Scope choice for Saiga 5.45: POSP 4x24 or POSP 3-9x42?

Gentlemen,

I am looking for the right scope for a soon-to-be-completed Saiga conversion. The main purpose of this rifle is for use at the target range. I intend to use the irons (or maybe a red dot) out to 150 yards and a scope from 100 to 300 yds (max at my club's range). I want this rifle/scope combo to be flexible -- that is, shooting junk/reactive targets as well as trying to get some good groups on paper.

This is my first AK and I have never touched either scope, although I HAVE shot a friend's 6x24 PSO.

I KNOW the 4x24 is well regarded as the best scope for the AK. But the variable scope seems to offer the ability to do everything from near to far. Is this true? Which scope do you think I'll be happiest with?

Thanks in advance for your input.

DW

I KNOW the 4x24 is well regarded as the best scope for the AK.

It's not the best scope for an AK, it's the most cost effective. There are better optics they just cost 2-3 times as much or more depending on the optic.

Happiness is subjective of course but I'm more a fan of fixed power optics. I actually haven't used a variable power POSP type optic but they should be GTG quality wise, I just don't know how useful that they really are over a fixed POSP. I don't care for greater than 4x for AK's because I don't do a lot of bench shooting for groups, but if I were I'd probably roll with an 8x42...cheaper than the variable powers.

I've heard great things about the PSO 3-9x but it's a $400 optic. I can't think of anyone that has the 2-5x POSP's but to me it's not really worth the extra hundred bucks or so just for 5x vs 4x.

For me it all comes down to price...4x24 beats most optics due to tough construction and excellent price, OTOH the variables creep up pretty quickly in cost and you aren't getting much more than 4x. If you do get something like a 3-9x they tend to cost twice what the 4x24 does and aren't doing a lot more than the 8x42 either. I suppose it would be handy to dial it up and down because after all that's what they're for, however the fixed power scopes are often cheap enough second hand that you could buy one of each and swap them out as you needed.

If you do decide to go with a fixed 4x24, check out the Romanian LPS/TIP2 4x24. It comes with an SVD mount that will need to be changed to an AK mount but the LPS can often be found for less than a hundred bucks second hand...actually much cheaper than the legendary 4x24 POSP. They are non illuminated because the tritium has been removed but otherwise fine optics that are also good quality, they just sit a little higher than a regular POSP.

Also welcome to the forum :beer:

Z

Edited by TX-Zen

The 4x24 POSP may not be available much longer. I notice the AK and Weaver versions are missing from the Kalinka site and when I wrote to ask about it, I didn't get any response. They still list the SVD versions, however. I think the 4x24 AK versions may still be available from Eastwave.

I've had a 4x24 POSP for a few weeks now and like it a lot. I put it on a .308 Saiga and have shot some very good groups with it. I got it from Kalinka and wanted to buy one for my long-barrel .223 Saiga as well as the Weaver version for a muzzleloader. Hate paying more for a scope than I did for the gun and the 4x24 meets my needs perfectly.

I would not spend the extra money on a variable-power scope if the longest distance you will be shooting is 300 yards.

I bought way too much magnification, but Travis likes to set up some targets at 550 to 750 yards, with an occasional bonus target at 900+ for the heavy guns. 14x, where the mildots are accurate, works great out to that distance. 6.5x is overkill inside 300.

I KNOW the 4x24 is well regarded as the best scope for the AK.

It's not the best scope for an AK, it's the most cost effective. There are better optics they just cost 2-3 times as much or more depending on the optic.

Cost is always part of the equation for me, but point taken.

Happiness is subjective of course but I'm more a fan of fixed power optics. I actually haven't used a variable power POSP type optic but they should be GTG quality wise, I just don't know how useful that they really are over a fixed POSP. I don't care for greater than 4x for AK's because I don't do a lot of bench shooting for groups, but if I were I'd probably roll with an 8x42...cheaper than the variable powers.

I've never had a scope on a rifle like this, which is why I'm having a hard time deciding. This is my first modern military-style rifle. However, I have an SKS and I can use the irons on head-sized targets out to 150 yards if there's good contrast. But farther than targets are very hard to see.

SOOOO... you use a scope. I thought the 4x24 would work very well up close, and would probably get me on target out to 200 or 300 yds. The 4x24 looks like it can be had for around $170. Then the "might-as-well" thoughts start. If I spend an extra $100 I get a 3-9x42 that I can use up close on low power and then use high power for 200-300 yds. That my thought, anyway.

For me it all comes down to price...4x24 beats most optics due to tough construction and excellent price, OTOH the variables creep up pretty quickly in cost and you aren't getting much more than 4x. If you do get something like a 3-9x they tend to cost twice what the 4x24 does and aren't doing a lot more than the 8x42 either. I suppose it would be handy to dial it up and down because after all that's what they're for, however the fixed power scopes are often cheap enough second hand that you could buy one of each and swap them out as you needed.

Exactly where I was going with this. I suppose my real question is whether to go with two scopes (red dot, etc. and a fixed high power) or one scope (variable PSOP).

If you do decide to go with a fixed 4x24, check out the Romanian LPS/TIP2 4x24. It comes with an SVD mount that will need to be changed to an AK mount but the LPS can often be found for less than a hundred bucks second hand...actually much cheaper than the legendary 4x24 POSP. They are non illuminated because the tritium has been removed but otherwise fine optics that are also good quality, they just sit a little higher than a regular POSP.

Thanks, will look into that.

Also welcome to the forum :beer:

Thanks, Z!

Well, for 300m shooting you don't need a lot of magnification.. and unless you're competing and trying to hit the X ring (which you aren't going to do with an AK anyhow), you don't need perfect hold overs either.

You can get a nice point-blank zero for shooting at all ranges out to 300 without any hold over and get them into the black.

So, personally, I would just choose a low power scope. The 2.8x Kashtan 1p78 sounds perfect for you.

• 2 weeks later...

For a point, I have a TIP2, came with my PSL rifle. It's plenty clear and sharp, and I feel perfectly comfortable taking shots at up to 300m with it. If I could afford enough 7.62x54R to really practice with, I'd probably be comfortable taking game at up to 600.

For a 5.45, your effective range is about 300m. 6x at 300 means your target looks like it's at 50. If you can effectively hit targets with irons at 150, you could probably hit a target at 600 with a 4x scope.