Two questions on Saiga bolt carriers

1, I have an IZ132 i picked up with a cracked OE bolt carrier. Its cracked where the piston threads in and the crack runs from dimple to dimple. I have a MIG and the means, what is the recommended procedure to repair it thru weld?

2, The same gun has a new replacement KVAR Russian bolt carrier currently installed (not by me). I havent fired it yet and i'm not sure if the previous owner fired it either. Will i, or should i have any issues of headspacing using this new carrier?

My preference is to repair the original and reinstall it.

Seconded. I've dropped LOTS of random parts kits bolts/carriers into other rifles, never had so much as a hint of a problem, even moving between carriers manufactured in different countries, carriers and bolts meant for a milled gun into a stamped gun. With a brand new carrier from the same manufacturer, you have even less to worry about.

• Like 1

1, I have an IZ132 i picked up with a cracked OE bolt carrier. Its cracked where the piston threads in and the crack runs from dimple to dimple. I have a MIG and the means, what is the recommended procedure to repair it thru weld?

2, The same gun has a new replacement KVAR Russian bolt carrier currently installed (not by me). I havent fired it yet and i'm not sure if the previous owner fired it either. Will i, or should i have any issues of headspacing using this new carrier?

My preference is to repair the original and reinstall it.

The bolt carriers on Saiga are whats commonly refered to as 1 & 1/4 chrome (I know the common responsed is Chrome Molly Alloy, but the actual nickel content of the carrier is neglieble. I recently had my S12 carrier PMID'd It's reccomended that you use a good catch all TIG rod like Inco82, I used 316L for my charging handle but thats an external non load barring freature so I wasn't concerned. Here is a general refernce to TIG welding Chromemoly, it's reccomended that you preheat, and heat treat specificly to maintain optimal integrity. I'm posting this as reference only, and AM IN NO WAY TELLING YOU TO ATEMPT THIS WITHOUT PROPER SKILL SET AND EQUIPMENT. Enjoy. http://www.aws.org/technical/errata/b2-1-4-220-1999.pdf

Thanks for the replies.

Sounds like i should farm out the repair work since i only have MIG.

The bolt headspaces by the rearlugs contacting against the trunnion during lock up. The original bolt with matching serial number is set and the carrier will not affect how the bolt locks into the trunnion. The rear lug contact areas have wear marks where this occurs.

I have not tried it myself yet, but a standard surplus bulgarian 74 carrier should be a drop in replacement part and will not affect headspace at all.

If I had one to try out, I would post pictures. I have seen them for sale for near $20

Edited by my762buzz