Bit by the Saiga bug

I'm a big AR guy that had been thinking of a Saiga for a while but had never laid my hands on one. Went to the gun shop a month or so ago looking for something else and noticed a new S12 on the shelf and had to have it. Shortly after, I stumbled onto this board to soak up some knowledge and get ideas for a conversion. The first range trip was excellent. Went through an entire box of Federal bulk and 15-20 rounds each of various slugs and buck without a hiccup. I've been accumulating parts for my conversion over the past couple weeks and found out my last item is shipping tomorrow. Some may not like it, but I love how I'm picturing it in my head. The rundown is as follows:

-Carolina basic conversion kit with their trigger guard and hogue grip

-Push button folding mechanism

-Magpul UBR (originally planned on CTR until I saw a picture of the UBR)

-V-plug

-Alumalite USA concavo HALO barrel shroud

-Chaos Titan quad rail with their H&K style sights

-TangoDown QD vertical grip

-Aimpoint T-1 (still need to find a mount)

-Surefire M300A

-Vickers combat application padded sling

-TangoDown scar pannels

I started the conversion yesterday but ran out of time. The videos from Carolina Shooters have made this much easier than I would have imagined. Hopefully, this time next week I'll be posting pics of my competed S12.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got around to shooting some pics after installing the Krebs safety and Tromix bolt on charging handle. The T-1 mount is from ADM. Can't wait to hit the range.

DSC_0991.jpg

That looks awesome. With the Krebs safety can you just push down on it to release the bolt or do you have to pull the bolt back slightly to allow movement of the safety?

Finally got around to shooting some pics after installing the Krebs safety and Tromix bolt on charging handle. The T-1 mount is from ADM. Can't wait to hit the range.

DSC_0991.jpg

That looks awesome. With the Krebs safety can you just push down on it to release the bolt or do you have to pull the bolt back slightly to allow movement of the safety?

I'll double check tonight but I'm pretty sure you have to pull the bolt back. I think, but I'm not positive that I tried this when I was testing the safety after install.

DSC_0991.jpg

I'll double check tonight but I'm pretty sure you have to pull the bolt back. I think, but I'm not positive that I tried this when I was testing the safety after install.

Excellent. Thanks!

DSC_0991.jpg

Excellent. Thanks!

The bolt WILL drop by using just the safety.