SBS Length Preference?

I read around through here and didn't see much recent discussion around SBS length preference. I have seen some comments about the 8" being a little too short and put's the front hand too close to the blast.

What do you all think?

I've placed an order to Red Jacket for an SBS12 and need to finalize length. I'm going to add their new muzzle break which will help but I'm still thinking of going with a 9" or 10".

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. :beer:

I believe the 8" models allow for the barrel to be cut off behind the original gas ports, so there's no need for them to weld them up and grind/machine/reshape the contour of the welds down to match barrel. Generally speaking, most SBS Saigas have the gas block moved back a few inches or so (I don't remember the exact distance). 2.5"?

Obviously, the shorter you go, the more unburned powder can exit the barrel. So the 8" would have a larger fireball than a 12", given the same ammo. I suppose that MIGHT affect velocity to a degree, but it's probably so small a change as to be moot. The difference will likely be seen in concealability, weight, balance, noise and flash. Also, with a Saiga SBS, the ports are usually opened up to allow enough gas to reliably cycle things. The trade off is you'll get more powder, wad material and other residue in the gas block than a standard non-SBS. Just the nature of things.

I remember someone did a study where they cut down a shotgun barrel in one inch increments and tested for pattern change. Someone can post a link to that, if they have it, but as I remember, no matter how short they went (unless cut TO the chamber I guess), spread wasn't affected as much as you'd think. You definitely still have to aim.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input guys and keep it coming!

Right now I am leaning toward a ~10.5" length with includes the new RJF muzzle break.

If I go any longer I'd probably need to switch out the chaos quad rail for something different to take up a longer portion of the barrel

• 1 year later...

Don't want to burst your bubble but the best advice I can give you is to cancel your order with RJF and go with someone who can actually build you a quality gun. Having said that, I prefer 12.5+ inches without cutting down the gas system.

IMG_0703.jpg

After seeing hundreds of Saiga-12s come through the shop- everything from a bare bones shooter to the maxed out accessorized- I conceived this build.

8" barrel with the "Intermediate-length" handguard. To me, the 8" is the iconic original Saiga SBS, and a dream to shoot. The length is perfect- though I do suggest a VFG. Fits in the space of a laptop!

F1.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

IMG_0703.jpg

After seeing hundreds of Saiga-12s come through the shop- everything from a bare bones shooter to the maxed out accessorized- I conceived this build.

8" barrel with the "Intermediate-length" handguard. To me, the 8" is the iconic original Saiga SBS, and a dream to shoot.  The length is perfect- though I do suggest a VFG. Fits in the space of a laptop!

F1.jpg

Any more pics? 

• 1 month later...