My next rifle , what shall it be??????????

Hi all

In the next 6 months i plan to buy another rifle , on my licence i have spare slots for 7.92/8mm mauser and .30-06 but i may select another calliber altogether. my friend has a genuine nagant sniper and i like it but im not 100% sure what i want. As i live in stupid England with stupid English gun laws any full bore rifle i buy must be manually operated. i dont like small bullets like .223 but i am a big fan of .30 cal guns , i like to feel a kick when i pull the trigger and i also like accuracy. i currently own the following callibers already

7.62x39

12g

any ideas?????

cheers

assassin

Hi

If you think that law is bad how about this latest one then , in England they have now banned air cartridge pistols and rifles of the brocock type!!!!!!!!

How stupid is that , now it means that under U.K gun laws an air cartridge pistol is as deadly as a full aout .50 cal (they are both classed as section 5 prohibited weapons now) lol its ridiculous to say that an air gun is as deadly as a .50 but hey thats our stupid and blind politicians for you.

assassin

:lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

"on my licence i have spare slots for 7.92/8mm mauser and .30-06"

What does that mean? Is there a limit on the number/caliber of guns you can have? Just curious.

How do people there feel about their laws? I would like to think it couldn't happen in the US but you never know :unsure:

Hi

Yes in England when you get a firearms liscence it states the guns that you are allowed to buy and possess , mine currently has 7 guns on it but i have only bought 5 , i am actually technically illegal as by law if i own more than 6 guns i must have a fully monitored alarm system and i havent got one lol.

Most gun owners think our laws suck big time , on my liscence it even states what limits i can store and purchase at any one time lmfao , like that makes the streets any safer.

its a sad world , but i got to live in it

assassin

:cryss::cryss::cryss:

Hi

Yes in England when you get a firearms liscence it states the guns that you are allowed to buy and possess , mine currently has 7 guns on it but i have only bought 5 , i am actually technically illegal as by law if i own more than 6 guns i must have a fully monitored alarm system and i havent got one lol.

Most gun owners think our laws suck big time , on my liscence it even states what limits i can store and purchase at any one time lmfao , like that makes the streets any safer.

its a sad world , but i got to live in it

assassin

:cryss::cryss::cryss:

i had heard that pistols were banned in either england, or britian, and after that, violent crimes dramaticly increased. anyone else know about that?

Hi

our parliament passed the laws with the help of the media running dramatic but un truthfull stories about how all illegal guns start out in legal hands , in 1987 there was a guy called micheal ryan that ran through a town about 30 miles from my home with a semi auto chinese type 56-1 (ak copy) and shot the town up and that caused fullbore semi auto rifles to be banned completly (we can still have semi auto slug firing shotguns though...............go figure??????????)

and then in 1997 we had a guy named thomas hamilton enter a school in scotland with a revolver and 2 semi auto pistols and shot dead 17 people (mostly school kids and 1 teacher) and so that caused all handguns to be banned . in the last case the police should have siezed the mans guns as he was reported twice for threatening people with a loaded gun but they did nothing. now we have only black powder pistols of the muzzle loading type and some curious .357 taurus and ruger redhawks with either a long barrel and wrist brace to make it at least 24" in total length so it can be classed as a large firearm or ridiculously long barrels so as to make the gun look stupid and very front heavy. When the handgun ban came into force i was half way through a pistol postal competition and we had to complete the comptition with .177 air pistols (we felt real stupid, but we still won lol)

Our government would like to ban all privatly owned guns regardless of what it says publicly , our gun laws are draconian , in-effective (we all flount our ammo limits risking minimum 5 years in prison lol) and above all stupid. As far as im concerned if i am regarded as a suitable person to own guns then does it matter how many or how many rounds i keep and wether they are manually operated or fully auto as im not going to hurt anyone????????

on the other hand if a person cant be regarded as fit to own firearms then they should not be allowed to have any at all , end of story!

I could own 500 guns with no greater risk to public safety as i only have two hands with witch to fire them.

Sadly what is happening in england is also happening to other countries to a lesser of greater degree , i dont like it but i think all our countries will head down the same road of stupidity.

It is true that since the handgun ban and the semi-auto rifle ban armed crime has gone up , i have seen reports in the papers of people killed with such guns as fully auto mac 10s and kalashnikovs as well as numerous pistols. And best of all the police recently recovered a fully auto Glock 18 during a raid on someones house so we can all sleep safely at night knowing that the gun laws are keeping our streets clear of illegal guns and violence............................NOT!

While im typing id better tell you about our home defence laws , in england you are only allowed to use "reasonable force" against an intruder , this translates into minimum force required to detain the intruder untill the police arrive (and they often dont). If an intruder enters my home and trips on a loose carpet he can get a lawsuit against me and win damages against me as it is my duty in law to make my home safe for anyone who enters..........LIKE F**K MR BLAIR!!!!!!!

We often read of killings by burgulars in the media but nobody ever gives homeowners and decent people alike the right to save their own life.

sad but true

all the best

assassin

wow, and i thought the laws here in the U.S. were getting to be rediculous. what worries me is that someday, we will have laws that are just as bad if not worse. hopefully it wont happen in my lifetime.

also, when those firearms were banned, did the government actually go take the guns away from people?

Hi chips

Yes , what happened is this , in the case of the pistol ban all pistol owners (this includes all pistols .22-.50 etc except muzzle loaders) were notified by their local police force as to the ban and gien a date deadline for the surrender at the police station of their guns , once the guns were surrendered they had to argue with the police as to what band (section) they would be classed as , some sections get you a higher compensation payment than others and the police often tried to bully the ex-pistol owner into agreeing on a lower section to save government money. after all things were agreed some ex-pistol owners waited near 2 years to recieve their money and even won some court cases against the government to win interest on money owed to them by the government.

its strange , i am regarded as responsible to own a saiga 12 c with any capacity i like and fire rifled slugs but i cant have a semi auot 7.62x39 , as most homicides in england are at short or point blank range what gun makes the most mess............saiga 12 c i bet

its good to discuss our countris differing gun laws

assassin

i think i would have to be dead before any of my guns are taken away from me. im just glad the the constitution states that all u.s. citizens have the right to bear arms :smoke:

assassin: at least you can own some firearms. there's a lot of countries out there that have all guns banned

Assassin:

Your story saddens me but even more it leaves me with the worry that we in the US are heading in the same direction! I do not condone terrorism, but a government no longer for the people should no longer be a government tolerated by the people.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

-Thomas Jefferson

"Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government...it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

-The Declaration of Independence

:super:

Yes id like to leave the U.K

ive lived here all my life 31years of it and its just gone stupid on many things now. they always want to ban an inanimate object that they blame for the ills of society and never try to sort out the root of the evil............the person with the faulty head that kills or injures others. our government does not really want any private gun ownership.

Thanks for the offer

Im on my way..........can i bring my saiga 12c???

or maybe i need to wait till after the sunset

thanks

assassin

I love that idea! Don't worry Assassin, we have your replacement all ready. You will be replaced by a lady named Pam. ;)

We can put add on the tv, and newspapers......

<In America>

Are you afraid of guns? Do you think guns should be banned? Well congrats, we have a exchange progam to put you in a place of your dreams. Dont worry about baning guns where you are, we will put you in a place without them!

<In the UK ect>

Do you enjoy gun ownership? Do you wish to have the means to defend your life? Are you willing to stand up with fellow gun owners to protect your rights? Well then we have a great excange program for you. We will bring a highly civilized yank here and send you to America.

• 2 weeks later...

Ha ha ha ha i like the idea of the TV ads , what a great system.

maybe then everyone can be happy and live with their own kind. some politician should take note of that and if they do they will get my vote for sure.

lol

assassin

To avoid a jet-lag type symptom, from a rapid withdrawl of weapons bans and/or the irrational connection between violent crime and weapon based laws, I would highly recommend a brief stay in the Republic of Kalifornia before proceeding into the USA. I wouldn't want to scare ya off just cuz we greet you at the door with our shoot'in irons. We just like to carry 'em all the time! :D

Pick'in a new caliber to play with is always a tuff call. For me, it is usually based on how much I can tinker reloading vs which rifle model I purchase. Since you are in the UK and like a little recoil with your paper puncher..I think you hafta go with the 375HH mag. 1st thing I think of when someone says, "London". England scores high marks with me when it comes to weapons..too bad you can't use 'em. :angel:

(just teasing-I fear we are a few years-right behind ya) then we revolt again! :lolol:

Edited by NedPepper

:smoke: Hey Assassin, I just read in a mag called Small Arms Review that Germany just passed a law that allows them to own semi auto SIG 551's and a few others for sporting purposes,so there IS hope!

On your comment regarding being allowed to only have manually operated rifles-here is one that I know of. In Commiefornia we can no longer buy semi auto AK rifles,even the action is banned,hence no SAIGA :cryss: ,BUT there is a rifle that is called a PAR-1 that is basically a romanian AK(SAR 1 as sold in the USA) that has been redone as a pump action and it will take any hicap magazines.

The receiver is marked as follows : "Made by CN ROMARM SA/CUGIR in Romainia, Imported by CAI Georgia,VT

Now I do not know if this rifle was made by Romarm specifically for the US company Century Arms Int'l or if this rifle would be available to you in England.I am going to see if I can find the website. I have attached a pic of it next to a preban Chinese AK,you can see the differences in the front end. All they did was -1. Mill a slot in the Gas Piston and drill a hole. 2.Inserted a flat piece of steel that would pivot and pin it in the piston. 3. Made a different forearm and a sliding grip that acts as a pump grip which is pinned to the piece in the piston. 4. the barrel IS NOT drilled for the gas hole/port and the front sight/'gas block' is 1 piece. The rest of the rifle is AK through and through,the piston and bolt carrier are standard except for the piston mods and front end,EVERTHING else is the same.I know it is pretty crude in quality but it actually shoots pretty good,the hard part is remembering to pump it to cycle the action,especially if you have shot an AK before.Plus side is that it has a scope rail already attached.

post-21-1079687592.jpg

Hey assassan I would go with the30-06, if no other reason than it comes in more loadings than any 3 other calibers combined.I sporterized an 03-A3 springfield maybe 25 years ago,and this would be the one if GOD FORBID I could only save one!! It has mauser type action BEST safty ever made and EXCELLENT iron sights(garrand type). Use it to drive tent pegs,whatever-it always works. On this side of the pond 30-06 ammo is every where. I have shot everything from 55grain (22cal.discarding sabot) to 220 grain cast from linotype metal! Military surplus is still cheap and readily available. This one will drop it if you can see it.

One old mans humble opinion! LOL.

Also regarding STUPID gun laws-the U.S.army and innumerable law enforcement departments use the barretta 9mm made in the peoples republic of maryland.Guess where the are illeagle to buy??We also cannot OWN clips in excess of 20 rounds capacity :ded:

NON CARBORUNDIUM ILLIGITTI EST (don't let the bastards wear you down!)

I hate to sound whimpish here but I'll take the heat if I do:

.17 rimfire dude check it OUT! Killer accuracy, good pest gun, low noise and recoil.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/News-06-03-2002.html

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/17magnum/index.htm

or, if you never heard of these guys and you have the money for one in 30-06:

http://www.sako.fi/

Edited by Bvamp

Hi

In england the only manually operated rifles allowed in any calliber over .22lr/wmrf are , bolt action , lever action or straight pull rifles.

so i cant have a semi auto or a pump. i do like the idea of either a .30-06 or a 7.92mm as i have these callibers on my liscence but what guns are good at a decent (relativly cheap) price , i like heavy/varmint barrels and detachable mags as well as composite stocks but i am happy to settle for a wood stock.

thanks

assassin

Old mausers and springfields in good shape are fairly cheap and shoot nice if you get a decent one. Simple enough to check for shot out barrels - just take a live round, and put it bullet end first into the muzzle without force. you should have a few MM on a fresh barrel, a couple mm on a used barrel and 1mm on a shot out barrel when measured from the muzzle to the case's neck. k98 mausers take 8mm, and the springfeilds mostly take 30-06. decent mauser will run you about 100 US to 250 US for a real nice one with all matching 3rd reich markings. Springfields are a little more than that, but you can find a zillion different ones usually, as with the mausers. Maybe you will get lucky and find one cheaper than that even. something to consider, though neither of these are box-mag fed. Plus you can put a bayonet on either of them. One of each of these crossed make very nice display pieces for your gun room or mantle.

i have a bunch of rifles, my new toy ive been playin with is a Henry .17hmr varmit express, great lil round, for hunting i either take out the 25/06 or the 300 weatherby mag, for general plinking i like my sks-d, latley ive been buyin alot of pistols Berreta NEOS U22, Walther P22 and a Berreta 21a (within the last month) but u want a cheap fun gun to shoot go for a sks, u can find some for about $100 around here dunno bout there