New saiga 12 owner!!!

Finally got my very own saiga 12, ordered from CSS and got a very nice shotgun I do believe.

haven't had the chance to really put some rounds through her yet but so far she's shooting low brass right out of the box! I had a box of winchester xpert target and game load thats 1300fps, their not the value pack so can't confirm if it shoots that yet but will give them a try here soon. I shot 6 rounds of the winchester stuff last night and it cycled all 6 without any problems and the gas setting was threaded all the way in and set 1 which if I understand the manual correctly limits the gas for 3 inch loads, so I would assume that if it shoots fine on 1 it shouldn't have any issues with the walmart value pack.

I shined a light into the gas block I can see 3 ports angled towards the receiver can't tell if there is a 4th or not yet, however one of the 3 ports looks slightly covered by the block but it doesn't seem to be causing any issues yet, but I figure when I do the conversion I'll take a dremmel and remove alittle from the gas block to open that port up alittle more.

From reading the boards it dose seem I have the extended barrel lug for the 2 3/4 shells, I don't have any 3 inch shells to test with just yet but will be picking up some of those as well. The serial number does start with H11 so I assume that means it was manufactured this year. It does have the plastic thread protector on the barrel, that's probably the only thing I don't like but it's really not a issue at all as I'll probably be putting a break or something similar or the end anyway. It feels durable I just don't like the look of it. Oh it is a Legion saiga, don't know much about them so don't know if that good or not but seems I have a very reliable saiga on my hands, I couldn't be happier(well until I convert it ) with it and CSS, they put up with me constantly hounding them to see if my local gun shop had sent their FFL info and was always very nice and responded very quickly.

all in all I'm a happy camper! :beer:

that's good that it is cycling low brass, you can try winchester bulk but if it dosn't cycle it is not the guns fault, winchester bulk is junk ammo that could jam a single shot. if it's one of the new imports, it should have 4 ports, but if it cycles low brass, federal bulk well, i would not mess with the gas system at all because some of the new guns are overgassed

that's good that it is cycling low brass, you can try winchester bulk but if it dosn't cycle it is not the guns fault, winchester bulk is junk ammo that could jam a single shot. if it's one of the new imports, it should have 4 ports, but if it cycles low brass, federal bulk well, i would not mess with the gas system at all because some of the new guns are overgassed

Over-gassed from the factory? :Johnboy:

Flashpoint, it does sound odd that it cycles low brass on the number one gas setting out of the box though. If your gun looks like it's pounding itself hard on high brass, you may want to switch out the stock gas plug for an MD-Arms V-Plug so you can limit the gas a bit better on high brass.

I agree with Hammer about not doing any gas system mods. It sounds like it has plenty of gas.

So after reading your post I inspected the rear trunnion alittle closer and sure enough there is a perfect imprint of the rear of the bolt on the trunnion, is that normal with these? I also noticed yesterday that the dust cover is kind of a pain to get back on, I just figured where it was new and it has the little button that it made it alittle tougher, all I had to compare was my beat to death WASR 10.

Anyways I figured I'd throw a buffer on the recoil spring, the buffer I had was thick and black it didn't look like my blackjack buffer I have, anyways I figured for sure once I put it on that I would have issues, well I've emptied the rest of the 25 round box of low brass I had and not one single FTE or anything, fired like a dream.

makes me wonder if I've got an over gassed saiga, would the Vplug help with over gassing issues? of course I'd still like to be able to shoot low brass too but I don't won't to bash the hell out of the rear trunnion either when shooting slugs or buckshot.

*edit*

didn't see your post there spartacus, so you think the vplug would help with over gassing? Haha and here I was expecting to have to drill more gas ports when I finally got my shotgun, seems quite the opposite now haha which I'd much rather buy a vplug than deal with having to drill the ports haha

Edited by flashpoint08

so you think the vplug would help with over gassing?

The V plug definitely will help with that issue. If it is over gassed, which it seems to have plenty, then this will help control how much gas is used to increase the longevity of your S12. Congrats on the new purchase. They are addicting!

thanks for all the advice guys! I'll be getting a vplug this week for sure, I thought it was weird it kicked so hard on low brass but it's been alittle over a year since I've shot a saiga and I didn't shoot it much then due to the guy being low on shells and I didn't want to shoot all his rounds up so I didn't even think about it being over gassed especially since I was completely expecting it to be under gassed.

I was planning on slapping a vplug in anyways just wasn't expecting it to be so soon haha. Can't wait to get this baby converted either, don't think I've been this happy with a gun purchase since I got my first AK :super: