Sounds like you saved the old woman's life. Did you ever find out why she was being beaten? Suspect you might face a charge from the woman of illegal detainment. In other words you didn't have the authority to detain her with a firearm. Don't know what the laws are in your state tho.

All citizens have police powers.

"Police" simply have "special police powers".

It's perfectly legal to conduct a citizen's arrest, however one better be damn sure they're in the right, otherwise they may face kidnapping charges.

(kidnapping charges can be tacked on from as little as standing in front of the door when someone wants to leave believe it or not)

Sounds like you saved the old woman's life. Did you ever find out why she was being beaten? Suspect you might face a charge from the woman of illegal detainment. In other words you didn't have the authority to detain her with a firearm. Don't know what the laws are in your state tho.

Big Crazy had a mental breakdown (She was on or off medication supposedly) and the elderly woman was just in the wrong place. There was no conflict between the two, it wasn't a robbery, and she didn't defend herself. The cops actually asked me "Why didn't you shoot her? She was obviously a threat." Michigan is a "Stand Your Ground" State... I was within my rights to drop her according to my training and the responding officers.

If Big Crazy tries to sue ANYBODY, she's going to find numerous people lined up against her, including half a dozen cops.

Edited by Heath_h49008
  • Like 1

After looking today, I don't think it made the papers. Which is kinda odd considering I'm 99.9% certain the guy who was there was the Kalamazoo Gazette crime beat reporter "Rex Hall Jr." I'm kinda glad actually, I really don't think a picture in the paper with the caption "This guy has a gun" is something I need. :unsure:

Because a lawfully armed citizen who does not go on a rampage, and instead saves a life, using the minimum force necessary, does not fit the agenda.

• Like 1

Because a lawfully armed citizen who does not go on a rampage, and instead saves a life, using the minimum force necessary, does not fit the agenda.

:scorn: Ain't that the truth! And if Heath had shot'er, the spin might have been very bad.

Im sorry, I know its corny, but

CHOOTEM ELIZABET!!!!! CHOOTEM

Im suprised you didnt pull the trigger, dude. I guess its better, but damn.

btw Id pull this post down. lawyers n all.

great post.

edit - serous, Id pull it off the forum. fuck that.

Edited by Ben Vampatella
  • Like 3

I'm not worried about getting sued. Having been through it, I am worried about someone getting shot by mistake.

If it helps someone else NOT get shot by the cops for legal use of their CPL, or anything else it can assist with, it's worth the risk. I can't stress enough how important telling the 911 operator there was a CPL holder there. 10 minutes after the first cops arrived, there were still young cops showing up excitedly asking "Somebody has a gun?!" with his hand on his sidearm. Trust me, I'm damn glad these were not the first responders! If this ever happens to you, there will be a LOT of very excited people with guns, who have no idea what is happening, showing up.... (except what they may have heard on the radio...)

I was never so happy to get my gun out of my hand in my life.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I have to be in court on Friday... "Big Crazy" is fighting the charges of assault... non-aggravated (How the hell that works is amazing)

She claims she doesn't remember a thing and is out walking the streets on bail or bond. On the plus side, she was evicted from the apartment complex. The fact they released her to roam the streets and do it again is simply stunning. The fact her lawyer hasn't just copped a plea is mind boggling.

I am just a witness, not the defendant. Also, since I didn't actually have to shoot her, my gun wasn't evidence like elvis's. (I got it back that night.)

Just to give you guys the picture of time here... the courts move sloooooowwwww. I

I'm not certain if she's going to be prosecuted for resisting arrest, assaulting an officer, or the other charges she was arrested on. But my subpoena only mentions the assault case.

I'll update this as I go. Just in case anyone else has to go through it.

I had the cops pull guns on me when I had just moved to California from Michigan. (my friend was mistakenly identified as a bank robber--long story short we were let go) when you walk out in to an alley and hear "Get your fucking hands up" and there are 2 cops with guns pointed at you, that's a very sobering experience lol. Then of course I had the whole hands on the hood of the car while one cop searched me and the other kept his gun on me. I asked them if I could be cuffed instead of having a gun on me, they didn't find it too funny.

Needless to say they apologized after the whole ordeal (the real robber was caught about 15 miles from us) but man that barrel looks a lot bigger when you are staring down it!

Glad you came out ok though, and you did the right thing by not shooting, that's not something you want to deal with.

First off great job Brother. You are a stand out in a sea of sheep. It is very rare that a person wants to stand up for others and in the defense of the weak poor and elderly.

Being new here Its nice to see that most people on here dont automatically jump on the Law enforcement officers for doing their job safely. And from experience I can tell you it isnt as easy to pull the trigger as you might think nor is it easy to live with the fact that you took another persons life justified or not. Those that say it is have never done it.