Just back from the range.

Just back from the range, put another 300 through mine.

I recently bought a cheapo 4x32 short scope from Amazon, and I wanted to see if it would hold a zero on my saiga. (this one NCstar 4x32 rubberized scope ) Held a zero just fine, sighted in just fine. Sufficiently clear image. My biggest complaint is one of the most common: I wish the eye-relief was a bit longer.

Offhand I'm capable of a Minute of Popcan at 100 yards, with german milsurp, which is good enough for me.

So this batch of 300 makes about 1200 rounds through the bugger. I have not had one single misfire, stovepipe, misfeed, or any other error. It's worked perfectly since I bought it, survived being my first conversion, and is still flawless.

I also went out with my S12 today. . . Flawless function from my 2x MD20 drums. My promag 12 drum also functioned flawlessly, though my promag 10rd stickmag had some issues. (I need to fit it better.) Both #8 birdshot and the #4 and 00 buck functioned perfectly. . . until my shoulder was ripped off and I had to reattach it with some gorilla glue. I do think I'll be looking into a muzzle break and recoil pad.

In short, the S308 is more fun, largely due to less recoil.

Surefires are well built but the bolt hold open has its pros and cons , uintas are the reincarnation of fbmg only come in 20 rounders but imo the best poly mag , csspecs haven't had 1 yet seems as though there gonna be great after redesign for a durable metal mag , and promag has some their a lot cheaper they work great but they are lacking a little quality in the plastics durability hope this helps some 1 and of course others may feel differant just my opinion

Almost forgot allied 50 barrel mag due in 4-5 months as said in a email from them .

If my life depends on it, surefires for now. Unitas for range mags... Neither of which will survive field use.

When the CSSpec mags come out, they'll make the rifle viable competition against any of the 308 battle rifles out there.

Edited by Tombs

If my life depends on it, surefires for now. Unitas for range mags... Neither of which will survive field use.

When the CSSpec mags come out, they'll make the rifle viable competition against any of the 308 battle rifles out there.

Hi there Tombs

What would be the problem with those mags during field use? Breakage? Jamming? Just curious. I converted all my 8rnd mags to 10rnd but was curious as to what may cause those aftermarket mags to fail.

Thanks

The only problem with SF is that BHO "feature", other wise its a good mag, CS is better.

If we look at things logically a 15 rd mag is much more manageable than the 20+.

Two reasons:

1. It does not get in the way nearly as much. In particular in prone position.

2. Shorter mag is stronger, less weight less stress. SF is fine at that length, I've shortened all mine to 15 rounds.

CS will have his new mags out in a couple of months and the 15 rounders will be available then from him.

The only problem with SF is that BHO "feature", other wise its a good mag, CS is better.

If we look at things logically a 15 rd mag is much more manageable than the 20+.

Two reasons:

1. It does not get in the way nearly as much. In particular in prone position.

2. Shorter mag is stronger, less weight less stress. SF is fine at that length, I've shortened all mine to 15 rounds.

CS will have his new mags out in a couple of months and the 15 rounders will be available then from him.

Actually, the 25 round surefire makes a nice tripod when shooting from a table at the range. The 20 is just short enough to not do so. Not sure which I prefer, but the 20 round surefire does load better on a closed bolt.