The joys of living in today's world...

I was laying on the couch with my girlfriend watching Dr Who with the window open, when I hear a struggle and a woman screaming "Help me!!"

The tiny elderly mother of one of my neighbors was being attacked by a 250+lb woman in her underware. The crazy attacker was covered in blood, and slamming the old womans head into the sidewalk in front of my apt. I grabbed my .380 and ran out the front door, drew, and announced "Freeze or I will shoot you" When the attacking woman (who will be referred to as "Big Crazy") saw me come out of the door she stopped and rolled off the victim, looking like she would come towards me... I told her to get on the ground and stay still until the cops got there... she came at me slowly trying to escape... I didn't shoot, because she wasn't posing an imminent threat to me.. but when she came too close I spun her to the ground and held her at gunpoint until the cops showed up...

...at which point I acknowledged the officers, their drawn weapons, and placed mine on the ground before they even got theirs out of their holsters.

Being well liked by the neighbors helps! The crowd that was around announced loudly that I had saved the elderly woman, while I was being cuffed face down in my yard.

From my face down perspective, Big Crazy took 2 tazer shots without a blink. The first time she pulled the probes out of her chest like swatting a fly. The next time she just sat down... it took two good sized cops point tazing her to get the keys and knife out of her hand and get her cuffed.

They gave me wet-naps to get the blood off me after they let me go. Melinda (My GF) is now pondering how best to launder the bloodstains out of my shirt.

Hmmmm... Yeah...

• Like 27

Sorry, just got out of the shower.

No cuts. But, I still might talk to a Doc...

There was a young man who wasn't a cop there with a notepad... If it was a reporter, and they do a story, I'll post a link to it in this thread.

I will say this, she was so nuts she barely reacted to the gun. Just babbling about Jesus and pointing to my holster saying I "stole her glasses case"... and "You can't do this..."

You expect a reaction to a drawn weapon to be compliance, fear, SOMETHING. This was just dead stare.

• Like 2

It sounds as though the cops treated you reasonably in this case, (no arrest), Heath.

I'm glad to hear it but more glad that you were able to use a firearm to defend a helpless person being assaulted, and neutralize the maniac responsible. I'm sure you'd have been able to subdue "Big Crazy" without the pistol, but it'd involve more bloodshed.

ETA: It'd be great if that was a reporter and they decide to publish what you did; so long as they don't demonize ya, but I don't see how they effectively could in this case. Examples of private citizens using firearms to save lives are relatively common, but rarely reported, (outside of NRA literature).

Edited by post-apocalyptic

It sounds as though the cops treated you reasonably in this case, (no arrest),

it's a sad day for the free law abiding american when being cuffed face down in your own yard as the result of lawfully defending your life and others....is considered being treated reasonable by LE...one day this failed experiment will end...

• Like 8

Well done!

My guess would be that "Big Crazy" was high as kite or suffering some mental snap. In either case, the .380 would likely only be effective as a face shot and even then, who knows.

You did good Heath. Proud of you, not only for doing whats right. But for doing in it in a propper manner.

Again well done. Now go see that Dr. and burn the clothes. Crazy shit rubs off onto those that aint.

Excellent! First I'd like to commend you for stepping up to the plate and probably saving the victims life. Also good job in showing the proper restraint during the situation. I hope the news organization(s) do pick up on this story. Yet again another positive example for the 2nd Amendment and a good citizen doing the right thing while armed with the right tool.

Thats really great, Heath. I am a little pissed that they even had to cuff you, but I guess thats what they have to do to everyone involved until they sort out WTF happened. Its sad that if your neighbors hadnt chimed in , you might have gone downtown, but I guess thats the world we live in. Thirty years ago (when the Brawny man had an Axe) they would've just let you stand there without the cuffs.

Great day for your whole neighborhood. Lots of baked goods will be headed your way. Post WTF the deal was with Big Nasty when you get a chance.

While the cuffs may have been unnecessary, it's worth remembering that the first thing the cops saw when they arrived was a man with blood on him holding a gun on a woman on the ground with blood on her. Even without sexual stereotyping, the cops may have felt the likelihood of Heath being the aggressor was better than 50/50. Evidence in the subsequent preliminary investigation obviously didn't support that conclusion, so the handcuffs were removed. The cops did not exceed their authority, nor did their authority allow them to take actions that were not reasonable given the situation described.

Kudos to you, Heath. That was a courageous, decent, and level-headed thing you did. You probably saved two women's lives.

• Like 1

After looking today, I don't think it made the papers. Which is kinda odd considering I'm 99.9% certain the guy who was there was the Kalamazoo Gazette crime beat reporter "Rex Hall Jr." I'm kinda glad actually, I really don't think a picture in the paper with the caption "This guy has a gun" is something I need. :unsure:

Thanks guys, you make it sound way cooler than it was. I'm just glad I remembered to yell to one of the guys on the phone to the cops to tell them a CCW holder was there... I forgot to mention that bit... him saying that to the 911 operator probably saved my life.

I hope my telling what happened helps somebody else get through it if they are ever in a similar situation. Be safe guys.

• Like 3

It sounds as though the cops treated you reasonably in this case, (no arrest),

it's a sad day for the free law abiding american when being cuffed face down in your own yard as the result of lawfully defending your life and others....is considered being treated reasonable by LE...one day this failed experiment will end...

Depending on who called 911 and how detailed the caller was or in some cases the call taker (I've dealt with lousy call takers), it is not always clear when we show up on a call with an EDP (emotionally disturbed person) and another with a gun, who the bad guy is. It is just policy for most departments to cuff all players involved, especially the one with the gun who can kill us. Even as an officer, if I take action off-duty and in plain clothes, I'm going to expect that I will be proned out and cuffed until the LE on scene can fully and safely determine that I am who I say I am.

Great Job Heath for stepping up and doing the right thing, instead of the so many sheep out there that will standby and watch the wolf kill one of their own! :up:

Edited by BigD45
  • Like 1

Did the cop apologize for cuffing you? Because, that's important. An apology says we cuff everyone, even those that don't deserve

it, for our safety, and we're sorry about doing that, but it had to be done. Not apologizing says we were wrong and we don't care

and we are all a bunch of dicks.

Although Heath did a great job with the tools at hand, I wonder how other weapons could have been used, like a baseball bat to the

knees. Nothing says your life will suck from now on than a destroyed knee.

Nice job Heath. No hard feelings towards the LEO for cuffing you. It's for everyone's safety until shit gets sorted out. Having to use the pistol would have been justified, at least down here in FL. Knee capping the bitch with a baseball bat instead would have landed you in court probably.

Nice job Heath glad it didn't turn out worse than it did. I agree that a bat to the knees while maybe effective would no doubt have gotten you a one way ticket to court in a lawsuit. You must be fairly close to me as you mentioned the Kazoo gazette. I live in Scotts, Mi in Kazoo County.

I will say this, she was so nuts she barely reacted to the gun. Just babbling about Jesus and pointing to my holster saying I "stole her glasses case"... and "You can't do this..."

You expect a reaction to a drawn weapon to be compliance, fear, SOMETHING. This was just dead stare.

Psychotic episode.

She would have probably reacted the same to barney the purple dinosaur the same as she would a firearm.

You're lucky it resolved like it did.

But you know what's annoying about Oregon?

It's a Concealed HANDGUN license rather than a concealed WEAPONS licence.

There's sometimes when a situation could be easily resolved with brass knuckles rather than firepower.

I wish I could legally carry both.

Good reaction though.

If the lady was delusional she very well could have killed.

When people go psychotic & are in fear of their delusions they are capable of great damage.

But on a side note...

Let me get this straight...

This happened, you were covered with a stranger's blood, but you took the time to post this topic before hopping in the shower? :mellow:

Priorities man.

Priorities. :lolol:

Bwahaha... you're right! I was still in the post adrenalin rush pacing stage when I wrote the first one.( If you have ever been in real fight, or a bad car accident, you know what I'm talking about.) Kinda wanted to get it down and explain myself to someone who might understand... (Insert warm fuzzy "I love you guys...")

The knife was a small folding one she had with her keys, the blade wasn't out, or I probably would have. Thank god it wasn't. She didn't stab the old woman, as I later found out,... she was pounding her head into the concrete sidewalk...the majority of the blood came from her stabbing herself in the head and face with her keys and knife. (Yeah... Wow... Fucked...)

When I dropped her she was trying to skirt around me to get away... not a direct charge per se...and she couldn't move that fast. I stuck my leg behind her knees and used my non-gun hand to throw her back over my leg. She went down fairly easy for me... the 100lb 60 year old she was beating didn't have my advantages. My muzzle was on her the whole time, and I was damn certain she didn't get close enough to my gun hand to grab for it. But in hindsight I probably shouldn't have let her get that close to me. In my head I made the decision, not to shoot her because she had no weapon and was so disoriented. If she would have attacked directly or had the weapon in her hand, that would have been different.

• Like 1

By the way...

I have nothing bad to say about the way the cops acted. I can understand the decisions they made. I also offered to testify on their behalf in any event where someone accused them of being the ones who tore Big Crazy's face up. They did a damn good job. As much as I HATE having guns drawn on me, until they could figure out what happened, I can understand their caution. My girlfriend was more pissed about the way I was treated than I was.

Edited by Heath_h49008
  • Like 1