How do I tell light loads from heavy loads?

for bucks shot and target loads, typically the height of the brass is a give away. target loads will have shallow brass case called "low brass", 00 a tall brass case "high brass". I say typically, because they are now making target loads with "high brass" also the type of shot will also be printed on the plastic case, ie. 00 buck

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

"The reason for HIGH-BRASS goes back to paper hulls. Paper hulls often produced pinhole burn-through(s) parallel to hull powder containment section. When the powder amount was higher than the brass section a burn through could occur. Magnum (additional powder height) paper shot shells were made with a higher brass head to protect against burn through. In those days of past it was not a gimmick but a necessity. I suspect ammo companies continue to use high brass because marketing surveys have told them customers associate high brass with power". I reload all my ammo and use all low brass for slugs, buck shot and bird shot.