same setup on my RPK as well and its BEAST....as well as being insanely functional, It allows the VFG to be mounted to the side rail instead of bottom rail and come down to about the 7 o'clock position... dosent add a full 45 degrees of tilt to it, but enough to keep it out of the way of drum changes, allow a solid grip that at least to me feels more ergonomic than a true 90 degree VFG anyway...

so far I'm VERY pleased with the function and if you install it on a metal quad and not a poly quad it locks up tight... no wiggle, no play... built like a tank....

Ugh, I gotta get pics of the RPK up... she's mean...

as far as the Magpul AFG goes, I have one on my 7.62, love the feel of it on a lighter rifle but don't like it at all on anything with any weight to it.... I prefer the AFG on my AKs and ARs... prefer VFG on the Saiga12 and RPK

Edited by datrowl
  • 2 months later...

I couldn't really use/reach my factory handguard with the md 20 because I am fairly short. But, with the romanian "Donkey Dick" foregrip, I can reach around the drum easy enough sitting at a bench or standing, and I don't have any problems changing mags. I don't know if the magpul hangs down far enough to reach it around a drum.

The AFG doesn't work for me with drums. It makes me turn the underside of my arm toward the drum. A traditional vert grip causes me to turn the underside of my arm out a little more. Try it, you will see what I mean. I use a MAGPUL RVG. The factory handguard can be drilled and the rails that come with the RVG can be installed, if you do not have rails. Put the vert grip out as far as you can in an effort to get your forearm away from the drum.

Edited by evlblkwpnz