7.62x39, any FSB other than Bulgarian 74?

Ive been looking into doing the front end conversion for a couple weeks or so. I have no problem using a 74 Bulgarian gas block. When it comes to the FSB though, the only 74 bulgarian ones I see have the 24mm threads on the end, if not a whole 24mm brake. Thats the part I dont like. I want to use my 14-1 threaded barrel.

So what are my options? I see 47 FSBs all over the place, but It looks like their pins are on the top and not the bottom. Is this a big deal or can I just drill the reliefs for the pins on the top of the barrel and go from there? Or is there some other sizing (barrel daimeter) issue that I dont know about?

• 1 month later...

I'm far from an expert but AFAIK just about any AK FSB will work. I think there might be minor differences as far as Yugo FSBs, not sure. I'm getting ready to convert a 7.62x39 and a long-barrel .223 using Polish AKM FSBs. I'll let you know how it goes. big_smile.gif

• 4 weeks later...

I know I'm late chiming in, but a friend of mine simply used a cut-off wheel and removed the thread portion on his FSB. He has a SGL-21 like mine, and found the 14-1 threads under the collar. He cut the collar flush with the front of the FSB and tossed the indexing pin in the trash.

• Like 1

I know I'm late chiming in, but a friend of mine simply used a cut-off wheel and removed the thread portion on his FSB. He has a SGL-21 like mine, and found the 14-1 threads under the collar. He cut the collar flush with the front of the FSB and tossed the indexing pin in the trash.

Better late than never, glad its that easy. Thats just the kind of info Im looking for, as I have no problem diggin into things myself.

• 1 month later...

AWESOME. Any way you can get pictures of this? Do the 14mm threads on the SGL barrel come all the way up to the FSB like on 14mm threaded AKs? Basically I want to know if you can cut off the 24mm threaded section flush with the front of the FSB and then just screw on a 14mm flash hider and be good to go.