Question about mags

Is there any real reason to go with an 8 over say a 10? I could be confused here..but from what I am seeing the reason for the 8 is to fit some holders better. Do I have that right? Is there any feed advantages? Something I missed?

Also I am not a fan of what AGP did and looks like promags have problems. So other than drums I should get more surefire mags or is there someone else I should be looking into?

Surefire is extremely dependable with heavy 3" magnum rounds in their 8 round configuration.

They have a harder time feeding/lifting the heavy 3" rounds in configurations larger than 8 rounds.

That's at least why I personally used to go for an 8 round configuration in a surefire.

I run 10 round SGM and haven't had any issue after about 200 rounds. Any bigger than 10 rounds I prefer drums so I can't speak on them. A 12 round stick is retarded long even compared to the 10 round sticks, but a 12 round drum is a thing of beauty.

• Like 1

I run 10 round SGM and haven't had any issue after about 200 rounds. Any bigger than 10 rounds I prefer drums so I can't speak on them. A 12 round stick is retarded long even compared to the 10 round sticks, but a 12 round drum is a thing of beauty.

I cant say much about the stick mags besides factory, but the 12 round drums are a great magazine that aren't much larger than the factory 5's! I see no need for a 10 round mag with these drums, and if you want 8 rounds in a stick the factory izzys are the only option I would be willing to take. To bad the factory 8's cost so much.

For 5's the factory mags are your best option, but I did get some of the keepshooting.com factory copy's, and they are working as good as factory magazines! for less than 12$ each. I wish they would copy the factory 8's!

xacex

I want a couple of the promag 12 drums but just haven't got around to getting them yet. I got the sticks for the AK look and they fit the bill perfectly. I love the idea of how compact the 12 drums are for their firepower. I have never had an issue with the SGM sticks and plan to abuse them to see what they can take.

I think the 12 round drum might be the best all around magazine I have used (I have used most mags available). Get at least one. I like my AGP magazines over my Surefire because they are slightly smaller. No problems with any of my magazines so far, even the imitation 5 rounders from keepshooting.

Surefire is extremely dependable with heavy 3" magnum rounds in their 8 round configuration.

Not in mine. Factory 3" rounds won't even make it into the chamber with either 8 or 10 round Surefires.

If you didn't toss them yet you might try this trick just to see if you can salvage them; take the 8 round, disassemble it, insert a 5/8" spark plug socket in the top of the mouth just like a shotgun shell would be sitting in there & dip it in boiling water for about 10 seconds then let it air-cool.

As it's cooling, grasp the ends of the spring & stretch it out to add about 6" of overall length to it.

Squirt a quick spray of silicone lube in there, reassemble & test.

You'll likely find reliability goes way up.

Another thing that helps with the surefires is either trying your Russian 5's follower in there or shimming the front of the surefire's follower so it can't rock back & fourth so much.

If one were to have a surefire next to a Russian 5 & they were to see how much the followers rocked back & fourth in the mags they would notice the surefire's rocks quite a bit.

If the follower can rock, that can cause a mag hiccup & slow feed. :(

You can superglue a piece of plastic from something like the cover of old electronics or even those black disposable pots that come with larger plants.

Dress it up & blend the edges as not to add resistance & you'll notice a big difference I bet.

I've found I had to do some kind of tuning to every US made stick mag I've ever owned unfortunately.

After I bought my russian 8's I just dumped most of the dead weight.

TooManyMags.jpg

I kept two AGP 10's that had AGP's older, slightly longer feed-lips for range use.

It's just after experiencing how stout the Russian 8's & MD-20 are, I can't help but look upon all the currently available US made sticks as more like range toys more than anything else.

I did manage to sell 3 of the 6 that I bought on another forum, and then I bought more factory 5 rounders. If I buy more magazines, they will be either Izzy 8s, or some future improved magazine that has yet to be released. Not going to waste any more time or money on the current poorly made US magazines. Even as a range toy I'm not really interested in them because they feel different from the Izzys and don't fit into my mag pouch right, so they've got limited utility for practice.

I dunno. My surefire 12 and 10's have worked consistently with 3" shells, although I have noticed that they get a groove from the reciever by the magwell that lets them wiggle more when I run a lot of heavy ammo.

All my Surefire/SGM mags have worked damned well, even with 3" magnums.

I just cut down my 12s to 10s, so all I have now is 10s.

Waiting-n-wishing for MDArms doublestacks... But then again, may be I might as well wait-n-wish for World Peace. :rolleyes:

The good news is the guy I sold the 3 mags to seems to be happy with them. It's probably just another case of variability in the guns themselves, but somehow Izhmash is able to make a mag that will work with all the guns, but nobody else can. I guess that's to be expected but it's still annoying given the expense and difficulty of getting the Russian 8s.